cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Emule started to run properly at around 12.25AM 28/06/2006

N/A

Emule service started to run properly on my PC at around 12.25AM 28/06/2006. Yay! Cheesy
Has been dead LowID's and continued disconnections and reconnections since sunday afternoon/evening.
Hope it's sorted for good now.

Has this got to do with the PN ecoli traffic management system?
werd.
8 REPLIES
N/A

The connection has now been ruined again as of around 16:38 today.
this sux.
N/A

works fine for me, are you using it via a router. if so you'll need to set up some firewall rules/port forwarding
N/A

thanks for that but i've been using emule with a router for over 2 years now and am aware of which ports need to be forwarded etc. thanks again.
perhaps i have hit my quota this month? what is odd is that i get nothing during "peak time" and i mean not a single byte of data through! but have just manually reconnected to an emule server (12:38AM) and i now have a good connection.

i thought PN were supposed to warn users via email if they were exceeding their limit and then only reduce download speeds not halt them until the "off peak" period !!

this still sux.
unhappy customer still...
N/A

Well, seems like you've exceeded some threshold(s), so what does your VMBU display suggest (I've never been on Premier, so don't know what it looks like these days, to be honest).

As for the times, there was a posting elsewhere about the time it takes for processing all accounts to see which need to have their usage profile changed on the Ellacoya units. Processing starts at 1600 and 0000 and can take up to 45 minutes, which explains why your traffic speed drops (admittedly to zero in your case) well after 1600 and goes up again at some random time after 0000.

I'd just learn to live with peer-to-peer being an "out of peak" facility. Surely in the 15+ hours that it is running it gets you files you want... Is 15/16 hours of 24 really so "bad" ?

I guess your options are few, switching ISP is perhaps "last resort" but that's one of the things the heaviest users seem to opt for... It will do no little harm to PN, of course, as they might be able to replace your usage level with 100 light users, and they'd make a little more profit on that basis.

FWIW, when I was using the Broadband Plus account about a year ago, I was constantly getting disconnected from the Usenet services I used (since PN had a complete "down" on binaries for that account). Speed was very poor overnight and down to a dead crawl in the day. With constant disconnections, even using a program to force downloading of new headers now and then was failing (as the newsreader was coming up with an alert box "Unexpectedly disconnected from server" (or similar) and that meant that it needed manual intervention to restart downloading.

I knew there was spare bandwidth for Broadband Plus users (I once pushed my traffic level up to 75 GB in a month, to 'push the envelope' and see if it would trigger a message from PN, but it didn't)... It took until 2006/01for PN to come out with their "product design" description for that account, and set guidelines for peak-time and off-peak traffic levels... but AFAIK they have still never hinted at actual speeds one should expect for Usenet or FTP or peer-to-peer on BB Plus and in my view it should be described like the old Home Surf (with none of those facilities available, rather than the way they are available, but "not guaranteed" - that "not guaranteed" was from a ticket in response to my complaint about getting constant Usenet disconnections).
N/A

cheers goodvalueisp,

i don't wish to leave PN. they are the only isp that give fairly technical answers to queries that one might have but i just want to know why during "peak time" i get no data through put or output via emule. they must actually block ports at this time and not simply drop packets otherwise i would still connect with a high ID not a LowID which indicates ports being blocked by the ISP. I would just love to know what it is they are actually doing to my connection so i can learn to live with it or avoid it.

werd and good weekend ppl.
aeroalfie
Grafter

You don’t say which account type you are on? - if its BB+ and you want to file share you would be better switching to PAYG as it has highest priority - traffic management, traffic shaping etc have very little to no affect on PAYG accounts.
N/A

very true, sorry. i'm on premium/premier bronze ie £21.99 p/m. still. PN have taken nearly a week not to give me my account usage stats. i would lol if i weren't a paying customer.
Sad
N/A

i noticed freeola limit to 30GB usage in peak time (8am-10pm) on their 8meg service but their do not bring weekends into the equation!!! i wonder if plusnet would have the audacity to that? Outside of that they are allowed 300Gb a month extra.

I notice that the after 10pm is pretty generous too!!

It may be an atrocious service but just passing on the news!