cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Epic struggle

N/A

Epic struggle

Evil

Well after 12 days of my shiny new broadband connection I've logged on precisely 0 times. Error 718 will plague my dreams forever! Both bt_test logins give the same error.

I thought progress was being made last week when the problem was assigned to BT on the 9th Feb but they came back with a 'no faults found' response. Therefore PN asked me to once again reset my equipment, unplug other extensions but reply in 5 days or else BT will automatically close the fault.

Well you guessed it, despite me posting a response on the 9th Feb, BT closed the fault today!! So phoned PN this morning (7am), helpful chap said he would phone BT at 9am but so far BT haven't been contacted (12pm). I know this because I managed to phone BT wholesale who were very helpful but were unable to resurrect a fault/raise a new fault unless contacted by PN.

I have tried the customer helpline but in my experience the call waiting is about 30 minutes during the day, bit tricky when at work.

I realise that when the broadband service is split between two providers, BT and PN, the temptation for them is to blame each other thus delaying the fault fixing process. However I'm incensed that PN have allowed the fault to lapse with BT despite asking me to respond within the 5 day notice period.

Does anyone know how much I would be charged if I abandon PN for another provider? I think with Broadband plus I agreed to a 12 month contract and I'm 12 days into it.

If anyone at PN wants to look at the ticket it is no. 18639736
17 REPLIES
N/A

Epic struggle

Hi and welcome to the forums.

Sorry to hear of your problems. When was the last update on your ticket and what did it say?

Strictly speaking I would be working on the premise that the service has never been supplied and therefor your liability would be nill, but I am no expert.

However, this is without doubt a BT problem and is better resolved than carried with you to your next ISP.

Add a comment to your ticket asking for an update and an explaination as to what is happening.
N/A

Epic struggle

Hi, thanks for the response, at least in the Forum someone's listening.

Whoops sorry I need to be less cynical!

The last two responses are here :

2006-02-10
16:53:58
You
Assigned : Hi,

Re-installed drivers for modem. Unplugged all extensions then plugged modem directly into master socket as requested.

Error 718 occured for :

bt_test@startup_domain
bt_test_user@plusdsl.net
tpotppot@plusdsl.net

DSL light is steady.

Modem and laptop works ok on friends broadband connection.

Regards

Tony
2006-02-15
07:35:28
Link:CUAremoved
Customer Support Centre Assigned : Please re raise fault to BT as BT closed it,

Regards,
Link:CUAremoved

I agree that I would probably have this problem with any ISP, so for now I'll stick with PN. I hope it's fixed before the next payment is due however.

Tony
holdtight
Grafter

Epic struggle

Hi there and welcome to the forums

Error 718: PPP Timeout
This error indicates a connection was made with the server and a PPP conversation started, but was terminated because the remote server did not respond within an appropriate time.

I would also recommend checking the status of your exchange Here to see if there are any issues there

This would definately appear to be a BT problem so it wouldnt matter which isp you were with you would still have the same problem so dont be fobbed off by BT it is there problem to fix

good luck

Bill.
N/A

Epic struggle

Hi Tony,

I have removed the CSA name from your post. I shoud have mentioned that when I asked you about the ticket. Sad

As the ticket was last actioned at 0735 this morning there is still time for the team to get back to you today and hopefully make progress.

Keep us up to date with developments, but i agree that this is dragging on a bit for a new activation.
N/A

Epic struggle

Hi Mark,

Yes, sorry about the CSA name, thanks for removing them.

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the link, the exchange status looks ok.

Tony
N/A

Epic struggle

Hi There

sorry for the delays but let me assure you of one thing you will not be charged for this lost time as soon as we confirm this is a BT fault. It is just a case of getting the issue diagnosed and then solved so we know what the correct way of ensuring your billing is right is.
N/A

Epic struggle

Hi Stewart,

Well it's good to hear some good news, thanks.

Regards

Tony
N/A

Epic Struggle Two

Hi,

Well unfortunately there has still been no response to my request for the faults department to raise a fault with BT. Yesterday I phoned customer services at 7am and was told that BT would be contacted, apart from the call being logged on the ticket nothing else happened. Again today at 7am I phoned, again the call was logged and yes you guessed it nothing has happened.

Perhaps the faults department is under resourced, perhaps through sickness, holidays I don't know. I know all faults are dealt with on a rotational basis but over 6 days and still no response?

I've now had to give notice that in the case of no action by Monday evening (20th Feb) I'll have to cancel my contract, shame but I'd like broadband somewhen in 2006!

Kind regards

Disillusioned.
N/A

Epic struggle

Sorry to hear about your problems. I hope you get it sorted out, but I can understand being extremely disillusioned when still having no broadband after over two weeks.
Good luck!
Community Veteran

Epic struggle

Unfortunately BTw is one company that doesn't like to do things quickly!

You should also be aware that moving to another supplier may cause even more delays and complications especially one that doesn't get on with BTw too well, luckily PN do and this does tend to get things sorted slightly quicker than it would for some other ISPs, however it takes a lot of pushing and shoving to get the colossus that is BTw into action
N/A

Epic struggle

Well another day has passed without even a comment being added to my ticket, let alone any action started. Since PlusNet have already agreed that the problem lies with BT all that needs to happen is for someone to read my ticket and phone them up. The tricky bit is waiting for someone to get round to reading the ticket. Last contact from the faults department was at 13:43pm 7 DAYS AGO!

Oh well BT broadband here we come, at least they and BTw might talk to each other.

Cheers

Tony
N/A

Epic struggle

Oh well BT broadband here we come, at least they and BTw might talk to each other.

Good luck. I never found they did, and for various (mainly competition/regulatory)reasons the two companies are not supposed to have any more contact or influence with each other than any other ISP would.
And from my previous experience with BT as an ISP, if you think customer support here is slow, well, you'll be lucky to get anything out of BT once they've taken your cash.
N/A

Epic struggle

I think the difficulty arises in situations like this where customer expectations are not met.

The customer is blind in these scenarios and relies on communication from the ISP so that at least they are reassured and know that the problem is in hand and not forgotten.

We see this all too often, there is no doubt that Plus net will get this sorted, but the end user, especially a new one only see perceived inaction and that sends out the wrong signal.

ADSL faults and provisioning issues need to be better communicated. i have said this many times, as have others.
N/A

Epic struggle

You're probably right there, there's nothing anyone can do while small pieces of paper move around between people's desks inside BT Wink But it is a key time for communication.
It seems as if there are a myriad of other wider problems going on at the moment and no doubt customer services are completely overrun and just dealing with tickets that have bug flashing 'read me' notices on them. I guess that is one flaw with the ticketing system.
It's a shame Sad Communication used to be clear and quick round here.