cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Everyone Cancel Your Direct Debits for next months contract!

N/A

If your one of those who has been experiencing hellllllllllll internet thanks to plusnet then the best think you can do at the moment is cancel direct debit. This way it wont be just us that be suffering.

Oh and if your contract is finished just cancel your account with plusnet and leave before bt takes over this company.
28 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Why are you suggesting that everyone should do something that will get them black marks on their credit rating? What an irresponsible suggestion.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
N/A

Well I didnt know that.

Ok then is there an organisation or something that we could complain to.

In the last 2 months, plusnet has not given me the service that they have told me for my 2mbs account. So since they are not following the contract I think I should have right to do something about it.

[Moderator's note by James - (sallyandjames): Full quote of preceding post removed as per the link:rules]
Community Veteran

The proper way to go about complaints is described in this post
N/A

Oh thank you.

[Moderator's note by James - (sallyandjames): Full quote of preceding post removed as per the link:rules]
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Yep as Jelv said, there are ways of complaining. Canceling the DD does very little to PlusNet and has implications for yourself.

Given I will probably be applying for a mortgage in six months time, and I want to be successful in doing so - it's not going to be something I will be doing Smiley
N/A

...something that will get them black marks on their credit rating? What an irresponsible suggestion.

I would be interested to know how exactly. As far as I know the only people who can do this are finacial institutions , or a county court.
Please explain.
Community Veteran

Faced with a serious dent in their income do you not think PN would start debt recovery procedures?
Community Veteran

The credit rating companies keep a record of all credit payments you make and this information comes from the companies you are paying. The two main players are Equifax and Eperian.

When you fail to pay then that is recorded against your credit record. If PN pursue debt recovery then that is a bigger black mark on your record.

When you apply for credit from another company, they often check your credit record and if they see several non-payments or a debt recovery notice, they may refuse credit on the grounds that you have had problems paying in the past, especially if that non-payment is recent.

The difficulty is the credit rating record only records the non-payment, not the reasons for it.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 9

Why are you suggesting that everyone should do something that will get them black marks on their credit rating? What an irresponsible suggestion.

Actually, PN take payment in advance I beleive which means that they do not actually offer credit, thus are not a form of financial institution and thus cannot actually affect your credit rating.

They're classed as providing a service not a utility, financial arrangement or credit. To the best og my knowledge they're not allowed to do credit scoring (Unless as someone has suggested, debt collectors get involved BUT seeing as it's paid in advance, debt collectors would be the last resort).
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

PlusNet themselves will not place the black mark on your credit rating; it will be their debit recovery company that will do that.

The basic process that they will follow will be along the lines of;

Suspend your account so that you can not access the internet.
As PlusNet have not signed up to the MAC code of practice, they will withhold your MAC code to prevent you moving to another ISP.

Without any subscriptions coming in at some point they will cancel your broadband, requiring you to pay an activation charge.

After a reasonable attempt to get any outstanding payments from you, they will then pass your debit on to the debit recovery company. Now as debit recovery companies are paid be results. They will use what every means they can to recover the debit, and they are obliged to pass debit information on to the credit reference agencies.

Now you are left with a black mark on your credit records and a bill to reactivate your line. OK, you can ask the credit reference agency to put a note on your file which explains the black mark. But most companies just use your credit score, and never read the comments on your file. Bad score = no credit.
However one little black mark will not have a huge impact. In some case credit card companies have been known to reject customers that always pay their bills on time as they would not earn any interest.

Chilly
N/A

The only way you can get bad credit is like this.
You have a mortgage , loan , credit card or HP .
These are supplied by a financial institution.
If you miss a payment on any of these it is possible that you will get what is called a default on your file. These can only be put there by a financial institution. It is highly likely that you will have to go some months without paying before you get a default.

If you dont pay a bill the company who you owe can sue you for the money. This gives you a county court judgement(CCJ) (if you lose)which goes against your credit rating.

Neither plusnet or a debt collection agency can just give you either of these.
The actions of a debt collection agency suing you on behalf of their customer could get you a CCJ , it would be up to a district judge whether or not to give you this.
N/A

Indeed. Neither Plusnet nor a debt collection agency can affect your credit rating. The only ways this can be done is by delaying paying a financial institution (mobile phones too I think) for credit, or by allowing a debt to get to the County Court Judgement stage. Even in the case of the CCJ, provided you pay the judgement within its terms, you can apply to have the judgement removed from your record.

As far as debt collection agencies are concerned, all you have to do on receiving a letter from one is to write back stating that the debt is disputed and on what grounds. They cannot continue to harrass you after you have made the position clear and the ball is then in the court of the creditor to take you to court. Assuming you have a credible defense it is very unlikely that anyone will take you to court for a small debt, and if your case doesn't go to court you won't have a mark on your credit record (except in the case of financial institutions).

There is a lot of misunderstanding out there about this credit rating business, and unfortunately it works to the advantage of companies claiming money from you whether or not you are happy with that.
N/A

BTW some quite experienced posters have posted a lot of gibberish on this thread and that is really inexcusable. Check your facts first chaps.
N/A

Check your facts first chaps.

I agree; facts must be checked by even the most of prolific posters.