cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Encryption using p2p.

N/A

Encryption using p2p.

Please be as honest as you can with the poll.

I'd like to get an idea of how many users who use p2p apps on a regular basis have actually enabled the encryption feature.

Thanks.
12 REPLIES
N/A

Encryption using p2p.

IF u do start seeing an improvement dont expect it to last 2 long. Plusnet will simply add encrypted traffic to teh clean usage allownace.

I know i've seen an improvement using it
N/A

Encryption using p2p.

Same here, im on Level 1 management, im still seeing speeds of 100+kB/s with encryption on, without it on, i struggle to get to 5kB /s
N/A

Encryption using p2p.

srae88,

The problem that Plusnet will have though is how to add the encrypted traffic to a profile and limit it without it affecting thwe VPN or encrypted traffic on any business packages.
I dont think this is an easy one to get around because Buisness accounts need unshaped VPN access else it all goes to slush ( There was a thread on it at one point ).
N/A

Encryption using p2p.

@tomspcs

They should be able tp differenciate between business and home products quite easily. Remember they have different profiles for different accounts. The Hellaycas must know which profile the user is on. thus if the business profile is selected Secure traffic will be allowed through otehr wise home products get shaped abit
N/A

Encryption using p2p.

Unfortunately people use VPN if they occasionally work from home. Shaping all encrypred traffic and causing VPNs to fall over would cause me to leave (I would get unbearable grief from the missus if she couldn't log on to work). There must be a more intelligent way. Surely the level of simultaneous upload\download would signify a p2p session?
N/A

Encryption using p2p.

Indeed.

Im not sure where it was mentioned and by whom. But there was some talk about if encryption is being used the extent of the limitations applied is limited due to a knock on effect.
Now I think this is more to do with VPN connections and tunneling data via VPN's but I am not completly sure about this.
N/A

Encryption using p2p.

It's currently in the uTorrent betas, so I'll start using it once the next version comes out.
N/A

Encryption using p2p.

I've seen the option, but its not turned on - simply because it doesnt work with all p2p clients (eg. various BT clients)
N/A

Encryption using p2p.

Surely the level of simultaneous upload\download would signify a p2p session?

Yeah maybe this is semi acurate but I also use VNC over SSH sometimes which as it is VNC you can imagine is actually quite heavy both directions, of course on current ADSL lines it is half crippled by lack of bandwidth allready, if it was shaped well then it would basically be goodnight vienna so to use a phrase.
N/A

Encryption using p2p.

I've seen the option, but its not turned on - simply because it doesnt work with all p2p clients (eg. various BT clients)

Personally, I use Azureus 2.4.0.0 (i think) and the option for encryption is there and switched on. BUT....there is also the option to accept from and establish connections to clients without encryption.

Im not advocating everyone turning it on, simply trying to gauge how many people actually have it switched on in anticipation of +net releasing a statement on how p2p is crippling their network again because of encryption techniques.
N/A

Encryption using p2p.

If there going to even try thinkin about shaping encrypted traffic they will have to tread very carefully.

If this takes off on a large scale before Wholesale costs come down theres going to be big trouble around here :roll:
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Encryption using p2p.

Surely the level of simultaneous upload\download would signify a p2p session?

You may be on to something there - but you would have to add a refinement to the test. If its just one set of data to a single IP it's likely to be VPN or SSH. P2P would have many simultaneous sessions to different IPs depending upon how many seeds were in use. Also uploading would probably be to different IP's to the downloading.

Just looking at a traffic log without opening any packets I would think it would be pretty obvious.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)