cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email not reaching NTL accounts

N/A

For the last week, mail being sent to anyone at NTL is being greeted with 24, 48, 72 hour delay messages before being bounced back as undeliverable. it is not just me with the problem, there is a thread about it on the newsgroup but that is Tesco (I believe they use the NTL infrastructure).

I have raised a ticket requesting information on why this is happening and what is being done to rectify the problem but no useful response is forthcoming. Service status is also at green, even though this problem has been acknowledged as existing by CS.

It has to be something to do with F9/ +Net because I can send to a friend's domain email address which goes via another email server before being re- directed successfully to his NTL address.

This is affecting a lot of my contacts and a resolution sometime soon would begood, or even an explanation of what the problem is and what is being done to rectify it.

Regards

Mark
8 REPLIES
N/A

this is usually common with NTL

A lot of my wife's family and friends are on NTL, and I've got a few friends on NTL as well and they are always reporting that their mail service is total cr4p.

regards
mike
N/A

Hello,

I dont know anything about how NTL run their network or mail service but I do know that F9 use BT's network & data travels over exsisting copper wires.

However at some point data from F9 BT would have to then change networks & then travel over fibre optic cables which is what NTL Telewest use. I wonder if their is some sort of problem with the bridging or data translation process between the two different carriers systems. And I wonder were in the networks this problem is happening?

**If the emails are bounced back or returned to sender, it might be possible to find out where the problem occurred by reading the email headers. This should give some kind of details as to the nature of the problem.

Ivan
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

The problem is with NTL, we raised a problem ourside to check but this just confirmed it was NTL's problem. There's a few posts I've seen on usenet and from people on other ISP's saying exactly the same thing.

Ivan, the copper runs from your property to the BT exchange, from the BT exchange through BT's network to us is fibre.
N/A

So has there been any response to the issue from NTL Dave? As I say, sending via another mailserver or ISP allows the mail through, so it is obviously some sort of problem with NTL not wanting to accept mail from F9/ +Net, or is that a bit over simplistic?

**If the emails are bounced back or returned to sender, it might be possible to find out where the problem occurred by reading the email headers. This should give some kind of details as to the nature of the problem.

Headers from the delayed/ bounced messages have already been provided Ivan.
N/A

Hi again,

In reply DAVE I know about which bits travel over copper and through which networks but isnt it the case that NTL Telewst do have their own physical netowork infrastructure which is completely seperate from BT and so isnt it logical that at some point data crosses from one physical BT network onto or from NTL's (yes! I know its all fibre at those stages too, but isnt what I was saying still valid?). it has to be bridged and or translated via routers or switches etc.

**Or is it that NTL block mail from some other providors such as F9 Plusnet for some reasons we mear mortals would'nt be told about. Yes! OK may be your right may be the problem IS with NTL but the question is what are they doing about it and when are F9 customers going to be able to send & receive mail from NTL once again without all these problems. F9 customers need to know from NTL Telewest when they are going to fix this and the very least NTL need to tell F9 what the problem is (IT'S unacceptable for F9 users just to be left hanging like that IMO!!).

**Surely, NTL has a responsability to customers beyond its own user base to those people who want or need to be able to communicate via email to those who use the NTL domain/s (i.e. blue yonder and the like). Perhaps non NTL users are not considered at all (i.e. zero priority for email, well that seems obvious already?).

**didit, I was only trying to make a constructive comment!!

Ivan
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Everything points to it being a misconfiguration on NTL's mail servers. As I said we've seen reports of the same message from people using other ISP's. I think the best thing is for people to contact NTL directly or have the people you are mailing contact them so that they can see the severity of the problem and get it resolved.
N/A

Im an ex-NTL customer and can safely confirm that their service is terrible. Your E-mail problems do not suprise me. They have a very high staff turnover which has resulted in a severe lack of experienced staff.
When I was a customer, it took them approx 9 month to solve a severe problem affecting a large population of users whos E-mails were dissappearing. Extreamly poor service. Infact so poor, I would honestly not use them even if they provided a free service.
Yep, that frustrating.
I suggest you visit the forums in places like www.ntlhell.co.uk > www.ntlhell.co.uk to see how widespread the problem is, and if any resolution is in the pipeline. I saw a few threads about delayed\missing incomming e-mails.
I doubt theres anything F9 can do, which would not be their fault.
N/A

Hello dynem,

Gosh!! I wonder if things might improve with the NTL Telewest merger or will it become double HELL?? **Goes to prove that some forum users are quick to criticise F9 but as you say its NOT always PlusNets fault & that the ball in this case is firmly in NTL's goal.

Ivan