cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Emails going missing!

N/A

Emails going missing!

I have sent several emails out from my Plusnet email account to invalid addresses which I know will bounce email back. I have tested these with other non-Plusnet email accounts in the From: field and I have received bounces back.

However I get no bounces back to my Plusnet email account when I do these tests with my Plusnet email in the From: field. This leaves me to conclude that Plusnet is silently deleting bounce email reports.

Personally I think making sure email is delivered properly should be a very high priority for an ISP. I'm not impressed.
45 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Emails going missing!

I've just tested this out and can confirm that bounces are being lost.

I sent a message to a domain (cieh.org) where I have a mailbox with both my proper name and a duff name. The message immediately appeared in the inbox on my account there but no bounce was received for the duff address.

I then logged in to my Tiscali webmail account and repeated the test.

The bounce message was received immediately.

(Autoturn has also been dicky recently - anyone else wondering if the Great Mail Crash of Christmas 2005 is going to be repeated?)
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
JonathanW
Grafter

Emails going missing!

(Autoturn has also been dicky recently - anyone else wondering if the Great Mail Crash of Christmas 2005 is going to be repeated?)

Surely we can't repeat the Mail Crash of Christmas 2005? As its not Christmas 2005 yet? Cheesy

But the issues from last christmas have been resolved, and we've done a fair bit of work on the mail platform during the year to help prevent that kind of thing happening again.

With regards to the missing bounce emails, I'd suggest raising a ticket to get someone to look at it.
Community Veteran

Emails going missing!

<wrigglemode>2005 was when it was finally sorted</wrigglemode> Shockedops:

I've raised a ticket: 18315404
N/A

Emails going missing!

Raised: 18315611

As I administer mailing lists (one of which has had problems recently), not getting bounce reports back when I should have done is extremely annoying.
csogilvie
Grafter

Emails going missing!

The bouncebacks will probably be getting eaten due to over-enthusiastic anti-spam measures on the mailcore, of which PlusNet are aware of but don't seem willing to alter. It also ignores messages from within there own network, incidently.

2005-12-20 07:53:59 SMTP error from remote mailer after end of data: host mx.core.plus.net [212.159.11.36]: 550 This message looks like Win32.Sober.y
N/A

Emails going missing!

jelv, are you getting anywhere?

I'm getting a load of tedious "it must be your email client" type responses.
Community Veteran

Emails going missing!

2005-12-20 10:16:47
xxxxx xxxxx
Customer Support Centre Assigned : Dear Mr Elvin,
I have checked this and am escalating this to the correct department.

[internal]

As above. Please advise.

Regards,
xxxxx xxxxx

Since then nothing!
N/A

Emails going missing!

I'm not sure which of us has got further! I hope the questions I'm getting asked aren't from the "correct department".
Community Veteran

Emails going missing!

There are implications of this I would like Plusnet to consider:

Sometimes people do not communicate with their friends and family for long periods. When they do feel inclined to do so by email it is possible that the email address they have may no longer be valid. So it is very important that bounces are returned in those circumstances, otherwise they will be unaware that their message has not reached it's intended tartget.

So when is the time of year when many people may be sending emails to people they haven't contacted for some time?

I think this deserves a service status and amber light.

No one has posted a reply saying they are getting bounces which I find strange and possibly significant.
N/A

Emails going missing!

jelv, I 100% agree.

If you don't get a bounce you can be fairly sure that the email arrived at it's destination. By removing a fundamental pin of email auditing people are getting false impressions that their email is being received. So, far from their emails being ignored, they are bouncing, and the original emailer has no idea of this!

Bad, bad.
Ben_Brown
Grafter

Emails going missing!

I'm looking into this now.
N/A

Emails going missing!

8 hours and no reply on my ticket. Update please.
Ben_Brown
Grafter

Emails going missing!

I have been discussing this with our network team and they are now looking into this.
N/A

Emails going missing!

Amber status for email then, please.