cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Easynews - what a gwan

N/A

Easynews - what a gwan

Before I start I have been with Force 9 since the late 90s and yes I have had a few hiccups but on the whole I'm very pleased. I'm currnently finding that when I try to download from easynews.com on my so-called 2Mbps unlimited broadband connection, the usual max speed has diminished to about 10% of that. For some reason this also stuffs the downloaded file half the time. Easynews state that Force 9 have a policy of throttling anything from their site. Does anyone know if this is true? - F9 support have not replied to this query.
19 REPLIES
N/A

Easynews - what a gwan

This is correct, you get 15GB a month a full/near full speed then its throttled to about 30kbs if you are lucky. Not sure when the 15GB limit is reset but I dont think it is the billing date as I was billed last week and I'm still getting 30kb/s.

F9 must be restricting by the ip adress of the site and not us the protocol as they support both HTTP and NNTP news.

I wonder what happens if you use a proxy server? and waht the F9 policy would be.
JonathanW
Grafter

Easynews - what a gwan

The usenet usage is reset at the start of each calendar month, so it will next be reset at the start of December.

The throttling is based on a few different things, which is why the http transfers are running slow as well as the nntp transfers.
N/A

Easynews - what a gwan

Thanks for th update about the counter, I just read it in another post just after.

I wonder what happens if you use a proxy server? and waht the F9 policy would be..

any answer on the above question though?
N/A

Usenet Usage

Thanks for replies. What I don't understand is the fair usage policy for my account does not appear to has not been exceeded. I'm on Broadband Premier 2Mb and according to the notes on this site I am supposed to be allowed up to 30Gb peak downloads and 100Gb anytime per month before I even get a warning. Using your own usage tools I have not had a warning , have used under 20Gb at peak time and 37Gb total. last month's use was lower and I've never had a warning about usage. Could someone let me know what are the "different things" that this is based on and where is this mentioned on the site?
JonathanW
Grafter

Easynews - what a gwan

There's nothing stopping you using a proxy server. However, if it still comes through as usenet traffic it will still be slow.

However, if you download it to somewhere else and then grab it via ftp/http then obviously it will run faster. The problem then being that if people start using a vast ammount of ftp/http traffic then steps might have to be taken.
N/A

Easynews - what a gwan

So I download to somewhere else presumably using another broadband connection :? then grab it via ftp - nice and simple - not. This is beginning to sound very odd. If F9 do not want us to download more than the mystery number of Gb from usenet sites, why not just change the fair usage policy -obviously the ahem "customer" then has the option of switching provider if they are not happy.

As it stands it appears I and others are being penalised with only a very vague idea why and apparently based on no particular policy. Anyone want to comment?
N/A

Easynews - what a gwan

I have been arguing about this ever since the 15GB limit was imposed. Sadly, the only solution I found was to migrate to http://www.zenadsl.com/ who do not have any stupid limits on the traffic. Its more expensive but if thats what it takes to get a usable service then fair enough.

This is a fact PlusNet seems to miss, that heavy users (although they have said before that 15GB/month is NOT a heavy user) are willing to pay a little more if they have to, in order to get the service they need. Id certainly like to be able to use my monthly Easynews bandwidth at full-speed every month thankyou.

I CAN confirm however that downloading to another location OR using a proxy server both work fine for easynews. However who wants to go to all that trouble. On principle im switching ISPs, I do not want them to think im happy or that I trust them to not put caps on another services in the future. If they have done it once, they will do it again.

Oh and for your information:

There's nothing stopping you using a proxy server. However, if it still comes through as usenet traffic it will still be slow.

This quote is pure fabrication. There is no way HTTP CAN be Usenet traffic, http IS http - plain and simple. The ONLY way http traffic can be identified as Usenet traffic is if PlusNet have a blacklist of IP addresses and/or domain names which they consider to be "usenet traffic". As such, a proxy server should NEVER get tagged as Usenet traffic because it is not - a proxy server could be traffic from ANY site on the web, thats the point.

Its worth noting I got as low as a stunning 3k/sec download speed from Easynews tonight. It did eventually increase back to 30k but this is yet another clear sign that im doing the right thing in changing ISPs.

It must be said, im VERY sad to leave Force9/PlusNet as my ISP as im all for supporting an ISP located in the city I live in, but their service has deteriorating drastically since 2002 when I first got broadband with them. I remember Force9 back when I had dialup with them and was allowed to go into their offices to pay cash for my account, those were the days. Im afraid they have long since lost that sense of customer service.
Ben_Brown
Grafter

Easynews - what a gwan

This is a fact PlusNet seems to miss, that heavy users (although they have said before that 15GB/month is NOT a heavy user) are willing to pay a little more if they have to, in order to get the service they need

For this to be sustainable however you would have to pay more than a little more. We do not believe in subsidising the heavy users by charging light users far more than we have to like some other ISP's out there, so for an account that would allow you to use several hundred GB per month then we would have to set the prices so high that no-one would sign up for it.

