cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email non delivery reports being deleted

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

In the topic "Emails going missing!" it has been confirmed that a measure put in place to automatically delete fake bounce messages infected with the Sober virus has had an unfortunate side effect: NDRs (non-delivery reports - aka bounces) for emails sent via Plusnet's mail servers are being discarded as well.

This means that if an e-mail you send does not reach it's destination (for example you make a mistake keying the address) you will not receive a failure notification. I also find it worrying that at a time of year when people may be sending greetings to people they have not been in touch with for a little while, that people are not being alerted to the fact that their message did not reach it's intended destination.

In a response from Plusnet here Plusnet have reponded
... however as it is not directly customer affecting (no actual valid email is being lost) it will be assigned a low priority and is unlikely to be fixed now until the new year

They are also refusing to alert users to this by issuing a service status alert and setting the email service status to amber.

How email systems around the world are supposed to work is covered by specifications called RFC's. These make it quite clear that NDR's must be returned to the originator of the undeliverable mail. See post here

It appears what is needed is some refinement to the filter identifying the Sober infected fake NDR's.

Do you believe it is acceptable that this situation continue until the new year?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
1 REPLY
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Ben has posted an update to this in the other topic here

They have slightly changed the bounce message which stops the false identification. I've tried it and it seems OK.

Thanks Ben.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)