cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Easynews

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Easynews

Well this is the first time I've tried to use this on a PlusNet connection for a while and ...

It's so slow it's taking minutes to load up just the home page, haven't tried to download anything but I don't hold out much hope at this rate.

Loading up fine when I connect to my work PC over their VPN - so doesn't seem to be a problem their end.

Please don't tell me it is throttled this badly by the Ellacoyas Sad

Surely the performance should be at least be better than dial-up?

Going back to my flat in a second, so I will try them on my non-PlusNet connection.
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Hmmm...

Well working fine on my non-PlusNet connection.

Haven't tried downloading - but at least the home page loads in a second or so...
N/A

Easynews

I too get very variable speeds on easynews http & nntp... it is definitely heavily throttled, even at non-peak times like now.
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 69

Easynews

Hi there,

I'm getting about 1Mbps on Astraweb at the moment so suspect Easynews will be similar. HTTP is likely to suffer more as it is a single thread. Multithreaded NNTP connections are what will give you the best speeds and should be better outside of peak hours.

Rgds,

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

N/A

Easynews

Hi Bob,

I had it from Plusnet that easynews http was throttled heavily the same as nntp, even at nonpeak times. I've found that easynews http rarely gets above 350-400kb/s where as other sites give 600+. A lot of the time its very variable and often gives as low as <20kb/s. For example at the time you posted I was getting about 70kb/s which is about usual for that time of day. Now I'm lucky to get >15kb/s.

Are you saying that Astraweb isn't throttled like Easynews? If so I might change! Cheesy

John
Community Veteran

Easynews

Bob,

Thanks for the reply - I'll give this a go again when I'm using my PlusNet connection next.

Bear in mind though I was only trying to load the homepage at www.easynews.com and it was taking 40 seconds or so just to load that up! It worked fine over my work VPN and also back at my flat half and hour later, so it appears something was being throttled.

I know I am on Plus etc. but I wouldn't expect the performance to be so poor it would take 40 seconds to pull a page of mainly text and a 12.5k JPEG.
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 69

Easynews

Are you saying that Astraweb isn't throttled like Easynews? If so I might change! Cheesy

No John, they'll both be prioritised the same. My Astraweb account does allow 10 threads now though which it never used to Smiley

Rgds,

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

N/A

Easynews

Oh well!

I'm currently getting 140kb/s from easynews with 10 threads. Time to put a question into Plusnet again to see if I should be getting more. Sad

edit:
I just disconnected my router to try another gateway (I think I was on pte-ag1) and am now on pte-ag2 with much improved rates of 800kb/s+.

John
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Easynews

My Astraweb account does allow 10 threads now though which it never used to Smiley

I've configured both the US and Europe Astraweb servers with 8 threads to each - that keeps it moving!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)