cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Emails missing for a week - will they ever be delivered?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I've been running a controlled test of emails (router set to email its log every hour).

I'm still missing emails which were sent 14th May.

Can we have an assurrance that NO emails are going to be lost?

When will the backlog be cleared?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
18 REPLIES
N/A

Surely the post in the announcement board has already made the assurance.
(Don't give any opportunity to decline to give such an assurance, when you already have it!!)

When is the important question...
Community Veteran

We had an assurrance that no email would be lost two Christmas's back!
RobDickson
Grafter

<rant>Not only has this problem taken weeks to fix, not only did PlusNet initially completely fail to keep us informed, but I've just realised that we've also been seriously misled. Initially we were told that it was due to an increase in the levels of spam, now we're told that it's due to a problem with the virus checker, I wonder what this week's excuse will be!</rant>
Community Veteran

My big concern is that this indicates that the Plusnet email system is running on an absolute knife-edge. That it's taking so long to recover from this backlog indicates to me that there is no spare capacity to cater for peaks whatsoever. If one of the 18 servers was lost for any reason (these things happen!) it's clear that a major queue would build up very rapidly and as we've seen it would then take weeks to clear.
N/A

I don't went to panic people but I sent quite a few test email on the 26th April and only 20% of them have been delivered to date. At the time I was not aware of any server issue and these test emails were sent to prove my multiple settings in Outlook. I just resent 3 of the emails, be going to the Sent folder and using the resend facility, and these were delivered within 1 minute.

My conclusion is that same emails have been lost, and I'm still waiting the email confirmation for the lottery ticket brought on line on Friday. As yet this has not be delivered. Unfortunately I did not win Cry
RobDickson
Grafter

Almost a month to be delivered, that really isn't good.

What e-mail client do you use? I've wondered about there being a "resend" facility, but neither Outlook or Outlook Express have this feature.
Community Veteran

Outlook: Open the sent message, menu Actions, Resend this message...

HTH
N/A

I use Outlook. If you open up a message in the Sent Items folder go to Actions and you will see Resend this message.
Community Veteran

I've been asked by Ian Wild for other people seeing missing emails (i.e. where they know for certain it has been sent but hasn't arrived in their Plusnet mailbox). If anyone is in this position could they either post here, or to the topic in the PUG forums:

http://usergroup.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,2041.0.html
Community Veteran

Can I assume from the lack of response that no-one is aware of any emails that they know have been sent but which haven't arrived yet?

If that's the case I'll report back to Ian W. to that effect.
N/A

Obviously my emails that I sent on the 26th April have gone missing and these were sent from a plus mailbox to another plus mailbox.

Very difficult for other user to respond to this survey as you have to be aware of an email being sent to you. You are in a pub and you mate say to you 'why did you not respond to my email 3 weeks ago'

Normally I get a confirmation when I buy lottery tickets online. Did not receive one this week but I can't guarantee one was sent.
N/A

You may want to take a look at this post ( http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=43204 ), which discusses emails being automatically blocked from arriving at a mailbox without the recipient knowing.

It could be an explanation as to why emails are disappearing, or that's how it looks to the receiver, especially as I noticed one poster mention that an email confirming the purchase of a lottery ticket has not arrived yet and this looks like a remarkably similar scenario to the one mentioned in the post and the link to our previous post which discusses a ticket back at the beginning of April on the same problem.

Perhaps Ian can compare the scenarios to see if it provides a possible explanation, and apologies if I've just added confusion re this post (please don't shoot the messenger).
RobDickson
Grafter

Thanks for the re-sending advice. I'm still getting over the shock of buying a program to access my e-mail, so haven't figured out every feature yet!
N/A

Re: Emails missing for a week - will they ever be delivered?

I've been running a controlled test of emails (router set to email its log every hour).

I'm still missing emails which were sent 14th May.

Can we have an assurrance that NO emails are going to be lost?

When will the backlog be cleared?

See new thread on "lost email" I guess from the error I have emails are being lost. http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=43303