cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email problems?

N/A

Email problems?

I've had no emails since yesterday, normally I get over 100 a day.
Is there a problem?
Nothing on the status pages....

[Moderators note (by Thomas): This post has been moved, as it has nothing whatsoever to do with ADSL. Please use the correct board for your threads in future.]
27 REPLIES
N/A

Email problems?

Do you see any errors in your mail client [i.e. failled to connect].

The mailservers are currently having a few problems - a few other customers are experiencing the same problems.

And now, there's a service announcement.
N/A

Email problems?

Seems to be affecting Web Mail too. I've sent emails from my work account and they've not arrived after 40 mins. Mail sent from +net account arrived in work after 95 seconds. I assume it is only inbound email that is currently affected.
N/A

Email problems?

Webmail died on me in the middle of my session a few hours ago and now I cant get into it.
N/A

Email problems?

I assume it is only inbound email that is currently affected.

I think only the pop3 [incoming] servers are affected, the smtp servers [outgoing] seem to be ok.
N/A

Email problems?

No, it's not just pop3.
N/A

Email problems?

Oh ok, yesterday when the pop3 was being slow, smtp was fine.

But not now - my mistake.

Edit: Actually, my SMTP is fine. I just sent an email to 3 friends on different mail servers [hotmail, ntl, pipex] and they all received them within a minute.
N/A

Email problems?

OK.

I can see two issues with the E-mail at this time.

• Collecting e-mail is slow.

The authentication stage takes a very long time on the first attempt. After which, it can be random as to when it will next take a long time.

This sugest authentication data caching is storing the passwords (or hashes) to speed things up, but actualy obtaining the authentication data from the remote system (if they are remote, I would suspect they are) is taking a pretty long time.

• Delays in internal routing

The fact you are not seeing any mail in your inbox, sugests that it is stuck in a queue somewhere.

Where is queue is, depends on what mail has been sent.

From external ISPs (not +Net or associated vIPSs (force9 to name one)), this may be queued wait to actualy get into the +Net network, and as such, is not yet under the control of +Net. It can also be stuck at the next point.

Inter-account mail (or external mail, now inside the +Net network) may be queued as some point, awaiting processing to the appropriate mailbox, or to step to the next stage of the mailqueue.

These are two seperate issues (however, may be caused by the same underlying issue).

The POP3 server does not have any involvment in routing mail between queue servers. This simply reads your mailbox, and processes the commands requsted.

Internal SMTP servers and MDs are designed to steer the mail around the network, and finaly into a single mailbox, after which, the MDs and SMTP server have no further interaction.
N/A

Email problems?

You know far too much Smiley
N/A

Email problems?

LOL, it's my job to.

My job description is a mouthfull and looks like a pile of lies. It's very heard to write in english, because there are so many damned commas.

Anyhow, I must now get back to a week in work off. In otherwords, I am the only bugger in all week, and I aint allowed out of the office Tongue
N/A

Email problems?

Ohh, right you do this sorta thing for work. I thought you just knew so much because you were a moderator here Smiley
N/A

Email problems?

Hmm, from my understanding, I became a moderator, because I had a big mouth.

I am a rare breed. A BOFH that is willing to help. That pains the heart a little.
N/A

Email problems?

You know what..I'm not even sure if BOFH is an acronym or an adjective..
N/A

Email problems?

Both.

Ba***rd Operator From Hell

Read all about his antics over at The Register
N/A

Email problems?

Ahh right, that explains it Smiley

I mean er..back on topic (just for Thomas Smiley) email..yes..it er..doesn't work...yes..hmm..