cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Er, I'm confused...

sjkirky
Grafter

Er, I'm confused...

OK, I'm feeling a little naive at the moment. I've been glossing over some recent forum posts, and am a little confused by things. This is no reflection on anyone other than myself, though. My head's a wee bit muddled just now.

I have a question I was wondering if people/customer support might be able to help me with...

I am on the 512K broadband home package. I've read some stuff about 1Mb being available at same price or for an upgrade price. Definitively, if I wanted to move to 1Mb, how much would it cost a) intially and b) per month?

Sorry to sound like a complete n00b (I'm not, honest!), but I'm always looking for a bargain.

All help and understanding appreciated. Cheers...
3 REPLIES
N/A

Er, I'm confused...

My understanding is it'll cost you £14.99 to convert from your current account to a 1Mbps account.

The monthly charges then depend on your chosen "bandwidth" at the 1Mbps rate, starting at £14.99 per calendar month for a 1MB throughput account, with various intermediate rates up to £29.99 for the 1Mbps "Premier" account which provides unlimited throughput. (This is exactly the same arrangement as for the 512kbps Broadband Home account.)

As with the 512kbps Broadband Home account, if you choose a limted "bandwidth" product, you're allowed to exceed your rated bandwidth, but will pay an additional charge each month you do so. For the 1Mbps account the charge is £2.00 per additional gigabyte (which compares with £1.90 per extra gigabyte for people on the 512kbps accounts). Note that, for people who change now (the significant date is "after 26 August 2004") there is no maximum amount beyond which you do not get charged for the extra capacity you use -- unless you have an "unlimited" (Premier) account, the more you use the more you will pay, at £1.90 per additional gigabyte. People who were on the 1Mbps non-Premier service prior to 26 August will pay a maximum of £34.99 in any one month no matter how much they use. This is a significant difference in how the accounts work for people whose accounts started pre- or post- 26 August. (Of course, as someone thinking of moving now, unless you are on the Premier account at the time of reckoning, you will pay at the £1.90 per extra gigabyte rate with no capping of the fee. The Broadband Home account does, of course, allow you to change your bandwidth at will, so by careful monitoring, it should be possible to minimise costs, jumping on to "Premier" in the nick of time, and coming off it again when you don't need so much throughput.)

The details are in the Broadband Home FAQ.
sjkirky
Grafter

Er, I'm confused...

Excellent. Ta much for that one.

Just one more question - I'm not a big P2P user (well, I'm not any P2P user because the ports are blocked on my ADSL). Would this still be the case if I upgraded with a variable bandwidth?

Cheers again...
N/A

Er, I'm confused...

No, with the Broadband Home accounts there are no P2P restrictions, but if you're concerned about people attempting to use P2P programs (and consuming huge amounts of "bandwidth" you will have to pay for), there's a tool under Connection settings which allows you to block the frequently used P2P ports.