cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email issue?

Fixes: 115

Email issue?

Since turning off the CatchAll option yesterday my junk emails appear to have reduced considerably. Smiley

But, of those that do get through, I have noticed a few that should be blackholed but are not. It seems to be only to one specific blackholed address at present that has been set up for some time.

Also, I seem to have many emails that arrive without my address in the To field (as shown in OE), how does this happen?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

15 REPLIES
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 5

Email issue?

The ones where your address is not in the To field may be because your address is in the BCC field.

Phil

Email issue?

Yes, I forgot that possibility.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Mand
Grafter

Email issue?

Hi there,

I'd recommend raising a ticket so that we can ensure the mailbox in question is indeed still blackholed.

Glad to hear the SPAM messages have reduced somewhat though. Smiley

Email issue?

Hi Mand

I have raised ticket No. 21879967.

Thanks

Edit: Also finding that emails to addresses such as jbqzvq@colhindene... are still getting through. Why should this be?

Saturn
Grafter

Email issue?

The ones where your address is not in the To field may be because your address is in the BCC field.

Phil

Would you mind expanding on this comment. I have noticed some emails to me have gone missing when my address is in the bcc field and I've been trying to work out who's responsible for losing them. It could be the ISP that hosts my domain or it could be PN. Either way I need to determine who in order to resolve.
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 62

Email issue?

I may stand corrected but I don't think it should matter whether the emails are addressed to you using 'to' or 'bcc'.

What you might want to take a look at are the full email headers. It could well be that the 'To' and 'X-Envelope-To' headers are different.

As an example you may have blackholed the address blackhole@username.plus.com but not the address valid@username.plus.com.

On examining the headers you find that the 'To' field is set to blackhole@username.plus.com but the 'X-Envelope-To' header is se to valid@username.plus.com.

In the above situation you would receive an email that would on first sight appear as if it had been delivered to blackhole@username.plus.com when in actual fact it was delivered to the vaild@username.plus.com address.

This doesn't mean that your blackhole's not working so it's something to look out for.

Kind Rgds,

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Saturn
Grafter

Email issue?

Err, right :?

I can't look at the headers because I never received the emails. I just know they were sent to me but they never arrived. I sent some from my work email address and I sent some from my home email address to other people and bcc'd to myself. I haven't set up a blackhole address and so wouldn't expect that function to be operating on my account (correct me if I'm wrong here).

Email issue?

Thanks Bob.

That is, in fact, what seems to have happened to me. The 'Enevlope-To' address is a valid address although the To address isn't or has been 'Blackholed'.

So, is this yet another way for spammers getting round Spam filtering? How can we circumvent this so that we can check the Envelop-To address and blackhole those?

On a good note my average of 70+ emails an hour has been reduced to around 60 in the last 4 hours.

Mand
Grafter

Email issue?

Hi there,

The only way around it is to blackhole the address in the 'X-Envelope-To' field, but as this is an address you want to use this is obviously not possible. Sad

What client do you use? Could you setup a mail filter to trash all mail with the blackholed address in the 'To' field?

Email issue?

I use OE6 & I don't think what you suggest is possible - is it?

Mand
Grafter

Email issue?

I'm not sure to be honest, having not used OE for some time, I'll do a bit of digging and see what I can find.
Community Veteran

Email issue?

Courtesy of Microsoft Communities Wink

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/community/columns/junkmail.mspx

This explains how to set up rules in Outlook Express, written very clearly so easy to understand!

Hope this helps.

Roger.
Mand
Grafter

Email issue?

Cheers Roger, been a bit distracted with other stuff this PM so hadn't had chance to look yet.
Community Veteran

Email issue?

No problem Mand,

Always a pleasure, never a chore Smiley

/OT

What you doing working this time of night? you should be at home supping on a beer or glass of wine watching the Eurovision Wink

/OT