Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email to customers on 20:1 2Mbps Residential Accounts

Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi All,

The following email will be going out to those customers provisioned on 20:1 2Mbps Home Premier, Plus and PAYG accounts this evening.

subjectline: Important: Broadband account changes

Dear {real_name},

Changes to your broadband account
---------------------------------

You may remember that we contacted you in February regarding your PlusNet 2Mb broadband account.

Your broadband service is currently based on a BT contention ratio of 20:1. This is because a 50:1 version of the 2Mb product did not exist when you signed up.

We have always stated that customers provisioned on 20:1 2Mb broadband would eventually be moved to a regular 50:1 product.

You now have the option to remain on a 20:1 contention.

What are the benefits of staying on 20:1?
-----------------------------------------

- Enhanced performance - very little speed loss at peak times
- Increased upload speeds of up to 800k with the arrival of 4Mb & 8Mb broadband

What do I need to do?
---------------------

If you would like to continue enjoying the benefits of 20:1 you must tell us within 14 days by raising a ticket in the Contact Us wizard:

- Go to http://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=tickets
- Click 'New Query'
- Click 'Account Changes - Upgrade, Downgrade, Cancellations & Moving House'
- Click '20:1 to 50:1 migrations'
- Raise a ticket. DO NOT raise a ticket if you are happy to be moved to a 50:1 contention

Remaining on 20:1 will cost £10 (inc. VAT) extra on your monthly broadband subscription.

If you are happy to be moved to a standard contention of 50:1, simply do nothing and we will automatically begin moving you in 14 days.

Please note, if you don't instruct us to keep you on a 20:1 contention, you will be automatically moved to 50:1.

What will happen to my service if I don't stay on 20:1?
-------------------------------------------------------

There will be little difference to your current broadband service most of the time. You will continue to enjoy the same speed and features at the same great price. Only the BT contention at your local telephone exchange will change, which may mean a reduction in speed at peak times.

What is contention?
-------------------

If you want to know more about contention, take a look at our beginner's guide - http://www.plus.net/support/features/contention_guide.shtml

Kind regards,

Customer Support

PlusNet - The smarter way to broadband

http://www.plus.net

{user_name}
65 REPLIES
N/A

looks like i will be terminating both my accounts then

i was on the original 39.99 package - unlimited (but plusnet never advertised it)

and when rang to cancel both accounts was told i could have the same package for 21.99 per mth if i didnt abuse the downloads

however it seems plusnet are out to piss their customers off and i feel they have achieved that now

i was offered 20:1 for 3 quid a mth about 5 mths ago - now £10.00 per mth are they smoking glue? not even the Bank of England have that sort of inflation
N/A

Out to shaft their existing customers? plus ca change . . .

Maybe if I cancelled my 20:1 B'band Premier a/c and then signed up again, I'd get a 30:1 connection, as stated all over the pulic area of the P/N site, rather than be downgraded to 50:1 (serves me right for being a loyal customer!!).
But then if I cancel my existing a/c - it would make sense to look around at other suppliers to make sure I get the best value . . .hmmmmm
csogilvie
Grafter

If you do nothing, you'll end up on the 50:1 contention ratio that everyone else is on, anyway.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Hi,

If you do nothing you'd be provisioned on 50:1 on BT's side of the network but the PlusNet contention would still be 30:1 as it is for new customers and customers signed up after we stopped provisioning customers on 2Mbps 20:1.
N/A

That was point!

...so why does the PlusNet web site clearly state that B'band Premier accounts are based on 30:1 contentionHuhHuhHuhHuh?

Is that only for new subscribers?

If so, I restate my point from above, that existing customers are being shafted
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Broadband Premier accounts are 30:1 accounts, for existing customers and for new customers. They are all provisioned on IPStream Home on BT's side which is a 50:1 contention product but the effects of 50:1 contention won't be seen otherwise you'd see speeds around 40kbps.
N/A

So are you saying that the 30:1 ratios are actually 50:1 ratios on BT's side and then are on 30:1 ratios using PlusNets resources?

If so, theoretically if I was the only Plusnet user on my exchange with 49 Others with different ISP's , I am really on 50:1 not 30:1?

I thought that PlusNet had negotiated a 30:1 contention ratio with BT - so the advertising blurb on PlusNet site is slightly misleading?
N/A

Not really.

the 30:1 contention was explained as being on the Plus net network.

Whilst wholly dependant on BT not running at the 50:1 rate, the scenario you mention should not come into play.

BT, in the main maintain contention well below 50:1 so Plus Nets figure comes into its own at that point.
N/A

Hmmm - MISLEADING . . . now there's a word . . .

CONFUSING . . . that's another one.

Let's assume I am an average Joe - doen't understand I.T., just want a good value-for-money Internet connection . . .
PlusNet are advertising their service as "30:1" - so that's got to be a better deal than XYZ company selling their equal speed, equal cost service at "50:1", yes?
I mean, the advertising standards people wouldn't allow confusing claims in an attempt to fool potential customers, would they?
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

The 50:1 ratio on BT's side of the network is something that you unlikely to ever experience. The reason being is that if you did your broadband connection would be slower than 56k. Real 50:1 contention is not something you want to see and not something you want to experience.

The best way of understanding BT side contention is as you say you share your connection with up to 49 other people.

The 30:1 contention on our network is on other hand a very different description. The 30:1 here is describing the ratio of the maximum throughput required for everyone to max their connections at the same time against the available bandwidth.

For some simple maths to illustrate this, if we had 15,000 2Mbps Premier customers, the maximum capacity needed to service them all as if they all had a 1:1 connection would be 30Gbps. If we actually had 1Gbps of capacity you see the 30:1 ratio - 30Gbps / 1Gbps.
N/A

I mean, the advertising standards people wouldn't allow confusing claims in an attempt to fool potential customers, would they?

Ask them
N/A

The fact that Plus net state

Based on a 30:1 PlusNet network contention

Would take the ASA scrutiny out of the picture.

Misleading it is not (imho) confusing to some maybe.

Contention has proved to be a confusing issue in the past and I am sure it will continue to do so.

In fairness I have never really seen much difference in the 20:1 and 50:1 contended products. But maybe I have just been lucky.
N/A

I am not surprised at this email, but a little peeved on the price change...

the last email I had about this stated clearly that staying on the 20:1 would cost £5 per month, NOW ITS £10.... no way dude... ripoff city lol
N/A

and getting back to point . . .

Are we arguing semantics here, inconsistancy of description?

My exising 20:1 Premier 2Mb connection will be reduced to 30:1 or 50:1?