cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Emails from PN to non-PN addresses

N/A

In an attepmt to return myself to the good old days of no Spam (pre May 2007) I have - amongst other things - ceased collecting messages automatically via Outlook Express sent to my old email addresses which I had before joining PN. Since these addresses were in my address book on the old Webmail they awere presumably harvested by the Russian hackers and are now receiving their full quota of Spam. Instead I am manually synchronising to them once a day just in case some old contacts or subscriptions are still using them for legitimate emails. Then eventually I will just cancel them with my old dial-up "free" ISP.

As part of this tedious exercise brought about by PN, I have marked some relevant threads on the PN discussion boards to watch. I wondered why when new posts were being made on the threads, I was not receiving any email notifications.

You know what's coming don't you?

Yes, I did my first manual synchronise today and there, among the Spam, were two emails from PN telling me thet posts had been made. The "TO" box said "Undisclosed recipients" which is fair enough so I had to re-check the header to see that PN is contacting me via a 3-year old, non-PN email address which I must have used when I first signed up to PN.

Can PN please assist me in my de-spamming exercise and update their contact address for me to my newly-created default mailbox? I would have thought the Postmaster address would be appropriate on which I have put a redirect. I have already changed my address for receiving communications from PN (done yesterday). Or is there yet another place on the PN site where I have to self-serve?

Regards
GCJ
21 REPLIES
Aterlatus
Grafter

Bear in mind that the "notify me when someone relies to my thread" feature is a bit buggy at the mo, and they've told us they're looking into it.

I think it's one of the forum moderators/admin has to update your email on here rather than plusnet themselves. God, all these chiefs doesn't half make things confusing ;p
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 5

You'd need to PM one of the mod's asking them to change your email address to whatever you want it to be.

The 1st time you access these forums you are registered with the forums and your email address is copied over from PlusNet, so the address you get any notifications on is the one held by PlusNet for you at the time you 1st visited here.

Phil
Mand
Grafter

Hi there,

If you PM one of the portal mods they will update your address for here, and you should start receiving notifications again.

We are seeing some reports of customers not getting these emails, which we are looking into at the moment.
N/A

Jeeeezz I have to admire the apparently straight faces with which you reply.

Bear in mind that the "notify me when someone relies to my thread" feature is a bit buggy at the mo, and they've told us they're looking into it.

I don't know if it matters but I wasn't following one of my OWN threads but several others re how to reduce SPAM. The messages came through OK - just to an old xxxxx@zoom.co.uk address that I could have got rid of years ago. WHYHuh "A bit buggy"Huh "Looking into it"Huh How long have thes forums been going? How long do they need?

The 1st time you access these forums you are registered with the forums and your email address is copied over from PlusNet, so the address you get any notifications on is the one held by PlusNet for you at the time you 1st visited here.

And I presume that the first time I accessed these forums was when I had already joined PN and therefore had a PN email address? Up to yesterday I only ever had one PN address and that was <Forename>@username.plus.com as allocated at the time of joining. I have just looked at my emails from PN that I have kept in my Outlook folder. All 56 are addressed either to the "Postmaster" address or my original (forename) address. So why are forums different??

If you PM one of the portal mods they will update your address for here, and you should start receiving notifications again.

I am receiving them thanks - to a non-PN address. Aren't you ashamed to be sending out notications to non-PN addresses? And where does it explain all this about having "PM a portal mod"? What language is that (Martian?) to a non-techie? Like me. How do I "PM a portal mod".
The trouble with PN is that you are all too close to the techie product and not close enough to your non-techie customers. I refuse to "PM" anybody. You should ensure that all notifications are sent to the valid PN address given in my contact/account details. And not the catchall eithet cos I've swithed it off!

Regards
GCJ
sophos9
Grafter

I am receiving them thanks - to a non-PN address. Aren't you ashamed to be sending out notications to non-PN addresses? And where does it explain all this about having "PM a portal mod"? What language is that (Martian?) to a non-techie? Like me. How do I "PM a portal mod".
The trouble with PN is that you are all too close to the techie product and not close enough to your non-techie customers. I refuse to "PM" anybody. You should ensure that all notifications are sent to the valid PN address given in my contact/account details. And not the catchall eithet cos I've swithed it off!

Regards
GCJ

Are you not ashamed to be that rude to a member of staff trying to help you?

