cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error 721

N/A

Error 721

I've been on Broadband for 3 days now, but for the entirity of yesterday and today I haven't been able to connect, and i'm currently on my uncancelled 56K account.

I keep getting "Error 721-Remote Computer failed to respond".

On the first day of having broadband I had trouble getting to synch all the time, but that's all sorted now. I just can't seem to get connected. I'm wonderring whether or not a blip has been made that's disallowed my access (sorry if this seems preposterous i don't really know how it works) or whether it's the little thing i've noticed with the window that i can open that shows state, modulation, Data Rate, link status and Data Activity- The link status is staying green, so it is in synch, but when i try to log on the data activity transmitting only occasionally flashes yellow, and i get no indication that it's receiving data.

I'm wonderring whether this is a common problem, and whether or not it could be due to the Connections Box in my house that connects all the phone lines around the house together, as it is very very old, and the cables are quite loose.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as even after only a day of BroadBand I've already noticed the tedium in going back to 56K.

Edit- If it helps i'm on the binatoneADSL500 USB Broadband Modem and a regular BT phone line.
8 REPLIES
lhorwath
Grafter

Error 721

Hi there,

From looking at your connection logs (which I have PM'd to you), it looks like a wiring or possibly a hardware issue.

Can you try connecting to the master socket directly with no other devices on the circuit. Do you get the same fault?

kind regards

Luke
N/A

Error 721

First off thanks for the very quick reply!

And as for connecting to the master socket i'm not sure I can, as in the house we have a very very old box, and all the cables are split, then screwed into the wall, and i'm really not confident in alterring that.

Would it indicate hardware failure if i said i was using my 56k connection through the same microfilter as my broadband connection, and my 56k ran fine?

I've also just had my dad refine the cables in our old screw-in box, so it's not a wiring problem there- the wires are wired exactly the same as they were when Broadband was working, and the modem is still synchronising ok.

I'm just dreading now that maybe my modem's somehow become faulty (all i've done with it is install it, plug it in and rest it afoot my unit...).
lhorwath
Grafter

Error 721

Hi there,

To be honest it seems more like a wiring issue than a hardware fault. The fact the 56k modem works, does not unfortunately help us in this case as ADSL and dial up are different technologies.

Even though you have this connection box in place, you should still be able to connect directl into the main socket in the house. If the problem exists there, than we can raise this to BT and get a better understanding of where the fault might lie.

kind regards

Luke
N/A

Error 721

This probably seems like a rather stupid question, but where abouts is the main socket usually kept in a house? As our connection box divides into 4 cables- 1 for the 3 rooms with a telephone socket, and 1 leads outside of the house i presume to the telephone lines.
N/A

Error 721

By the sounds of things, you have and old old style termination point.

This is the last point of the network, that BT officialy own, and as such, you can't alter it. Although you own the extention points in the house, and the cable that joins them, you can't open the connection box to disconnect or connect any more.

I would sugest raising this as a fault through PlusNet, as you may find you are able to have this replaced free of charge.
N/A

Error 721

I've rang up BT about the problem, and they say that unless there is a clear fault with the box it'll cost me £30 to replace. It just seems odd that as soon as i got broadband (well 1 day later anyway), the connection box has gone...

Thanks very much for bearing with me, just a bit disgruntled that I (well my dad) paid £100+ a week ago to upgrade to Broadband and it only worked for one day.
lhorwath
Grafter

Error 721

Hi there,

raise a fault through the contact us section of the website and we will investigate further and if necessary, pass this to BT for you.

regards

Luke
hitachi
Grafter

Error 721

Hi

I cant see it mentioned but may have missed it, Make sure every phone ,fax,sky box passes through a micro filter, and that the adsl modem goes through the adsl side of the filter and not the phone side through an extension lead.

Cheers
Andy