cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Erractic Pings over the last week...

suec45
Grafter

Hi there, I have always had very constant good pings while gaming, up until around a week, since then I am getting spikes up to 1000ms and sometimes getting kicked for having a too hi ping. Pauses and breif lag.

I was wondering if its anything to do with the apparant upgrades because people are reporting that when their exchange has been upgraded and they are still throttled by plusnet that they have been getting erratic speeds.

As our exchange was down for upgrade in May and its the end of MAy I thought this may be the reason.

Could anyone from PN please investigate this?

Thanks.
50 REPLIES
suec45
Grafter

I have noticed that it just seems to be mainly traffic from abroad or maybe specific countries which is affected. If I try and play on some COD servers abroad pings are registering at over 300ms which are usually about 50-70, therefore I get kicked for a ping over 200ms.

Also my brother playing EVE online has had connection problems when that game really isnt as important to have a low ping. I beleieve the server is in the USA.

EDIT: I have discovered that a lot of the servers I am having trouble with are located in Sweden, is anyone else having htis trouble?
N/A

yep I have noticed this for the last couple of weeks
used to be about 30 , now averaging around 40-50 and upwards
my exchange vp capacity is green and port capacity amber
downloads and speed tests are fine, but as usual latency is an afterthought?
N/A

Me too,
I have been getting lag city for the last few days, anyone know whyHuh
suec45
Grafter

Still the same 8 hours later, a ping of 360-370 on my favourite Call Of Duty server located in Sweden when its usually 60-80.

I am not being daft about this, I understand that you will always get SOME lag spikes and I am not mad for a super low ping, just a playable one to make the games enjoyable. It makes me laugh when people complain about their ping going up by 10ms and stuff like that but when I am getting kicked for a ping over 200ms this seems a bit excessive.

It is not spikes either, this is a constant ping of 360-380.

The server is the Skywalker COD UO server, http://www.skywalkerconwar.com/ if anyone else would like to try it out and see if it pings ok for them. Annoying cos its by far my favourite and all my mates play on there.
N/A

You arnt alone, i playe EvE-Online as well and i getting nasty lag spikes causing my ship to bounce around everywhere.
suec45
Grafter

Magic, is that just recently or has this been going on for a while??

The ping to my favourite Swedish COD server seems to have gone back to normal now after a few false starts, but still getting lag spikes.

Its not TOO bad as I only play for fun, but its just that it was perfect before.

This started happening about 1-2 weeks ago for me.
N/A

Me three, I even get 500 ms pings on the Plusnet gaming servers. Also my 2mbit line down speeds are about only 900kbps.
N/A

MMM

My brother just migrated from plusnet to zen yesterday due to ongoing problems
and says his latency problem is solved.
so maybe not a local problem my end after all.
N/A

not gettin anything as extreme as 500ms, but i've noticed my ping being pretty much double what i'd expect to certain servers (90ms, rather 30-40). Doesn't sound too bad but it fluctuates making it dificult to compensate. this has happened twice over the last couple of weeks, if it continues i'll seriously consider moving provider as gaming is the #1 reason for me havin bb Sad
suec45
Grafter

Just trying to play now, its Sunday afternoon and very busy on the net raffic graph, pings are awful for me to my favourite server, spikes of over 300ms unplayable really.

I guess this means its a PN network problem Sad
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 69

Hi there,

It would be handy if those having problems could paste traceroutes to the thread, which would show whether or not the problems reside within the network. I can't think of anything that has altered with regards to our network architechture that would result in this.

Kind Regards,

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

suec45
Grafter

'paste traceroutes to the thread,'

What does this mean Bob?
N/A

type "tracert www.plusnet.co.uk" (or some other server) in the command prompt window

under accessories in win xp

then select all
copy and paste to this forum

probably of no use though in identifying erratic pings
N/A

I'm having problems too, the server i have played on for the last yeah or so would have a ping of aroud 40-50 but now i'm getting around 150-160! they kick players with pings of over 120 so I can't play, also can't find any servers now with pings under 100!! This is my first week on plus.net and am a bit worried by the performance upto now.

Here is my traceroute

C:\Documents and Settings\roester>tracert 212.42.16.139

Tracing route to opt01.multiplay.co.uk [212.42.16.139]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 192.168.1.1
2 156 ms 155 ms 152 ms lo1.plusnet.pth-ag2.plus.net [195.166.128.6]
3 154 ms 153 ms 148 ms gi1-2.801.pth-gw3.plus.net [84.92.2.6]
4 150 ms 153 ms 155 ms gi4-0-22.pth-gw1.plus.net [212.159.4.4]
5 156 ms 158 ms 156 ms lonap1.lon3.as8553.net [193.203.5.110]
6 141 ms 144 ms 140 ms fe0-1.lonthr2.qix.co.uk [193.203.5.122]
7 149 ms 146 ms 143 ms fe0-0.lonthr1.qix.co.uk [193.203.5.123]
8 148 ms 160 ms 156 ms opt01.multiplay.co.uk [212.42.16.139]