A PM is a private message to be sent to a forum moderator. Why should PN ensure all notifications are sent to a PN address, its up to customer where they want electronic communications sent - my guess at sometime you set this up

As a customer you have responsibilities too, if you dont understand something - find out, if you think PN have problems - offer some constructive feedback, the amount of times I hear 'the trouble is', what language is that? What this really means is 'I dont really know what the problem is'

You know, if I was support staff, I would not offer any support to rude customers full stop
Laugh
Grafter

Is there a full moon tonight?

Have all the police gone to Brighton?

Everyone's very tetchy :?
waldron
Grafter

Back in April, this happened to me. I PM'd one of the mods and found that my notifications were being sent to an old non-PN email address at a domain which had expired.

The mod amended it to an address which is now an alias of my main mailbox.

I have noticed in the past few days that I am no longer receiving any notifications. Having just checked the forums I should have received at least 3 in the past 24 hours.
sophos9
Grafter

Is there a full moon tonight?

Have all the police gone to Brighton?

Everyone's very tetchy :?

Tetchy aint the word, I've been testing Oracle finance platforms offshore for what feels like a lifetime, one of the teams have just found an issue in the UAT trial, once resolved, more the project moves on, what a life ha ha
waldron
Grafter

Back to the original topic. I have today requested notification for a couple more threads, and have started receiving notifications now for them - but not for the ones I had previously marked.
I see that the 'To' field now shows as "Undisclosed recipients" where previously they had been sent to my actual email address. Is this where something has gone wrong?
sophos9
Grafter

Back to the original topic. I have today requested notification for a couple more threads, and have started receiving notifications now for them - but not for the ones I had previously marked.

You could try to 'stop watching' the topics then subscribe again, phpbb may have got confused...
N/A

In standard phpbb (that is the type of forum this is) you can edit the email address used for notifications on the Profile page - I'm guessing, back in the day, the admin decided to remove that option. Any chance it could be enabled (again)?

How do I "PM a portal mod".
This means send a 'private message' to one of the forum moderators. If you click on this LINK then that will open a new private message addressed to one of the moderators (chillypenguin) Smiley Obviously you will need to type in your request (to update the email on record or whatever it happens to be) in your message Wink

HTH
N/A

Are you not ashamed to be that rude to a member of staff trying to help you?

Sophos, that wasn't rude. You'll know when I do rude. And they weren't all staff.

Why should PN ensure all notifications are sent to a PN address, its up to customer where they want electronic communications sent - my guess at sometime you set this up

Why? Because it is logical so to do surely? Correct me if I'm wrong but the last time I checked it was impossible to access the forums without being a subscribing paying customer of PN. So why would I use an "old" email address from my previous ISP when I had just got a brand new shiny one allocated to me by PN like <forename>@<username>.plus.com? If I remember correctly the address to which forum notifications are sent is the address I had to provide when first joining PN ie my last active email address. So all I am saying is why is the forum notification "dept" the only one within PN to still use a non-PN address? All other depts seem to know my "proper" address. So what's so special here?

As a customer you have responsibilities too, if you dont understand something - find out, if you think PN have problems - offer some constructive feedback, the amount of times I hear 'the trouble is', what language is that? What this really means is 'I dont really know what the problem is'

Yes, my responsibility is to pay every month. Everything else should be down to PN. I do know what the problem is: PN always want the customer to self-serve rather than do something for the customer who is surely entitled to expect to be served? I would have thought a moderator or administrator or staffer might just have picked up on this "oddity" in the system and suggested a global correction for all customers.

You know, if I was support staff, I would not offer any support to rude customers full stop

Fortunately you're not though and support staff are paid to support all paying customers. Goodness knows they have been getting worse criticism than this ever since I have been a PN customer.

Regards
GCJ
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

The email address used by the forum software is copied across from the contact address shown on your account once when you first access the forums.

Your first post on these forums was 22 Oct 2005 (you may have visited before then but not posted of course). It will have used the email address on your account when you first visited.

Subsequent changes to your contact email are not copied across to the forums. If you want this changed you need to PM one of the moderators.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
N/A

elvin

I'm sure you are absolutely right. But...

WHYHuh??

Even Mark Kelly knows my correct PN email address(es) since he has duplicated his introductory message to me and he has only just joined as an employee.

The thing is, since this old email address is now being Spammed to death I am going to "kill" it in a couple of weeks. Maybe I should mark all threads to watch, close the address and just let all the messages get bounced back to PN as undeliverable. Would PN do something then?

Regards
GCJ