cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email issues - is this anything to worry about?

jfrank
Grafter

I sent an email to a friend of mine at Royal Mail today (as I have been doing for the past several months) and It got blocked by a spam filtering system. A link was also included in the return email which sent me to a website that fights spam called SORBS... It listed this on its database:

Database of servers sending to spamtrap addresses
Address: 212.159.14.213
Record Created: Thu Mar 9 01:51:25 2006 GMT
Record Updated: Sat Apr 15 20:40:25 2006 GMT
Additional Information: Received: from 212.159.14.213 (EHLO ptb-relay02.plus.net) (212.159.14.213) by mta221.mail.mud.yahoo.com with SMTP; Sat, 15 Apr 2006 13:05:54 -0700
Currently active and flagged to be published in DNS
If you wish to request a delisting please do so through the Support System.

Is this something to worry about? I don't know much about email servers etc. but I do notice that a plusnet/f9 mail server is listed in that chunk of information. Does anyone else have a better idea of what is wrong here?

I have also been targetted recently by some gits who are using my f9 email address to blitz people with spam (I only noticed because I was getting mail failure replies - between 10-30 per day). These are never my full email address but: <jumble of letters>@emailaddress.co.uk. I am always very careful with this address and never use it to sign up to anything that might encourage spam etc. (I use an old Wanadoo account for that Wink). For the record these emails are not coming from me (like when a virus might send out spam to your whole address book) it is being spoofed by someone.

Are these two problems related? I might have to consider a possible renaming of my account or something - if that is possible. I don't even know if the spamming is being directly related to me or not...

Anyone the wiser with email tech - your help would be much appreciated...
2 REPLIES
jfrank
Grafter

email problems

I have just found this on the service status part of the site:

The increased level of inbound mail activity we have experienced has been caused by a number of spamming groups who have actively targeted our mail platform with a sustained spam attack. This is not the first time this has happened and previously we put in place complex guards against this type of attack. However, the spammers are highly organised and have developed new techniques that we must now adapt our mail platform to cope with.

So I am guessing I have been caught up in that - anyone else? I did check the return path on some of the email failure messages and most of the seemed to originate from Canadian and Turkish Net providers, then again who knows ...
astarsolutions
Grafter

Is this something to worry about?

IMO It definitely it.
This basically means that any e-mails sent to any ISP/Company that uses SORBS (I do) will get there e-mails bounced.

F9 need to get there IP address de-listed asap or at least change it and then deal with the spam going through there systems so it doesn't happen again.