cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email delays: Just how many is a few?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I'd love to know what definition of the word "few" Plusnet use. My dictionary says "not many, a small number". Certainly using the word to describe more than 10 is pushing the definition somewhat. A few days would be far more accurate.

The first Service Status on this was 2006-04-29 21:08:37:

Delayed Incoming Email - NEW (Ref 3193Cool
We are currently investigating reports of delays being seen on some incoming email. No email has been lost and we can see the mail queuing up on our mail servers before being delivered to customer mailboxex.
We will post a further update when more information is available.
Kind Regards,
Dave Tomlinson
Customer Support

This has been going on for more than 10 days.

Come on Plusnet, just when are you going to admit that you've got a far bigger problem than you've said so far?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
41 REPLIES
N/A

Just received today's early emails, includes late emails, the longest delay being FOUR days!! Shocked
N/A

I'm giving them until close of play today, then I'm requesting a MAC code. They're taking the you-know-what out of us all with this. And I'd say, for me, it's 95% of all my emails which are being delayed.

I'm sure it's actually illegal to knowingly withold emails.
tylehouse

It reminds me of the way that binary newsgroups was run down before they were withdrawn.
I have had people ring me to ask if I have got their email yet!

Paul
N/A

I don't think they are intentionally witholding messages, rather they are trying to get them through, but having a tough time getting it right.
One of the big problems we have with emails is that once you get a backlog, it increases almost exponentially - with the loading on servers increasing all the time, further delaying delivery, and further increasing the backlog, which increases the loading, which increases the delay and so on.
The trouble is always trying to break the cycle, so that you can get queues to reduce - once you get the formula right, and mails are being de-queued faster than they are being queued, you have almost won.
I imagine there problems are being further compounded by users sending test messages, to try to check out if there is a problem etc.

Hopefully the fact that delivery has restarted might mean we are heading towards the resolution, but unfortunately, until mail leaves the queues and drops into mailboxes, they won't know that the problem is solved - thus we'll know almost as soon as they do that the issue has been surmounted.
N/A

I'd be more confident if they didn't lie about the length of delay "a few hours", huh, a few days more like it, and "we'll post an update tomorrow", huh, same lies two days later...
N/A

I wish they'd give another update. I've just changed my email forwarding so that Plusnet is bypassed for anything important, but I still have some emails tied up in the system. Sad
N/A

They're three hours late AGAIN now with their promised update. It's nice to know they think so little of their customers.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Things are improving - I've just received an email which has only been delayed by a few minutes...

6,375 minutes to be precise.

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
N/A

So there's no update (still) as far as I see.

No acknowledgement either to my ticket with an email header showing a 4+ day delay.

Poor show PN.
N/A

Delayed email, I can't even connect, what is the problem :x
N/A

So the update, amongst other things says;

Up until now, we have deliberately accepted all mail, even if it comes from ISPs who are listed as known spam sources.

So the suggestion is they won't be accepting email from all sources. I hope they implement this (possible) strategy better than some other recent ones.
N/A

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh, back on line now emails flowing in :roll:
Community Veteran

Same here, a few old e-mails have been dropping in to me and my mum's inboxes today - hopefully it's a sign of things to come.

Thomas
N/A

Re: Email delays: Just how many is a few?

This has been going on for more than 10 days.

Too right it has and no acknowledgement from customer support either; that takes the proverbial urine. Smiley