cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email problems

N/A

Email problems

I have just had my ADSL line activated, as of last night. Prior to this I was with V21 and had received emails to my plus.com account. But today I've not been able to send any emails using my plus.com account. I've also sent an email to myself using the plus.com email address given to me when I signed up for ADSL and it's not receiving those either. Has anyone else had a problem to day with sending or receiving emails with plus.com. This is the error message I get when trying to send emails using this account.
"Outgoing server "relay.plus.net" cannot be found. Please verify that you are connected to the Internet and that the Server address is correct and try again. I have checked my email settings and they appear to be correct. Is the problem happening at their end I wonder.
21 REPLIES
N/A

Email problems

Hi Gillian,

You need to have your smtp settings in your email client set to relay.plus.net.

You are apparently still using the settings of your previous isp.

Further help can be found here

https://portal.plus.net/supportpages.html?CXIyFem67zA%3D

Best regards

Mark
N/A

Email problems

It sounds as though you have the outgoing SMTP server set to relay.plus.net already, so I wonder how your system is set up and working since it has only just been connected.
1. What OS are you using?
2. Presumably you can access the internet with a browser?
3. What settings have you got in Control Panel - Internet Options - Connections? Is it: 'never dial a connection'?
4. At the command prompt, what does nslookup relay.plus.net return?
N/A

Email problems

If you are using Outlook express, the config files can get corrupted. Delete the settings and start again.
lhorwath
Grafter

Email problems

Hi there,

This error is usually generated when using our mail settings but not connected with us. I can see that you have made connections to us, but when you send/receive are you definately online? Have you also tried disabling any firewall/anti-virus you have running as this can sometimes block the outgoing mail port.

Let us know how you get on.

regards

Luke
N/A

Outlook Express frustrations

Am fed up with Plusnet/Outlook Express. Can anybody confirm that they are compatible (ie WORK!) Since getting broadband ten days ago I have had numerous probs sending.

What alternatives are there?

Thanks

Guy
csogilvie
Grafter

Email problems

http://www.mozilla.org/products/thunderbird/ is what I use. However, I can't see why there would be any issue between PlusNet and Outlook Express.
N/A

Email problems

I use OE with +net without any problems. I used this page to set up my default plusnet e-mail address and this page to set up mail box addresses I have added.
pcorker
Grafter

Email problems

No problems but I did do a bit of head-scratching over AVG's anti-virus email proxy server thing. The answer was to be online and leave it to the program. :roll:
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Email problems

Hi Guy,

If you want to post the error messages you get when you try and send mail, we should be able to identify the cause.
N/A

Intermitent Problems

Just to update you all and thanks for your suggestions. It suddenly started working and I was able to receive and send messages using incredimail and my plus.net email address. But.... a day or two later when I switched on the computer again I got the same error message, I find I have to keep uninstalling the incredimail program then reinstall it in order to connect to my email account for plus.net. So far not had a problem when using OE, but OE is so boring and don't really want to have to use OE if I can help it. I have about 5 email accounts and it recognizes them all without any problems apart from my plus net account. I've just had to uninstall and reinstall again this morning in order to receive and send email using my plusnet account. Will look at your suggestions in more detail and try them out. I will update you on how I get on but it may be in a day or two as I don't get much time to come on the computer due to work getting in the way Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
N/A

Email problems

OE is indeed boring.
Pegasus, which I use, you would probably find even more boring - very plain looking.
Incredimail *looks* like fun, but unless recent versions have been drastically improved compared to the one that was around about a year and a half ago, the next time you uninstall it, I'd leave it that way. I have never had so much trouble with one programme in my life as I did with that bug-ridden thing - BSODs, PC freezing up, mouse suddenly going on strike, whole mail folders mysteriously disappearing, etc., etc.
About half a dozen friends who tried it found the same problem, so it's not just something on my PC that it didn't like - I don't know what others on here think, but I wouldn't recommend Incredimail to my worst enemy.
N/A

Email problems

Thanks...

Error number: 0x800ccc0d

The server could not be found. Have installed Outlook 2000 and checked all boxes regarding outgoing/incoming servers. I suspect it is connected with having set up mailboxes.

Thanks alot

Guy
Community Veteran

Re: Outlook Express frustrations

Am fed up with Plusnet/Outlook Express. Can anybody confirm that they are compatible (ie WORK!) Since getting broadband ten days ago I have had numerous probs sending.

What alternatives are there?

Thanks

Guy

I have been using Outlook Express for many years on PlusNet, both with Dialup and ADSL.
I can assure you that I have no problems at all and the two are compatable.
Community Veteran

Email problems

I too can also confirm OE and outlook and various other email clients work perfectly with PlusNet.

I have also found in the past that the problems have not always been OE but other tools like firewalls and virus scanners which have been misconfigured. In some cases disabling them does not actually remove their effect on email sending/receiving and a full uninstall of the products was necessary to finally proved it was them at fault.