cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email problems

N/A

Email problems

I'm aware that there's been a Status page announcement today about an email issue, but I just wanted to confirm that the "slow" POP3 service that it mentions also includes stopped altogether? Although I'm able to connect to the POP3 server OK (albeit slow at times), I've received no emails now for more than 2 hours, but I know that they're being sent.....
10 REPLIES
Ben_Brown
Grafter

Email problems

It shouldn't stop altogether. Can you log in using telnet?
N/A

Email problems

I'm not used to using telnet, but if you're saying that "telnet mail.plus.net" should connect and give me a login prompt which I can then use my username and password to login to, then it doesn't. It just times out without even giving me a login prompt.
Ben_Brown
Grafter

Email problems

You need to do "telnet mail.plus.net 110"
N/A

Email problems

OK, I eventually get a response saying "+OK Hello There", but there's no login prompt for me to login to though. It does appear to be waiting for me to do something. Is there a login command rather than a prompt?
N/A

Email problems

All the emails have just come through, so some ExLax must have been applied to the system somewhere! Cheesy
N/A

Email problems

For future ref. you don't actually need to log in to the server as such, the authentication bit is handled by the fact that you can't relay mails through PN's server unless you are on a PN IP address.

Not PN being awkward or anything, all just pretty standard stuff. If they didn't do this it would be considered an "open relay" which is just begging to be used by spammers.

The prompt that you get back when you telnet in is then expecting you to type raw smtp mail commands to it (things like "RCPT TO" etc), eventually culminating in you entering the mail itself and it then sends it and waits for you to send another. Essentially, you'd be doing exactly what something like Outlook would do, but manually. You wouldn't normally even need to know all of this unless you're developing an application that communicates with email at a raw socket level, but it's a good way to be able to bypas your mailer and confirm you can get to the server.

Hence i guess the request for you to try it.

Just though i'd explain Smiley
N/A

Email problems

Thanks griddler. Hopefully it's not something that I'll need to remember! :lol:
csogilvie
Grafter

Email problems

guddler, I'm fairly sure this was discussing POP3, where you DO need to login, not SMTP where you don't need to login...
N/A

Email problems

DOH!

Yes, sorry - you're quite right it was...

Shockedops:
grahamv
Grafter

Email problems

Still some sort of problem showing up with the mail from here.

Getting fairly persistent time-out or password errors when my mail package signs on (every 15 minutes) to download from PN.

All the mail gets picked up eventually, but the failed attempts are no more than an hour apart.