cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email to abuse autoreply to HTML messages

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Yesterday I went to raise a report about a user who has a virus and has 5000+ entries in my log files. I was going to use contact us until I found I couldn't attach the log file (I see that's already acknowledged in the ideas forum) - so I sent an email to abuse instead, attaching the log file. The email was in HTML format, the log file was attached as a .txt file.

When I received the autoreply acknowledging receipt of the abuse report, I was somewhat surprised that it was over 500K!

What had happened was that where it had quoted the original message at the end of the email, it had quoted the entire log file, not the original html message.

I can see that for an autoresponder, sorting this out would be difficult. I wonder if a sensible way around the problem may be to append just the first 10-20K of the original message.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
14 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Where ever possible I always send email in plain text - maybe this is something you should consider - as HTML does have strange effects on autoresponders and not all email clients can read HTML.

Also how large was the logfile you attached. It sounds like it was very large in which case this is a major problem with the abuse team as it may take them several days just to get through it.

When sending logs, please only send enough info to verify your report and not all 5000 entries. Also if there are multiple IP addreses involved, abuse prefer a single email for each IP with the corresponding small number of log file entries to back it up.
Community Veteran

Where ever possible I always send email in plain text - maybe this is something you should consider - as HTML does have strange effects on autoresponders and not all email clients can read HTML.
I will next time (if I remember) - my default is html.
Also how large was the logfile you attached. It sounds like it was very large in which case this is a major problem with the abuse team as it may take them several days just to get through it.
When sending logs, please only send enough info to verify your report and not all 5000 entries. Also if there are multiple IP addreses involved, abuse prefer a single email for each IP with the corresponding small number of log file entries to back it up.
It was over 500K. It was an extract of my log files for 10 days with all the entries for the same IP so it will take no "going through" at all.
Community Veteran

You should still not send log files so large as it is counter-productive and causes delays within the abuse department because they will have to scan through it before acting on your report.

20 or 30 lines is more than adequate with a corresponding explaination of what you have noticed over a longer period. You can also say if further log evidence is requred you can send it.

Abuse get 100s of reports every day so any help you can give them to speed up their jobs helps you and everyone else effected by your scanner.
Community Veteran

I don't get your point. My email specified the IP, it specified the username, it stated that the attached log contained only entries for that IP.

The only reason they would have to look at it would be the first few lines to see when it started, and the pattern of ports and the last few lines to see that it was continuing up to the time of my message. They have all the evidence - no need to email me to ask for the log - I couldn't make it easier. If they want just a part of the log they can cut what they want out and ditch the rest.
csogilvie
Grafter

Personally, I wouldn't have sent the whole log either - I must admit. Just evidence of when it started, when it ended and a bit in between. BTW, it IS possible to attach things to tickets - you just need to wait about 5 minutes after opening the ticket.
Community Veteran

If you send a 500K logfile they may not look at it immediately because it may take them time to look through it - or they think they need to look through it, regardless of your comments - not everyone actually understands logs files so they have to be certain what you are talking about matches what the logs say.

What I am saying is you have to make their job as easy as possible. To do that you supply minimal info as far as the logs are concerned to back up your claim. It is certainly not necessary to send 500K's worth of log file.
Community Veteran

I think I'll wait to see if I get any response from abuse or any one else at Plusnet on this now.
csogilvie
Grafter

You'll need to wait until (at least) Monday for a response from Abuse (if you actually get one - due to the volume of complaints you might not) as I don't think they work weekends.
jberry
Grafter

Hi there,

The abuse team do only work from Monday to Friday and it will be a few days before this is picked up as there is always a backlog created over the weekend. In terms of the report, although we technically would not require the entire log it does not matter that mush so long a one specific person has been stated in the e-mail - if this is the case then a quick scan of the logs will confirm this.

Regards,
Community Veteran

Thanks Josh
Community Veteran

Can we get back to my original point now.: At present if an html message with a txt file attached is sent to abuse the auto responder sends back the whole file. Can this be fixed or at least the file truncated to a sensible size?
jberry
Grafter

Hi there,

I will raise this to the networks team for you and see if we can fix this. Just for additional information, what mail client were you using?

Regards,
Community Veteran

Just for additional information, what mail client were you using?

Outlook 2000 (not OE)
jberry
Grafter

Cheers, I have raised a problem internally to see if this can be resolved.