Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email Settings on PDA

stevie
Grafter

Email Settings on PDA

:?:

Quick question - I have an o2 XDA Exec and have setup my plusnet account as a POP3 to send and receive emails.

I can receive emails no problem at all - I just cannot send any. The POP3 setting for sending are relay.plus.net and as far as I know doesn't require separate authentication like SSL.

Scratching my head and I'm sure it is something simple but has anyone any ideas what I am configuring wrong?

Thanks for any help.

Stevie
9 REPLIES
docrobster
Grafter

Email Settings on PDA

You can't send via relay.plus.net because you are (I presume) connected via O2.
This is common to most isp's to stop spammers using their servers.
Either use O2's smtp server and an o2.co.uk email address, or use www.mail2web.com/pda
I used it before with my palm connected via virginmobile it works very well.
N/A

Email Settings on PDA

There is a service plusnet do offer ( at a last count ) but do not advertise due to the lack of tack up on it.

Im not sure where the packages are now but you can create a new account and pay something like £1.99 a month or something to allow for the sending of emails from computers and ip pools outside of the plusnet network.

One of the comms team will have to point the page out though if possible please.

regards,
stevie
Grafter

Email Settings on PDA

Thanks for the replies folks. If there is anything in the package I'd be interested in finding out more but at the end of the day it is not important enough to start forking out more money on.

I'll just continue to pick up emails and if I need to send anything I will use my hotmail account which works just dandy.

Cheers.

Stevie
N/A

Email Settings on PDA

I cant say I have had or do have this problem. I mean I have a xda2s, but I use webmail. Having put my pda on Orange I can buy data bundles at little to no cost. Not to mention I run my own mail server instead of using plusnets mail server...

So I should be fine ( fingers crossed touch wood )
N/A

Email Settings on PDA

Just change the outbound server to smtp.o2.co.uk (assuming you are an o2 customer), that is all you need to do. The email you send will still look like it has come from your PN account. It works fine like that for me using an XDA2i (well did, still works fine even though I am no longer on PN BB :lol: )
Community Veteran

Email Settings on PDA

Indeed, similarly with my Treo 650 connected via Orange, all I need to do is specify Orange's SMTP server in the Treo's client and it works - no need to purchase anything extra.

Thomas
stevie
Grafter

Email Settings on PDA

Tried that and yes I'm an O2 customer so used smtp.o2.co.uk but still no joy. Ah well. As I said I'll probably just use hotmail for outgoing mail but I'll keep trying anything else which anyone comes up with.

Thanks for all the replies. Cheesy

Stevie
N/A

Email Settings on PDA

No reason why it should not work, did you make sure you put o2 and not zero2 (sorry if thats a bit basic but I have made the mistake before!!). I even retried it before making that last post and it worked fine!!
stevie
Grafter

Email Settings on PDA

Well tried it again and it worked this time so it looks like I'm sorted. Happy chap Cheesy

Thanks for all your help.

Stevie