Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email Virus Notification

Del
Grafter

Email Virus Notification

Smiley Hi All,

Over the last couple of days I've had a good few notification emails from PlusNet informing me the PlusNet Anti-Virus scanning service has detected an email sent to my address which contains a virus or banned file extension.

One of them was called * Trojan.Downloader-390 which I notice was sent from mhesw@rigg88.plus.com, the latter being my email address.

My question is how can anyone send an email with a virus to me or anyone else from their own email address and can I or PlusNet do anything to stop this happening.

Sorry if this subject has been covered before.

Have a Happy New Year.
8 REPLIES
Couger
Grafter

Email Virus Notification

im getting the same emails infact ive gotten 34 of said emails
N/A

virus notification and undelivered returned mail

It's happening to me too [same trojan]!
I've also been getting 100s of notices saying mail from my plusnet account can't be delivered- but I didn't send these emails in the first place.
I've done a virus scan [twice] and it shows all clear.
I don't know what I can do next.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Email Virus Notification

Hi,

Not seen any of these myself, but chances are someone you know or someone who knows your email address has had their PC infected with a virus. The virus has then harvested your address and used it as both the sender and recipient address.

One of the inherent security flaws with email is that it is easy to use any email address as the sender's address.

Unfortunately there's not a lot that can be done, if the emails are being sent to an address you don't use then we can blackhole it, otherwise the best thing to do is ensure that you've virus checked your own PC and ask people you know to do the same.
Del
Grafter

Email Virus Notification

Smiley Thanks for the reply Dave,

I didn't think of that reason but it makes sense to me, I do remember a friend telling me their PC got infected by an email virus some time back although they will have got rid of it by now the damage will have been done.

I also use my own Anti-Virus software as well as having the PlusNet anti-virus switched on.

Del
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Email Virus Notification

That'll likely be it, a lot of viruses will harvest email addresses from any PC they infect and send the virus on to those addresses. Not sure if the collected addresses get sent back to the virus writers (who'd likely pass them on to the spammers) but wouldn't surprise me.

The whole virus/spam thing has taken a huge change in the past few years. Viruses generally used to just be different script kiddies and hackers trying to out do one another and spammers sent the mails themselves. Now they've all got together so that the hackers write the viruses to create themselves a botnet of compromised PCs for the spammers to send their spam through.
N/A

spam

Hi all Smiley

Its good to see that I am not the only one who gets loads of SPam. However. Its actually becoming a bit of an issue. I maybe get around 1 0r 2 personal mails in a day, and I have to filter through around 100 + mails to get at them. I have tried all manner of message filters ( TRy filtering "spamcop" in the headers, that catches a few).

The fact is that its beginning to get tedious. Could this be a Plusnet rival trying to damage business? I have a UKonline account that never gets spammed.

Anythoughts?
pennbank
Grafter

Email Virus Notification

Hi everyone
Same has started to occur to my plus netmail box
Looks like the New Year is starting to get annoying!!!!
sanderton
Grafter

Email Virus Notification

The Delivery Failures are addressed to madeupname@username.plus.com (at least mine are) so I set up an Outlook filter to dump anything not sent to a genuine e-mail address to the Junk folder. Works well.