cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email question

thehatman
Grafter

Email question

If a customer leaves Plusnet can they still use their @username.plus.com email addresses? And still fetch it using POP3?

And can they keep their pay as you go dial-up as a backup?
12 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Email question

Yes, this is what they do normally as default. If its not used for 90 days it is cancelled though, although Im not 100% sure if it is 90 days.

Chris
N/A

Email question

Hi Hatboy

Yes, that is standard practise with PlusNet, they automatically switch you onto a PAYG Dialup account when you migrate, so that you can still make use of your emails (however, the way I understand it, you can only use the SMTP server when connected using a PlusNet connection).
thehatman
Grafter

Email question

"you can only use the SMTP server when connected using a PlusNet connection"

Can others confirm this. Not connectable through SMTP with another broadband supplier?

Also, 90 days? Do you lose your PlusNet mail or dialup after 90 days?
N/A

Email question

I can't comment on the pop3 and dialup im afraid, But I have just checked and the SMTP server will only work if you are connected via plusnet.

You can't connect with another ISP and send emails via the SMTP (but your new ISP will have an SMTP you can use anyway)
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Email question

Hi,

You can't use our SMTP server unless you are connected to our network, although you can use webmail, or another ISP may let you use their SMTP server.

If a PAYG account isn't used for 90 days then the email and webspace are destroyed, you can still use the 0845 number though.
thehatman
Grafter

Email question

I think I just want to know:

1) Is it technically possible and straighforward to access my @username.plus.com email (send and receive) using another isp's inbound and outbound POP3 and SMPT relay addreses?

And if that is possible - do plusnet allow it indefintely or for how long?

Or am I being too complicatied and I should access my plusnet emails by the backup dial up that I'll be left with if I leave and go through the inconvenience of changing my emails to new addresses at a new isp?
JonathanW
Grafter

Email question

Hi,

You'll be able to send email through your PlusNet email account using any smtp server. Howerver, in order to access emails sent to you, you will have to continue using the PlusNet pop3 server. This can be done from most ISPs, providing they don't prevent you from accessing external servers on port 110.
thehatman
Grafter

Email question

Thanks. And when I am not paying you anything how long do you let people use your email addreses for nothing?
thehatman
Grafter

Email question

Is it that I must call up on 0845 at least once every 90 days to maintain the service?

Is that it.
LiamM
Grafter

Email question

You don't even have to do that. Simply checking your email once during this period will suffice.
thehatman
Grafter

Email question

Well that seems like a good thing on Plusnet's part.

I don't fully get it though. If I am not going to continue to be a paying Plusnet user (migrating broadband to new isp) how come they don't cut off my email and what guarantee do I have that it won't just be cut off one day?
N/A

Email question

how come they don't cut off my email and what guarantee do I have that it won't just be cut off one day?

I would strongly recommend you spend a little amount on a domain name and 'park' it with email forwarding. Then use this address. Then you are no longer tied to a particular provider (but you do then jump into the world of domain hosts) and set the forwarding to any final address. Some will even send selected addresses to alternative target addresses.

If you look on MoneySavingExpert.com forums, there was a provider allowing you to register ".be" domains for free. Or it is only about £10 per year or two for a ".co.uk" address through many providers.

It is worth the effort.

regards

Stuart