cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Even trying to leave Plusnet is impossible!

N/A

I requested a Mac code on 20th August and I'm still waiting for it. I got a message after a week saying that a MAC code had just been requested. Aren't you legally required to provide a MAC code within 5 days. Why has it been nearly 2 weeks! I'll now be at the back of the queue with Sky Broadband after being one of the first to show an interest. Well done Plusnet once again! My ticket number is : 20093786 if anyone is at all bothered. I'm being ignored as usual on the help pages and its current taken over an hour to get through on the phone.

Mr Edmond Evil Evil Evil

Moderators note by John (johnessex) Over zelous use of emoticons removed.
18 REPLIES
N/A

The MAC process was introduced as part of a self-regulatory initiative, and compliance is voluntary

Full article here

I agree that it should have been provided much sooner.
I assume you have no outstanding payments for defferred activation, hardware etc to authorise?

EDIT:Fixed link to remove search terms not compatible with some .pdf viewers.
N/A

I'd assume in this case you were transferred to an LLU connection.

LLU Mac's can take longer to arrive as Plus have to request them from Tiscali Wholesale rather than being generated internally.
N/A

Sadly Tiscali are named and shamed in the above document as being one of the less zealous when it comes to issuing MAC's.

Good luck if thats the case.
N/A

This is just about the only thing I can't fault them on. I got mine within a few hours.
N/A

Got mine within 24 hours. Obviously it's a hit and miss affair.
N/A

ridiculous - we don't pay tiscali for broadband do we? i could have sworn most paid plusnet here.
N/A

Don't get me started on the continued misuse of the word "unlimited" by ISPs!!

I have complained to the advertising standards authority about this to no avail.
My argument is that if there are limitations of any kind then no ISP should be allowed to use the term "unlimited".
If any ISP says they have an unlimited service they should say exectly what is unlimited.

Moderators note by John (johnessex) Full quote of preceding post removed as per the Link:rules
Community Veteran

Where is the word unlimited used?
N/A

I assume you have no outstanding payments for defferred activation, hardware etc to authorise?

From page 10 of ofcom's doc:

3.1 Ofcom’s view is that there should be no artificial obstacles in the way of customers who choose to move between service providers and products.

...and from page 13:

3.16 The voluntary code of practice states that the LSP may not refuse to issue a MAC on the grounds that the customer is still in contract or owes it money (a practice known as “debt blocking”). The LSP must make alternative provisions for recovering its costs and/or money owed to it by the customer.

...so it's fair to suggest that plus' MAC lassitude should have *nothing* to do with debt (if they adhere to the code.)
timps
Grafter

Paul Spandler
PN have not signed up to this code of practise as i undersatnd it Sad
timps
N/A

ridiculous - we don't pay tiscali for broadband do we? i could have sworn most paid plusnet here.

No you don't. However if the user has been LLU'd then the connection is being supplied by Tisali Wholesale in the same way that BT wholesale are supplying everyone elses.

BT Wholesale allow ISPs to generate their own MACs, at present Tiscali do not. If you dont wish to wait for this to be generated by the line provider, you would be quite welcome to cancel the contract completely and have your line re-activated by the NEW ISP.

Also the MAC scheme in general is currently not an enforcable procedure (ie: they can blanky refuse to give you a MAC if they so want) as they are not a member of the scheme.
N/A

I am very interested in the above.
How do I go about cancelling the contract and then sign up with Sky?
Sky have just sent me my email inviting me to ring to set up my account, thought I needed a MAC code from PN. As such requested it via the automated system last night. Obviously I have heard and seen nothing since.
No surprise as I have had a ticket open since 1/8/06 complaing about the appaling service since transfering to Llu! Have not had any update on that for nearly a week now!
N/A

Hi,

I received an invite for sky but when i called i was told that i have to have a BT MAC not an LLU one.

I cant cancel as i need it for work, any ideas?
N/A

Just been told the same thing.
The only way out is to cancel current contract with PN. Wait around 5 daya for the connection to go. (be without any internet connection/account). Once the account is closed you can then re contact SKY and they will place your order (on a bt line). The pack arrives in 5 days & off you go.

10 days without any internet & the promise of up to 16mb and unlimited I think is worth the wait after the service some of us have had since being shafted by PN and being given to the mercy of Tiscali.