cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email server problem

N/A

Email server problem

Is anyone else having problems sending mail, when I try and send an email I get asked for a password for the relay.plus.net server. This has never happened before and even if I put in my plusnet password it doesn't work. Any ideas?
2 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Email server problem

> Is anyone else having problems sending mail, when I try and send an email I get asked for a password for the relay.plus.net server. This has never happened before and even if I put in my plusnet password it doesn't work. Any ideas?

Bob,

We have implemented SMTP auth but it should not bear any relavence with your account.

If you know how to go in to your mail properties you can resolve this by going to the servers tab and placing a tick in the *My mail server requires authentication* box.

If you are still unsure please give us a call on 0845 1400101.

Best Regards,

Dave.

--
| David Watson. Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Technical Support. for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd. @ http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet ----- +

N/A

RE: Email server problem

Hi there,

Unfortunately my colleague who replied to your post earlier made a minor error in his response which is certainly just an oversight on his part.

If you do have a tick in the box "my outgoing / SMTP mail server requires authentication" or its equivalent, you should remove it.

If you are using early versions of Netscape (eg 4.x) then you may be suffering from a bug in that software which means it will always attempt to send a username and password to the SMTP server if it detects that it supports SMTP auth - which ours now does.

The workaround if you are using such a version of netscape is to change your SMTP server name to "relay1.plus.net" which does not support SMTP auth and hence does not fall foul of the bug. In the longer term however you should consider upgrading to a newer version.

Best Wishes,

Matt.

--
| Matt Saunders...................Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Technical Support..........................for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd..............@ http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet --------+