cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email Storage

N/A

Email Storage

Does anyone know how much memory is allocated for email storage?
I've search the portal and only found reference to automatic deletion after 30 days of unread emails when they exceed 25MB. I use imap so my email storage is large so I need to know what the limit is so that I can take steps to make sure that I don't exceed it.
9 REPLIES
N/A

Email Storage

I think the limit has been 100 MB for some time (with an individual attachment limit of around 10 MB). If mail storage is important there are alternatives which have much more generous limits but for IMAP you may find you have to pay...

I could be very wrong on the numbers - they may be more generous, but having seen comments over the years about downtime, delays, and even (once) a complete loss of messages, it's not a service I trust.

Commercial services do exist, of course. Some have 1 GB or more of storage, but often not providing IMAP access (eg www.Yahoo.co.uk gives POP access, as does Gmail). www.Fastmail.net has a number of options, where you can try it free, become a "guest" member for a one-off fee of under ten quid (US$14.95) and then you can add storage for a fixed fee (I paid $25 for an extra 50 MB but they have increased the amount to 100 MB for the same cash, and the exchange rate is good at the moment)

I use www.Runbox.com with a 10 GB storage limit, 1 GB of file storage (FTP) and a weekly limit of 2.5 GB of traffic (which I've never managed!!) However they do have a yearly charge for use. You can try them free for 30 days. I was with them before they increased the limit to 10 GB... I paid $70 for 3 years, and have been with them for some time now.
N/A

Email Storage

Thanks for the feedback. I have seen 100MB mentioned before but can't find it on the portal. For imap 100MB is not enough and if it's limited to this than I can't see why Plusnet offer imap. Currently I'm about twice this and in the past probably have gone a lot higher. Have raised a question to get the actual figure from the horses mouth.

Don't particularly want to pay for another email servce as excluding the recent debacle the service has been good. I had more down time on the work email servers than PN. If I do move my email I might look at fasthost as a friend is a reseller and I probably get it free or cheap.
N/A

Email Storage

Dear Mr Chambers,
The mailstore allocation is 25MB, this is not currently a hard and fast rule in that mail is accepted if the mailbox goes over 25MB but we reserve the right to reduce mailsize if a mailbox is full or if mail is unread and over allocation.

The response from CS regarding my question. At 25MB it's not worth offering imap as the whole point of this protocol is to leave messages on the server.
N/A

Email Storage

That has always been the case at plusnet but it's rarely actually enforced, used to be that networks would not contact a customer until 1GB of stored mail was approaced. The policy has always been there IIRC just not enforced very often.
James
Grafter

Email Storage

We had to contact a customer with 5.5GB of stored email last week.
N/A

Email Storage

PN need to revisit this and update the stogage in line with the increase speed and the use of digital photography. A few years ago when everyone was on dial-up then 25MB was okay. In fact I use to whinged at friends not to send emails greater than 1MB to my personal email address. Now with the higher speeds of BB getting emails of 2MB or more is not that uncommon. So with a 25MB limit this is only 12 or so emails.
N/A

Email Storage

Certainly looks like any documents on the PN site should reflect their more enlightened outlook - I can understand them not wanting everyone to go as high as even 1 GB but stating 25 MB doesn't give a clue that you'd be OK with 250 MB or even 500 MB.
N/A

Email Storage

Recently there was a thread on the size of the email attachments and it was suggested by a Plusnet employee that attachments could be up to 100MB. Not much good if offically you only have a mailbox of 25MB. There seem to be a lot of confusion on this.
Community Veteran

Email Storage

The reason PN state 25Megs is so people don't go overboard with storing loads of large emails. As stated above, this limit is not really imposed and you can have several 100 megs of emails without too much trouble. If PN are concerned about your usage you will be contacted.

The email attachment limit is and always has been 100Megs, not 10Megs as posted earlier, however, this is larger than most other ISP mail servers allow so even though PN allow this size, the chances of it getting through are slim to none to non-plusnet email addresses. Also email is not a good transfer medium for files > 10 Megs anyway, its much better to store the file on your webspace and email a link to the recipient.