cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Even slower FTP on BB+

Laser
Grafter

Even slower FTP on BB+

Having taken part in discussions about the new throttling of FTP on BB+, I have undertaken a few speed tests over the last couple of days.

I am now getting around 1KB per second download from any FTP site I try. HTTP is great at 240KB/s, email works fine, and I've rebooted my router. I've used way less than 1GB total this month so far. :roll:

If this is the result of deliberate throttling then it is unacceptable. Even using the slightly dubious "contention" argument, I should see an absolute minimum of 2Mbit at 50:1, or about 5KB/s at peak. The 1KB/s is sub-dialup speeds! Evil

I repeat, I am not downloading huge amounts, I am not wanting to leech or abuse the system. I just want to get the occasional few hundred-KB file in something approaching broadband speeds.

I'd appreciate a clear, non-evasive response about policies on the BB+ package, please.
23 REPLIES
N/A

Even slower FTP on BB+

Even using FTP to my plusnet webspace is crawling today - have raised a ticket, so it'll be interesting to see what the response is!
Laser
Grafter

Even slower FTP on BB+

Tried again today. No difference.

A 100KB file (yes kilobytes, not megabytes) was downloading at 0.8KB/s. It took 2 minutes!

C'mon. Be reasonable! :shock:
Ben_Brown
Grafter

Even slower FTP on BB+

Hi there,

As far as I am aware this hasn't been fixed yet but is scheduled to be fixed some time tommorrow.
Laser
Grafter

Even slower FTP on BB+

Thanks for responding Ben. Smiley

I'll have to try again tomorrow.
N/A

Even slower FTP on BB+

Another weekend of slow crawling webspace use :roll: Thats two weeks now where I can't get anything done. Can't even get a directory listing Sad
N/A

Even slower FTP on BB+

I can't upload either. Would it be possible for plusnet to update the service status for web/ftp - currently showing as green ?

http://portal.plus.net/supportpages.html?a=2&support_action=messages&ispservice_id=webspace
Ben_Brown
Grafter

Even slower FTP on BB+

I've updated it now however this shouldn't be affecting many of our customers.

P.S. It will take 10 minutes or so before my update shows on the website.
csogilvie
Grafter

Even slower FTP on BB+

N/A

Even slower FTP on BB+

Would also like to state that I'm on premiere, with this problem.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Even slower FTP on BB+

I've updated it now however this shouldn't be affecting many of our customers.
As I suspected this announcement is or appears to be specific to uploading/downloading to PlusNet hosted websites.
We have identified a problem which is causing some of our customers using the "Broadband Plus" account difficulty uploading or downloading to their websites via FTP
Is this correct or will this include a fix for the present FTP download speeds which was what the OP was complaining about.
Ben_Brown
Grafter

Even slower FTP on BB+

Right, as far as I was aware this was only affecting Plus customers, however I could be wrong on that.

We're doing some work tomorrow which should sort it out, so there's a chance that may fix it for everyone, however if it doesn't we can then look at that issue.
N/A

Even slower FTP on BB+

Can we get clarification on whether this fix is just for plusnet webspace speeds? Less than 1k is not acceptable for other ftp. Even 10k would be fine for me it is only for maintaining some of my websites. It is actually impossible to do anything at the minute as it takes that long that the servers time out.
bj
Grafter

Even slower FTP on BB+

Ben,

What sort of FTP speeds should BB+ customers be getting for downloads?

I raised a ticket because I'm only getting 5KB/s and was advised to change products. But I think I'm the sort of customer BB+ was aimed at - low usage, ex Home Surf.

Bruce.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Even slower FTP on BB+

Sorry Ben but I obviously didn't make myself clear.
I thought the announcement only related to uploads/downloads to their PlusNet hosted websites and was therefore a problem because that was not supposed to be covered by the global shaping policy for BB+.
The OP was complaining about very slow FTP downloads in general as this quote shows
I am now getting around 1KB per second download from any FTP site I try. HTTP is great at 240KB/s, email works fine, and I've rebooted my router. I've used way less than 1GB total this month so far