Did you mean: 

Email address based on my web address

N/A

Email address based on my web address

Hi there,

Is it possible to set up an email address that would have the form:

whatever@mydomainname.co.uk eg

simon@mushentgrumbble.co.uk

where mushentgrumbble.co.uk is the free domain name that plusnet provided.

If so, how do I do it?

Many many thanks

Simon
4 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Email address based on my web address

> Hi there,
>
> Is it possible to set up an email address that would have the form:
>
> whatever@mydomainname.co.uk eg
>
> simon@mushentgrumbble.co.uk
>
> where mushentgrumbble.co.uk is the free domain name that plusnet provided.
>
> If so, how do I do it?
>
> Many many thanks
>
> Simon

From +net support page:
Receiving e-mail
The default setting for mail delivery to your Domain is by POP3. If you wish to change this to deliver mail to your own Mail Server instead of that of PlusNet, you'll be able to configure the DNS records required in the advanced configuration section located under My Domains. Information on how to configure SMTP mail can be found on the SMTP mail page under the technical support section of the portal.

Note that when numerous domains are hosted on a plus.net account with POP3 mail delivery all the mail to the same alias will be delivered to the same mailbox. For example, mail to sales@domain1.com and sales@domain2.co.uk will go to sales@username.plus.com where username is the name of the account on which domain1.com and domain2.co.uk are hosted. This problem can be rectified by hosting the domains on separate accounts or altering mail delivery so that mail is delivered to your own mail server for one of the domains.

So, if you have simon@mushentgrumbble.co.uk, emails sent to that address will arrive in simon@username.plus.com. Just set up accounts in your plusnet account to match the ones you want to use for your domain. You can send mail using the domains email address by duplicating the simon@username.plus.com account in Outlook and changing the email address to simon@mushentgrumbble.co.uk.

If that made any sense to you then great, I'm going to uncross my eyes. Shocked)
N/A

Hi there,
Yes, it's entirely possible. Just set up your mailbox in the normal way and it will work for both your username.plus.com and yourdomain.net.
For example, if you create a mailbox 'steve' and you have the domain chez-wavey.co.uk on your account then mail addressed to:
steve@chez-wavey.plus.com &
steve@chez-wavey.co.uk
Hope this makes things clear.
Regards,
Mike
--
| Mike Grice.....................Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Customer Support......................for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd..............http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet -----
N/A

Hi Mr Netstorm,

I wanted to say thanks for your outstanding answer. Are you one of the plusnet staff? You seem to know a lot about the system (I know its quite a general problem though).

Anyway thanks again. You have just single handedly redeemed all my lost faith in humanity!

Oh, and I hope your eyes are ok now!

Simon

Oh and thanks to Mike for his excellent reply as usual

WHO THE DADDY - PLUSNET THE DADDY! and so on and so forth.

> > Hi there,
> >
> > Is it possible to set up an email address that would have the form:
> >
> > whatever@mydomainname.co.uk eg
> >
> > simon@mushentgrumbble.co.uk
> >
> > where mushentgrumbble.co.uk is the free domain name that plusnet provided.
> >
> > If so, how do I do it?
> >
> > Many many thanks
> >
> > Simon
>
> From +net support page:
> Receiving e-mail
> The default setting for mail delivery to your Domain is by POP3. If you wish to change this to deliver mail to your own Mail Server instead of that of PlusNet, you'll be able to configure the DNS records required in the advanced configuration section located under My Domains. Information on how to configure SMTP mail can be found on the SMTP mail page under the technical support section of the portal.
>
> Note that when numerous domains are hosted on a plus.net account with POP3 mail delivery all the mail to the same alias will be delivered to the same mailbox. For example, mail to sales@domain1.com and sales@domain2.co.uk will go to sales@username.plus.com where username is the name of the account on which domain1.com and domain2.co.uk are hosted. This problem can be rectified by hosting the domains on separate accounts or altering mail delivery so that mail is delivered to your own mail server for one of the domains.
>
> So, if you have simon@mushentgrumbble.co.uk, emails sent to that address will arrive in simon@username.plus.com. Just set up accounts in your plusnet account to match the ones you want to use for your domain. You can send mail using the domains email address by duplicating the simon@username.plus.com account in Outlook and changing the email address to simon@mushentgrumbble.co.uk.
>
> If that made any sense to you then great, I'm going to uncross my eyes. Shocked)

N/A

Glad to be of service an no I don't work for +net. Used to work for another ISP.

Matt