cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enough

Dean
Grafter

Enough

OK - I've had enough for tonight :-) I've taken the following actions for tomorrow.

[1] "Not sure if interleaving is turned on by default on a house move but I'll find out."

[2] "Hamachi / TeamSpeak ?" - W.T.F. are they :-) and why the high pings?

[3] "Exchange Status Checker process" - is is misleading?

[4] "Virtual Path = RED" - What does RED *really* mean?

[5] High pings at peak for certain protocols re: screenshots / data dumps provided.

I'll find and provide some answers tomorrow.

Dean
9 REPLIES
N/A

Enough

What about finding out why p2p speeds are running akin to dialup or less at any time of the day except 1am->5am ?
N/A

Enough

Ta Dean!
N/A

Enough

What about finding out why p2p speeds are running akin to dialup or less at any time of the day except 1am->5am ?

Because:

a) Plusnet don't have enough bandwidth available
b) P2P speeds are prioritised to be the lowest, so they only use up "leftover" bandwidth
c) Plusnet don't have enough bandwidth available
d) Plusnet's servers seem to ground to a halt come 4pm.
c) Plusnet don't have enough bandwidth available
Dean
Grafter

Re: Enough

[1] "Not sure if interleaving is turned on by default on a house move but I'll find out."

still looking into this one. The answer(s) I am getting are conflicting so will dig deeper into it tomorrow.

[2] "Hamachi / TeamSpeak ?" - W.T.F. are they :-) and why the high pings?

The issue occurs where two DSL accounts are on the same gateway and the traffic is not marked appropriately (Hamachi was not on our radar). There is an open problem within the system to solve this (for a number of protocols) and we hope to have this implemented by the end of November.

A short term solution for 2 users both with PlusNet is to ensure you are on different gateways by reconnecting.

[3] "Exchange Status Checker process" - is is misleading?

Yes - see [4]. Were reviewing the detailed process tomorrow and identify improvements.

[4] "Virtual Path = RED" - What does RED *really* mean?

If the VP is Red it means it is running 'hot' and there should be dates alongside that advise when new Hardware capability will be supplied.

The HOT VP's have capacity but throughput slowdowns can be expected at peak times on that exchange. Some users may experience slowdowns whereas others don't depending on the type of traffic being requested. ie. HTTP may seem fine on a "hot" VP although P2P or FTP doesn't

With regards to the dates that have expired (ie. the date next to the exchange information is in the past) - this is one of the issues we are chasing with BT. They are also providing information re: the number of exchanges in a red status so we can better manage expectations.

[5] High pings at peak for certain protocols re: screenshots / data dumps provided.

Still looking into this one. Again contradictory / too much information which I'm not understanding.

So I'll keep questions [1] & [5] open until I have the answers.

Dean
channel
Grafter

Enough

Dean,

Just to say that I am warming to your honesty in this thread. I hope you can continue to answer questions in this way. Simple answers to simple questions is all that is needed.

(PS: As you are finding some of the answers to the questions confusing (being an ISP-type-o-guy-and-all) then do spare a thought to your customers who, prior to your common sense approach, have had to deal with a load of techhy nonsense. Then ask yourself whether that might be one of the reasons they are revolting.)
N/A

Enough

Quote:

still looking into this one. The answer(s) I am getting are conflicting so will dig deeper into it tomorrow

I'm pretty sure that some time ago somebody from Comms mentioned that all new provides are having interleaving turned on by default.

Supposing this is the case still, that would answer the question for house moves too surely?

Perhaps you could also check out the position generally on new provides/interleaving. Would be helpful to know if both are treated in the same manner.
csogilvie
Grafter

Re: Enough

With regards to the dates that have expired (ie. the date next to the exchange information is in the past) - this is one of the issues we are chasing with BT. They are also providing information re: the number of exchanges in a red status so we can better manage expectations.

An update has just been applied to the exchange checker so it should be up-to-date as of Monday.
pppbm
Grafter

Enough

Thanks for the note but is that Monday past or Monday next?
Mine has changed but, as usual, all that has happened is that they have put a new forward date which in all probability they will allow to come and go before putting yet another forward date!
Everything [several different sources] tells me that I should br getting around 7Mb but the reality is far from that.
Speedtest shows anything between 560 kb/s and 4381 kb/s (download) with mid 300's on upload - all this after a month of being 'Uprated' - but ho hum I guess I simply expect this of +Net these days, just as I am sure BT cannot cope with providing a proper service whilst having to count all that money they are raking in - priorities rule!
csogilvie
Grafter

Enough

Monday past (6/11)