cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email Spam

Tyreal74
Grafter

Email Spam

been getting alot of email spam to my inbox lately...the ironic thing is i dont give out my email adrress for +net

any ideas?
24 REPLIES
sophos9
Grafter

Email Spam

Hang the spammers by their nuts whilst passing 24v through their tongues...

Dude, you don't have to, posting, selling of contact lists from companies etc all play part. Get some spam software or activate spam filtering in your portal
Tyreal74
Grafter

Email Spam

i have filtering enabled i think anyways...but its only to this 1 adress if they sold the list then surely my other emails would get it too?

either way id love to castrate the spammers and feed their nuts to a rabid monkey

(can think of worse but mods and all that ^_^)
Ritey
Grafter

Email Spam

The reason why we are getting this spam is because Plus.net is violating the Data Protection Act by letting anyone who visits these forums have access to our usernames.

And you dont have to be a member of plus.net to access these forums, you only need to sign in as a guest.

So spammers are bad but they can only spam to email address's that they have been given access to. So there is another party to blame here also.
Community Veteran

Email Spam

@ abblett

How is it a breach of the DPA by having our usernames on a *public* forum? Public forums by their very nature are *NOT* subject to DPA as the only information available are forum names, and any other information that the user wishes to display when setting their profile.

Now, if PN posted everyone's names, addresses and phone numbers in public, that would be another matter entirely, and the Data Protection Controller for PN would be taken out and shot at dawn.

Yes, you can only post in these forums if you are a contract customer and not Free Dialup (Edited to add - with the exception of the Free Dialup Forum), but you can't stop people reading the forums at all. You only need to do a google search and forum posts will appear.

Spammers do a great job of harvesting email addresses from *many* sources, so I would say that that this forum is not the only source.

Plus, added to that, spamming is not all that difficult to do with the correct software. Pick a domain name and get your random name generator to send out emails to *every* conceivable combination of characters from a-z & 1-9 and it don't take long at all.

I would strongly urge that you check your facts correctly before saying something that is not strictly correct - it just serves to frustrate everyone concerned.
Ritey
Grafter

Email Spam

The 'Forum Names' as you like to call them are our account id's to this ISP.
csogilvie
Grafter

Email Spam

It is, however, your choice to post on the forum, thus revealing your ID, surely?
Community Veteran

Email Spam

Yes... they are, but they do *NOT* give any other information at all. Therefore nothing is breached under the DPA.

It would be nice if PN gave us the opportunity to change our forum names, but they have their reasons for it, and that's something we *accept* when we post here.

Quite simply put, if you don't agree with it, *Don't* post in the forum it's as simple as that.

Edited to add - Colin got there before me!
Ritey
Grafter

Email Spam

And i surely would expect plus.net to take more care of my information that could be misused if put in the wrong hands
Ritey
Grafter

Email Spam

@rogerloxton
nice way to try and 'gag' ppl then Wink
Community Veteran

Email Spam

No it's not a way of gagging people as you seem to make it out to be.

Do you honestly think that if PN was in breach of the DPA with regards to these forums they would continue the use of usernames in the forum?

No - They would have to be taken offline until the breach was fixed and the Data Protection Controller was happy with it.
Community Veteran

Email Spam

Anyway, this has gone waaaaaay off topic now from the OP, so I think we should agree to disagree on this, unless of course a nice Mod could split the thread and put it somewhere else?
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 3

Email Spam

And i surely would expect plus.net to take more care of my information that could be misused if put in the wrong hands

I think you are clutching at straws there! After all, your username, 'abblett' is a reasonably well known surname. A determined spammer could just spambomb using email addresses constructed with <something>@<lastname>.plus.com, having nicked all the last names from a book and score pretty highly for hitting lots of our customers. This isn't our fault. This is a problem with the way email works.

All we can do realistically is improve our spam filtering. Or convince customer to use usernames like 12Ed3243e instead!
csogilvie
Grafter

Email Spam

There are plans to move the forums to using a 'nickname' for posts to the forums, but this is in the early development stages and won't be done until the new year.
Ritey
Grafter

Email Spam

I realise that spam can never be stopped its something that we live with but plusnet could at least do a couple of relativly easy things to make things better..

1. let users have a 'screen name' for use in the forums.

2. let uses have the ability to set their own preferences as to whether thay want a 'Catch All' email address. 3 options could be provided...
a) Catch All
b) Reject
c) Blackhole

If PN doesnt have ppl working for them that hav the ability to code these changes then they should employ more ppl.