cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Engaged Tones and Slow Speeds

N/A

Engaged Tones and Slow Speeds

Rather than adding to the bottom of at least 18 earlier entries ......

I was also having difficulties with engaged tones last evening (Monday) from Devon - which really IS nowhere near Sheffield!!

Like Steve, I am also seeing very slow access speeds once logged on. It has certainly been getting worse over the past weeks.

2 questions:

1. Was there any resolution to the GENERAL complaint about the engaged tones last night?

2. How, if at all, can I tell if I am in fact sharing the line with MORE than the other (max) 19 people that is promised with Connect 20? (or do I have this wrong?)

I get the feeling that any problems with ADSL are impacting the attention paid to the Connect service!!!
9 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Engaged Tones and Slow Speeds

> Rather than adding to the bottom of at least 18 earlier entries ......
>
> I was also having difficulties with engaged tones last evening (Monday) from Devon - which really IS nowhere near Sheffield!!
>
> Like Steve, I am also seeing very slow access speeds once logged on. It has certainly been getting worse over the past weeks.
>
> 2 questions:
>
> 1. Was there any resolution to the GENERAL complaint about the engaged tones last night?
>
> 2. How, if at all, can I tell if I am in fact sharing the line with MORE than the other (max) 19 people that is promised with Connect 20? (or do I have this wrong?)
>
> I get the feeling that any problems with ADSL are impacting the attention paid to the Connect service!!!

AHA! so I am not alone, I am on the Goring on Thames Exchange and I had engaged tones too. Speeds are appalling and I am now seriously considering going elsewhere. Unfortunately ADSL has not reached my exchange and as only 250 or so peeps have registered an interest I fear it will be some time before BT upgrade.
http://www.freeware.mcmail.com/435.htm

N/A

Same probs as yesterday, just taken 12 attempts
to log on, browsing very sluggish again.
What gives support?
N/A

> Rather than adding to the bottom of at least 18 earlier entries ......
>
> I was also having difficulties with engaged tones last evening (Monday) from Devon - which really IS nowhere near Sheffield!!
>
> Like Steve, I am also seeing very slow access speeds once logged on. It has certainly been getting worse over the past weeks.
>
> 2 questions:
>
> 1. Was there any resolution to the GENERAL complaint about the engaged tones last night?
>
> 2. How, if at all, can I tell if I am in fact sharing the line with MORE than the other (max) 19 people that is promised with Connect 20? (or do I have this wrong?)
>
> I get the feeling that any problems with ADSL are impacting the attention paid to the Connect service!!!

Hi there,

There are service wide problems with FRIACO at the present time. If you are still having problems with this please raise a ticket on your account and we will investigate further.

Just to clarify any service issues with ADSL would not usually affect the FRIACO service as the two are run independently.

--
Regards,
Rob

| Robert Kelly...............Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Technical Support......................for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd............@ http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet ----- +

mickm
Grafter

It is just as bad here in rural Northants.

Speeds vary between 26K and 42K with the lower end getting much more common.

After the modem connects there is then another long delay waiting for authentication which often fails.

With failure to connect the modems and failure to authenticate after the modems connect, it typically takes between 5 and 10 attempts to log in.
N/A

> It is just as bad here in rural Northants.
>
> Speeds vary between 26K and 42K with the lower end getting much more common.
>
> After the modem connects there is then another long delay waiting for authentication which often fails.
>
> With failure to connect the modems and failure to authenticate after the modems connect, it typically takes between 5 and 10 attempts to log in.

Hi there,
There is still a general problem with FRIACO access for a number of customers, we hope to have this resolved in the very near future.

--
Regards, Support

--
| Paul Martin.....................Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Customer Support Agent..............for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd..........@ http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet ----- +
N/A

> It is just as bad here in rural Northants.
>
> Speeds vary between 26K and 42K with the lower end getting much more common.
>
> After the modem connects there is then another long delay waiting for authentication which often fails.
>
> With failure to connect the modems and failure to authenticate after the modems connect, it typically takes between 5 and 10 attempts to log in.

Just to set the record straight, your actual connect speed doesn't really mean much, downloads achieved after connecting are what count. To see what I mean get yourself a free copy of NET MEDIC then all will become clear
N/A

I am getting slow connection speeds too - usually around 38666, I have just raised a ticket for it. Engaged tones are common too.

I have just moved house, so I don't know whether its my phone line, FRIACO, BT, or Plusnet to blame!!
mickm
Grafter

>
> Just to set the record straight, your actual connect speed doesn't really mean much, downloads achieved after connecting are what count. To see what I mean get yourself a free copy of NET MEDIC then all will become clear
>

Not entirely true - I'm a retired networking expert!

Yes there are all sorts of factors that affect actual download speed but a modem connection at 26K will limit the overall speed even if all other factors (error rate, compression ratio etc) are favourable.
N/A

From my experience, the connect speed does not actually mean the transfer speed. My download rate mostly exceeds the connect speed.
Steve.W

> >
> > Just to set the record straight, your actual connect speed doesn't really mean much, downloads achieved after connecting are what count. To see what I mean get yourself a free copy of NET MEDIC then all will become clear
> >
>
> Not entirely true - I'm a retired networking expert!
>
> Yes there are all sorts of factors that affect actual download speed but a modem connection at 26K will limit the overall speed even if all other factors (error rate, compression ratio etc) are favourable.