cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

End of the month but im still getting 30kb/s on usenet ??

N/A

why ?
14 REPLIES
N/A

Hi,
The usenet 15Gb allowance is done on the calender month. At the first of each month your useage will be reset.
N/A

under "my usage" it has been reset to 0 though ?
N/A

That is your total usage for the billing month, which you use to make sure you don't breach the SUP. The usenet limit is on a calender month and, as darkskye has already said, will be reset on the first of the month. The VMBU is virtually useless for checking your 15gb usenet limit.
N/A

Why dont they make the usage monitor go by calendar month instead of billing month?. This makes tracking how much data you have used very hard. I also fell for this problem scratching my head going "Why am i still getting 30kb/s when ive just had my counter reset?".
Ben_Brown
Grafter

The total usage has to be done by billing date as it is used on PAYG accounts to calculate how much if any addittional usage costs apply.

Although it's not ideal having the usenet usage running from the start of each calander month it is something that we are looking into changing.
N/A

Ok so on the 23rd i left my pc downloading overnight, i downloaded about 7 gb at 30kb/s. That now shows up under "My usage" even though i did not download it as peek speed.

What happens come the 1st of the month if i have downloaded over the 15gb? will i be capped at 30kb/s even though i havnt downloaded anything at full speed?
Thanks
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

No, the usenet monitoring works on calendar month. So come 1st December you'll start a new calendar month with a new 15GB regardless of how much you download in November and at what speeds (obviously SUP applies to the total figure).
N/A

Silly question...

I dont know if anyone has thought about this, but if, as it appears, everyone who uses usenet has exceded their 15Gb limit in the first couple of weeks (which is easy enough to do with mostly just headers) then come the 1st of december isnt Plusnets usenet server going to be absolutely swamped by users trying to get their full speed access again?

does this mean its going to fall down and we'll be back to the state we were when the shaping first started?

p.s I've been lurking around in these forums since I first noticed something was screwy with my connection but this is the first time I've actually felt the need to post...
N/A

Doubt it. I recon more people will start to speard the usage over the month or download less.

I think they are plannin on making it billin month as soon as they figure out how to do it Wink
N/A

Re: Silly question...

<rant mode>
I dont know if anyone has thought about this, but if, as it appears, everyone who uses usenet has exceded their 15Gb limit in the first couple of weeks (which is easy enough to do with mostly just headers)

I've just done a random sample from the newsgroups I'm subscribed to, and the headers per message are around 2 Kbytes big.

Now, to use 15Gb on headers alone that would mean retreiving 7,864,320 headers.

I've previously calculated that to use 15Gb of usenet for the purpose it was intended, you could download the complete full text of the bible 3,622 times with 15Gb.
<rant mode/>
N/A

That may be true for the text groups, however use of the binary groups is a different matter entirely and headers can use up substantial amounts of bandwidth. Fact is it is used extensively as a protocol for download, legitimate or otherwise, media rich content..
N/A

Typical text-only header:
(path line artifically broken up for formatting)

Path: ptn-nntp-reader04.plus.net!
nntp-xref-master.plus.net!
ptn-nntp-spool01.plus.net!
nntp-peering.plus.net!
ptn-nntp-feeder02.plus.net!
nx01.iad01.newshosting.com!
newshosting.com!
216.196.98.140.MISMATCH!
border1.nntp.dca.giganews.com!
nntp.giganews.com!
local01.nntp.dca.giganews.com!
nntp.magma.ca!news.magma.ca.POSTED!
not-for-mail
NNTP-Posting-Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2005 08:07:09 -0600
Sender: Robert Krten <root@amd64.ott.parse.com>
Subject: Re: bktr on amd64fbsd5.3 vs i386fbsd5.3; fxtv too...
Newsgroups: comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
References: <obydnZ2mWvH_gx7eRVn-tg@magma.ca> <dm2p5o$lji$1@news1.xnet.hr>
User-Agent: tin/1.6.2-20030910 ("Pabbay") (UNIX) (FreeBSD/5.3-RELEASE (amd64))
Message-ID: <AdqdnQRJReWQVBjeRVn-vg@magma.ca>
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2005 08:07:09 -0600
Lines: 50
NNTP-Posting-Host: 206.191.28.202
X-Complaints-To: abuse@magma.ca
X-DMCA-Complaints-To: abuse@magma.ca
X-Abuse-and-DMCA-Info: Please be sure to forward a copy of ALL headers
X-Abuse-and-DMCA-Info: Otherwise we will be unable to process your complaint properly
X-Postfilter: 1.3.32
Xref: ptn-nntp-reader04.plus.net comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc:25428

Typical Binary header:
(Path again broken up for formatting)

Path: ptn-nntp-reader04.plus.net!
nntp-xref-master.plus.net!
ptn-nntp-spool02.plus.net
!nntp-peering.plus.net!
ptn-nntp-feeder02.plus.net!
81.171.88.16.MISMATCH!
eweka!hq-usenetpeers.eweka.nl!
68.142.88.75.MISMATCH!
hwmnpeer01.ams!
hw-filter.ams!newsfe10.ams.POSTED!
89088bf5!not-for-mail
Sender: Yenc@power-post.org
Newsgroups: alt.binaries.mp3
Subject: Darude postet böhse onkelz Best of "gestern war heute noch morgen" CD 124/26] - "So sind wir 3-42 min.mp3" yEnc (06/10)
X-Newsposter: YENC-POWER-POST-A&A-v11b (Modified POWER-POST www.CosmicWolf.com)
Lines: 3043
Message-ID: <M6ohf.1280$wH4.671@newsfe10.ams>
X-Complaints-To: abuse@firstload.de
NNTP-Posting-Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2005 12:02:04 MST
Organization: Firstload
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2005 19:02:04 GMT
Xref: ptn-nntp-reader04.plus.net alt.binaries.mp3:7769334

I fail to see any significant difference in the size, and my original point stands.

Anyway, its quite obvious I'm an old crusty who beleives usenet should be plain text ascii and e-mail shouldn't use html, and I like doing random maths.

I'm ending my part in this issue in this thread, if anyone would like to continue it further, please do it by PM.

Cheers,
Andrew D Wiles.
MysteryFCM
Grafter

Anyway, its quite obvious I'm an old crusty who beleives usenet should be plain text ascii and e-mail shouldn't use html, and I like doing random maths.

Guess we're both old crusties then Wink (not sure bout the random math though ... sounds too much like work to me :lolSmiley
N/A

Have you tried multithreading downloads? In case it is just slow (as usual), rather than throttled.