cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Errrr.......

N/A

Errrr.......

Have Plusnet ever thought about a becoming a wireless ISP?

KeithC
4 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Errrr.......

> Have Plusnet ever thought about a becoming a wireless ISP?
>
> KeithC

Hi,

This is not something we're considering at this time. Are you in an area that can't currently receive broadband?

Regards, Torsten.

--
| Torsten Dettlaff........................Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Customer Support.................................for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd....................@ http://www.plus.net
+ ------ My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet ------ +
N/A

> This is not something we're considering at this time. Are you in an area that can't currently receive broadband?
>
> Regards, Torsten.

Hi Torsten,

We can get broadband when it works. Both FRIACO and ADSL seem to have had a couple of dodgy days. It’s just such a shame that everybody has to rely on BT.

I live in a New Deal for Communities regeneration area, and of course we have a ICT strategy (somewhere!). The Internet could be a lifeline for many old and solitary people, but in this area there are more mobiles than land-line phones. Wireless networks were mentioned in passing , and it seems a good idea to develop the theme if BT can’t keep up with the demand for their services.

I’m not suggesting the use of mobile phones; the services would be too expensive; but I’m sure that radio modems could be developed, so ending the dependence upon BT. I’m sure the ISPs would be only too willing to plough some of their enormous profits into such a worthwhile project. Just think of the phone bills they would save.

And we might find out how to get our ***********! radio mouse working!

KeithC

N/A

> Hi Torsten,
>
> We can get broadband when it works. Both FRIACO and ADSL seem to have had a couple of dodgy days. It’s just such a shame that everybody has to rely on BT.
>
> I live in a New Deal for Communities regeneration area, and of course we have a ICT strategy (somewhere!). The Internet could be a lifeline for many old and solitary people, but in this area there are more mobiles than land-line phones. Wireless networks were mentioned in passing , and it seems a good idea to develop the theme if BT can’t keep up with the demand for their services.
>
> I’m not suggesting the use of mobile phones; the services would be too expensive; but I’m sure that radio modems could be developed, so ending the dependence upon BT. I’m sure the ISPs would be only too willing to plough some of their enormous profits into such a worthwhile project. Just think of the phone bills they would save.
>
> And we might find out how to get our ***********! radio mouse working!
>
> KeithC
>
>

Hi,

I think you've hit the nail on the head with the cost issue. It is an enormous development project that not only requires a new infrastructure but also broadcast licensing. That starts to get extremely costly. Licenses on this scale runs into millions. You mentioned enormous profits...do not be fooled Smiley

Taking BT out of the picture might be good it might be bad. That's not for me to say. Some people have bad very bad experiences with BT. I personally have never really had a huge problem with them. They maintain a massive network. Considering the complexity of colossus, it really isn't down very much. I personally think that when people loose connectivity for 24 hours, they forget too easily about the amount of work that goes into successfully maintaining it for the other x number of hours.

Wireless service provision may be a part of our future. It's unknown at this time.

Regards, Torsten.

--
| Torsten Dettlaff........................Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Customer Support.................................for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd....................@ http://www.plus.net
+ ------ My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet ------ +
benoh
Grafter

Keith,
Here at Plusnet we have an "ideas" section of our database, this enables us to put ideas forward that we think would benefit the company and yours is one that I already put forward a while ago.....

The problem is the cost of setting it up...Currently the governet are selling the 28Ghz? licsences for wireless networking...the liscence for South Yorkshire (Where we are based) is 2 Million alone so as you can see the costs are enourmous...

Obviously, in the future if it does become viable to a smaller ISP such as ourselves then we would be straight onto it but at the moment it isnt really something that can be done.

Even the largest of ISPs havent put a bid in for *ANY* of the liscences available that cover the entire UK!!!!

I do believe that the future will see wireless network taking off over fixed lines as it is obviously a more cost effective and scalable way to go, but until such a time comes that it is worth the investment to setup I dont think you'll see much interest other than for large corporate businesses as an alternative to leased lines.

Ben O'Hara
Network Support analyst
Plusnet Technologies Ltd.