cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Erratic speeds since free upgrade

Novocastrian
Grafter

Last weekend, 7th / 8th May, my line was upgraded from 1 to 2 Mbps under the free upgrade scheme. At that point speeds dropped from my usual 940 to around about 400 kbps. Following the advice given in these forums, I phoned support, explained the situation and within about 15 mins my account was changed from Lite to PAYG and throttling was removed. My download speed increased to about 1600. Since then however, the speeds attained have been variable to say the least.
Looking at the results of the Plusnet speed test and also the ADSLguide test, it seems that quite good speeds are attained early morning, 1800 / 1900 kbps, but during peak hours at night they are down to 400 / 500

Does the fact that I get decent speeds consistently off peak prove that there is nothing wrong with my modem or filters, and that the fault is with either BT or Plusnet? Or is that too simplistic?
12 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Check the state of your exchange using the tool here
Novocastrian
Grafter

Sorry John, should have mentioned that I had already checked that.
The exchange is NENTE, Newcastle East
VP capacity green
Port capacity amber
Community Veteran

OK next step when it gets to a slow period is to try the BT speed tester as this removes PlusNet from the equation and just tell you what your equipement and the line to BT are doing.
see FAQ here for the tester.
Novocastrian
Grafter

Just done a quick check with ADSLguide and my speed is starting to pick up a bit. I will have a go at the BT tester tomorrow evening during peak time when my connection is almost guaranteed to be slow.
I will post the results here tomorrow. Thanks for your help John.
Novocastrian
Grafter

Results of the BT speed test
Ran three tests this morning in quick succession at about 10:00am
1: 1658 kbps
2: 1313 kbps
3: 1277 kbps
The ADSLguide test at this time showed 1586 kbps

Ran three more BT tests tonight at 7:45pm
1: 446 kbps
2: 435 kbps
3: 462 kbps
ADSLguide test shows 429 kbps

I will run some more BT tests at about 6:45am tomorrow. I suspect that these will show speed nearer 1800 / 1900 kbps.

All help and advice appreciated.
Community Veteran

If your seeing those slowdowns on the BT speed test then it looks like there is some serious contention along the route from your exchange to the BT system. Sad

Not sure how you go about getting this resolved but raising a link:Contact us ticket with the above information may be a good start. PlusNet could then persue that with BT and see if it can be sorted. :?
Novocastrian
Grafter

Thanks again John. I've raised a ticket, ( 16572790, just in case anyone from Plusnet reading this fancies the challenge).
I will post back here to report any progress.
N/A

I get this too. Im superfast at some times and then super slow at others.

wizard
N/A

Same here - I was on 1MB for 18 months, used it a lot at all ours, and never ever notcied any slowdown. Never had a speedtest under 930kbps in 18 months.

I got upgraded for free by BT to 2Mbps, and noticed extremely sporadic speed changes. Often I'm testing 1950kbps - great - but I've also had long periods of 200-300kbps, with what appears long delays in DNS (or at least - long pauses to initiate connections to a website, and then just pretty slow downloading it once started.)

'Port capacity' at my exchange is red, whatever that means, but it has been several times in the past year with no noticeable issues. It also says that BT reports no problems with the 50:1 service.
N/A

Does nobody understand contentionHuh

If you've got a 50:1 contention ratio, then you should expect only 20kbps on a 1Meg line.

Any better, and you're laughing.
Novocastrian
Grafter

Thanks again John. I've raised a ticket, ( 16572790, just in case anyone from Plusnet reading this fancies the challenge).
I will post back here to report any progress.

The following is the response to my ticket:

2005-05-20
12:27:06
Customer Support Centre Assigned : One shot check shows variable speeds at different times of day. Exchange is green on exchange checker to goto BT.

Regards,
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2005-05-20
12:29:19
Customer Support Centre Assigned : Now with BT ref : 1-5UGKV9 / 01378145

Regards,
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2005-05-23
15:47:30
P&F - DSL Logged Faults Assigned : Dear Mr ******,
BT have determined that your line will not support the 2Mb service reliably and have put you back to 1Mb accordingly, please can you confirm if this has fixed the problem?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My response to the above, (posted 23rd May), was that:
Yes, I am back on a 1 Mb connection
No, the problem is not solved.
The speeds I am attaining are still erratic but slower than ever.

After a week, no one from Plusnet has responded to this.

A new complication has arisen. My exchange, previously green, is now showing red with a fix scheduled for June 16th.

Two questions:
1: Why is it that prior to the 2mb upgrade I got a consistent download speed of 940kbps on a 1mb connection, but now, back on 1 mb, I can only get at best 800 and at worst 350?
2: If BT perform some magic at my exchange, will I, having failed once already, still be eligible for a free upgrade to 2mb.

Any chance of some answers from Plusnet either here or on my ticket (16572790)?
suec45
Grafter

I would reckon that its a problem with BT and the exchange if they have said that it will be fixed in June. Unfortunate but inevitable I think.

It seems that your exchange may be suffering badly from contention and they are upgrading it. At least you know that it will be fixed.

The exchange was probably fine until a lot more people took up broadband and then contention kicked in. They will add another pipe or whatever they do to add more bandwidth.