cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email at uni

N/A

Email at uni

Hey,

At uni my plus.net email won't send emails on outlook express. It will receive them no problem but it has a connection error when trying to send them. The settings seem to be right because it works when the pc is plugged in at home. Has anybody got any ideas. Cheers

Jon
11 REPLIES
James
Grafter

Email at uni

You need to try using your university's SMTP server if you are not connected to PlusNet at the time.
Community Veteran

Email at uni

As James has said you cannot use relay.plus.net if you are not connected via a Plusnet enabled line.

You can receive mail using mail.plus.net but you will have to use the Uni server for outgoing.
N/A

Email at uni

To save having to change it over depending on whether you are at home or at Uni, you could sign up for a Gmail account (there's a thread knocking about in this board with invites on it)

You can set up the account for SMTP/POP access (SMTP out, POP in)

The benefit is, that the Gmail server supports a secured connection for outgoing SMTP sessions, so you can use it to send mail from anywhere.

You could easily use mail.plus.net for incoming mail, and smtp.googlemail.com (instructions included via the Gmail portal) for outgoing messages.
N/A

Email at uni

So you the PN relay doesn't allow/require authentication?
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 5

Email at uni

What uni are you at? I have server names for some of the bigger uni's.

Phil
N/A

Email at uni

University of Nottingham

Cheers
N/A

Email at uni

So you the PN relay doesn't allow/require authentication?

Not directly from the mail client, rather it will only allow connections from PN IP's, either dial up accounts, or ADSL lines.

The only people that can use the PN email relay therefore, are PN customers.
N/A

Email at uni

PN does support smtp authentication for certain accounts like this one here which will work on 3rd party connects. Why PN does not offer this across the board I don't know.
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 5

Email at uni

I think nottingham have smtp.nottingham.ac.uk. It was with GroupWise anyway. I seem to remember them looking at migrating to Exchange around the same time as us, so that might have changed. Your Information Services Department is pretty good, so if that doesn't work pop along their and I'm sure they will help you.

Phil
pcorker
Grafter

Email at uni

If those suggestions didn't work you can try a free program called Postcast downloaded from here:
http://www.postcastserver.com/download/release.aspx?p=3
When you install it, it will tell you the parameter to enter as "Outgoing Mail (SMTP):" in OE's settings for each of your email accounts. Now, when you hit Send/Receive, OE sends the email to Postcast which, in turn, sends it out onto the internet. (You can see it in action if you click it's icon in the notification area right after doing Send/receive- it takes several seconds to do it's stuff) If it does not appear to work then click it's "log" tab for a view of what went wrong.

If your ISP does not apply constraints that cause problems it will be very simple. If not there is a good help and a forum where you can quiz the author (?) but he takes a few days to reply.

This is called "Running your own email server"
N/A

Email at uni

smtp.nottingham.ac.uk works! Thankyou very much for all your help. Its nice not having to use the webmail now. Cheers