cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enforce some rules on the forums

N/A

Can the mods please do something about the current annoying habit someone has of starting threads then deleting his posts leaving the thread flapping around like a headless fish?

If nothing can be done on a user basis can the edit/delete post functions be disabled after five minutes (or instead of time based after a reply has been posted).
6 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Trouble is it only seems to be one person who has done this, locking access to the edit / delete buttons after five minutes would prevent people with a genuine use for it using it. I agree something needs to be done though.
Community Veteran

Other forums I use limit the amount of time to get to edit a post and I think the same should be applied here. I would suggest a maximum of 15 minutes editing time.
N/A

Nod, of the forums I use only PN has unlimited edit time - most others range from 5 to 15 or next reply limits.
holdtight
Grafter

seems like a reasonable time limit but as has been pointed out by Daniel its
only one person this really applies to at the mo

maybe it can be left as it is and a mod can have a word with him about his
behaviour on the forums
Community Veteran

This is the only time I am aware of this happening so it's not as if it's a major problem. The person concerned (and it was only one persion) appears to have a problem with people responding to their posts and their only method of response was to delete their posts.

While I see that the actions of one individual has caused a problem in a few threads, I don't see it as a big enough problem to change how the message board works. There have been times when I have noticed mistakes I have made in older posts which I have corrected for the benefit of new readers and not being able to do that may lead to inaccurate information remaining.

We have managed to work under the existing editing rules and I can't see why we can't continue as is.

FYI: The person concerned has since indicated (ironically, in one of the posts which they then deleted!!) that they will not be back to the forums so I suspect this little incident is behind us.
N/A

The mods are aware of this, having already had report about this.

Until all moderators (or the majoity) have had chance to add their own comments on the action to be taken, there is little we can do right now.

Unfortunatly, the phpBB software in use on the forums, does not have the build in ability to either time limit or disable editing of posts on a global or indiviual bases.