We need to make our network work best for the most customers and not cater for the top 1% of users, as doing this would mean that we would be forced to charge the vast majority of our customers for far more bandwidth than they will ever need.
N/A

Easynews - what a gwan

I can confirm a proxy works ok, I have one setup in flashget for easynews and it works a treat and maxes out my connection. one off setup aswell..

However I think this is maybe a little selffish for those who do not have the capability to do this. Why should I be allowed to play the systems and get 230kb/s when other cannot and possibly at the detriment to their service. That is why when I move house soon(in new year) and my F9 connection wont be coming with me.

There are always ways around things, and to be honest I would have thought (maybe wrongly) that the bigger downloaders are usually the more technical savvy and so there will ikely be more of this.

I'm sorry to go as I consider my self a long timer, here well before broadband if I recall, but as people keep sayin'. Its time to put my money where my mouth is.
N/A

Easynews - what a gwan

Thanks for the proxy tip although unfortunately I'm not that technical so probably wouldn't know how to do it.
What gets me about this is the confusion. No-one seems willing or able to tell me what I have done "wrong" to be restricted from downloading from one of my favourite web sites, other than the vague notion that I download more than some other people who use F9. This is a bit like a restaurant offering all you can eat for a tenner and then telling you to leave after your first helping without giving you any reason. If I have taken the proverbial then no-one actually told me at any point. I just found out after spenting all day trying to fix a problem that F9 had made the decision to cause. Is that good customer service? Not in my world it isn't. - bizarre is what it is.
N/A

Easynews - what a gwan

The 30kb/s isnt because you have done anything wrong, its a limit applied to everyones account if there usenet access goes over 15GB.

For example on my 2Meg line:
0-15GB - Silver Priority - Upto 230kbs depend on network performance.
15GB + Sub Bronze Priority - fixed at 30kb/s maximum.

The counter is reset on the 1st of each month. i.e. the 1st Dec is the next reset.

This is on top of any SUP limits that may or may not hit. Other than using a proxy or downloading to a different server first then theres is nothing you can do, other than go to another ISP. I think F9 is the only ones limiting at the moment.

I dont like the SUP, I preferred the FUP more but I can live with either. but what gets me about this whole thing is not so much the caps. It that F9 are dictating what type of download I can perform.

Its like my bank telling me which shops I can spend my money at... I know I have a bank limit but I expect to be able to spend that limit when and where I choose.

If I decide that I want to spend 90% of my 15/100GB limits on usenet instead of web traffic then I should be allowed. the fact is those 15/100GB limits are just to cloud the issue. because with the traffic prioritsation on P2P and Usenet you'd likely never hit the limits anyway.

F9 control the traffic priority because its way more effective than an overall cap. Many ISP do caps.. but I dont know many that prioritise traffic in the way F9 does.
N/A

Easynews - what a gwan

I like the bank analogy and I agree; I have no objections to an overall limit or even additional payments if you go over. I do think that 15Gb is inadequate these days, especially as easynews lowest tariff is 20Gb/month. 30Gb would be more realistic on a 2mb connection. The main thing that irks me though is that I would just like to have been told this before I spent hours investigating the problem. It also appears that f9 support don't even know this or as seems more likely now, have taken a vow of silence :!:
N/A

Easynews - what a gwan

I love the "but lite users would have to pay more" argument.

Light users surely are more likely to go with AOL, BT, Tiscali, NTL etc etc. Technically savvy users (ie ones who are likely to use MORE bandwidth) however have always seemed to be the ones you advertise for, because no novice needs a Usenet server, web space with CGI and MySQL or static IP addresses - some of the major selling points of your accounts. Its YOU who decided to then scale back and introduce lighter accounts, but when most of us signed up you were the ISP for "people who know what they are doing", people who find AOL, BT etc too restrictive. Now you have just become another average ISP because those 1% of users you still have that have been around a while are no longer wanted, we use too much bandwidth or the wrong kind of bandwidth.

I cant really comment on the ISP im moving to (Zen Internet) but they claim to have NO caps whatsoever, have never had them and do not plan to have them, yet they have tons of happy customers all the same. How do THEY afford to do that if you cannot?
N/A

Easynews - what a gwan

I had a look at the Zen Internet site and it doesn't actually state unlmited or unrestricted downloads as far as I could see. What it dees state is unlimited time online. It also seems to be more expensive that F9 so I would be careful there. Fasthosts seem to be offering proper unlimited 2mb for £30/month which is more expensive obviously but even though I don't want to swtich, for me the Ferrari restricted to 30mph thing, is just plain annoying so it might be worth the extra £2 a week and I know they have a good rep. If anyone else has seem anything better please let me know?