cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email access slow

N/A

Email access slow

Is it me or is email slow to access?

It is taking about 20 seconds the first message to start downloading. It used to be much quicker, usually seconds.

regards
Steve Watkins
http://www.alienexistence.com
UK UFO Petition - To discover the truth once and for all..
7 REPLIES
N/A

Email access slow

There is no issue here.

You may try unblocking access to port 113 in your firewall, and try again.

It may be a identd timeout.
N/A

Email access slow

There is no issue here.

You may try unblocking access to port 113 in your firewall, and try again.

It may be a identd timeout.

Excellent! I shutdown my Sysgate Personal Free firewall and the problem dissapears. Next thing is how to allow access to port 113. I haven't blocked it as far as I know. I have given permissions to mailwasher and outlook express all open access.

Anyway, much appreciated..
Steve.W
N/A

Email access slow

I have worked out how to allow access to port 113 and applied it and it works great.

The information for doing this is on Sysgates website under FAQ incase anyone else has this problem.

I wouldn't have put it down to the firewall as it was eventually accessing it.

Anyway thanks again
Steve.W

EDIT : It's under Troubleshooting not FAQ sorry Shockedops:
N/A

Email access slow

Out of interest, does your firewall give a log entry for the attempt to access port 113 while blocked?

If does, present it here, and we can work to have this shut off.

identd is usualy kept around for reasons of history. Yes in all modern computing environments, it serves no purpose giving no security enhancments.

All it does these days, is to increase the amount of time it takes to deliver e-mail, when the port is blocked.
N/A

Email access slow

Weird, I have checked and there are no log entries for port 113. There are a lot of port 110 for outlook express and mailwasher.

This is what was on the Sygate site:

After installing SPF sending email is extremely slow, how can I fix this?
Products:
Sygate® Personal Firewall 4.x
Sygate® Personal Firewall Pro

Operating systems:
All supported operating systems.

Details:
Some email servers try and contact you on port 113 and will wait for your computer to respond before allowing you to send email. Sygate® Personal Firewall will block this port which will cause the email server to wait for that port to timeout before allowing you to send email. Timeout may take up to five minutes. This is not a problem with Sygate® Personal Firewall, it is because of your email server. One way to work around this is to open local TCP port 113.
Ianwild
Grafter

Email access slow

Hi Guys,

We shouldn't be doing Ident lookups, as Phillip has pointed out they are obsolete these days and really just cause problems. I have raised idea 2216 to disable these lookups on the servers.

Regards,
N/A

Email access slow

Regardless of the fact they are obsolete, they are still very widly used.

The three most common systems that use identd these days are IRC, FTP and e-mail services.

There are uses still in many other systems, and is an excelent tool in *nix intranets, however, at the internet desktop level, it is very inacurate.

IRC still uses it, for unknown reasons. Many server enable the requirment for a ident reply, which is rather pathetic, seeing how easy it is to install a identd server.

There is the fact it can help cure BOT clones running on *nix (though for those that want to know, oidentd will solve that one).

In the e-mail environment of IMAP, POP3 and SMTP and in FTP, it is nothing more that a resource hog. The data returned is not used in any meaningful way.

I have not used Freeserve for years, however, they did use identd for FTP connections, and would pose what I call a PAIN-IN-THE-*** when uploading pages. +Net had the same problem until a few months back.

I have 3 other providers (web-hosters) that are presenting exactly the same problem. Having a BT managed DSL connection in work, means we have no control over firewall rules. Thus to send a e-mail, there is an initial 30 second timeout.

For a 5 man office this can be a pain, and purchasing mail managment software is a pain (luckily, we just found some yesterday that may server our needs).