cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Easynews dl speed???

N/A

Easynews dl speed???

Ok, been with plus net for over 18 months, been very pleased, introduced friends and family all over the country, singing their praises etc etc.
however the last few months have really been a grind and full of fustration, you know the kind you got whne on a 56k dial up!!
The forever changing rules and SUPs etc are becoming a bit of a farse.
it seems that there is now a 15 gig limit on downloading from binary groups, ok no biggie, don't usually get anywhere near that........however if i try downloading during the day i am lucky to get a download speed of 26 - 40k. P*ss poor when i am paying for a 2MB pipeline, laughingly called 'premier'.
Now i have contacted 'customer fob off services' who are unable or willing to give me an explanation as i am no where near my limit, all other sites and tests are fine.
As an experiment i got my brothrer who lives the other side of the country to download of a binary site - no prizes for guessing what happened there - 30k.
So it's quite clear to me there is a general clamp down on speed - but plus net don't seem to want to acknowledge it.
So the question is are all of you suffering speeds slower then a dial up modem when downloading from bin groups - and if so have you been given an explanation? :?:
26 REPLIES
N/A

Easynews dl speed???

No. I get 118KB\s (full whack on my 1 meg line) from Newshosting or Plusnets own server. I don't download during the day (at work), but during the evening peak I still get these speeds. Might drop soon though as I am on the cusp of hitting 15gb....
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Easynews dl speed???

Hi,

Are you just seeing these speeds on usenet traffic or across the board on everything?
If you've reached 15GB of usenet traffic this month then that would explain the speeds you are seeing (note it's 15GB in a calendar month not a billing month) as we've made changes to how usenet traffic is managed.
N/A

dtomlinson

surfing is generaly slower then it used to be............but if i'm downloading an ISO off MS's technet site for instance i get full speed, if ~I download a driver for an image i get full speed - the restriction is on bin groups.
when i check my download counter on the Plus Net site my total for the month for on and off peak is under 8 gig, that's everything, not just easynews, like i said no where near the 15 limit.
i suspect the management system in place is flawed !! question is when is it going to be rectified?
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Easynews dl speed???

When was View My Usage reset? as I said above the Usenet 15GB runs on calendar month so started on 1st November. VMU runs on your billing date which may be different.
N/A

Easynews dl speed???

What is the likelihood of the usenet allowance running on your billing month in future? Its easy to see why it confuses people the way it stands. Is it just a matter of technical problems implementing this?
N/A

usuage reset

the date of usage at the top of the panel is nov 9 - dec 8, i take it that is what you are after?
N/A

Easynews dl speed???

Hi,

I've been having problems with easynews downloads now for a while. I'm totally amazed to see this thread regarding throttling of the downloads... You guys cant be serious - Where does it classify Easynews and other Web based usenet sites as NNTP traffic? Unless I've mis-read something I think it's pretty unfair to throttle what is quite simply HTTP traffic (Slowest: 6k/s Fastest: 19k/s)... I used to get 110k/s.

Where does it state that this 15gb usenet limit applies to HTTP traffic from a 3rd party's server?

Also, my current usage is about 2gig this month, so is there any reason why I'm being throttled - Easynews say in true technical fashion that everything's fine at their end and it must be a problem with my ISP.

Just feels like every time I blink something else get's throttled. Perhaps I should start throttling my ISP ;-)

- Martin
N/A

Easynews dl speed???

I too am amazed at the sly tactics plisnet are up to. I complained to them a week ago about speed I got the usual reply that i had used up all my quota and i was now being throttled on the Usenet group, so i paid my dues to newsdemon only to find that my download speed stayed the same 30-40kbs on a 2meg premier account. I was under the impretion that I was not using plusnets news server and so was not hogging their system. Could Plus net please refund me the money I have wasted joining these independent news servers that are charing and give a clear explanation as to how they know what servers i connect to. This is getting beyond a joke.
N/A

Easynews dl speed???

i have the same problem but with torrents. i am unhappy with tis service and i have only been with plusnet for 5 days so if thay say its becouse of the cap i will laugh. Anyone else having this with torrents?
MysteryFCM
Grafter

Easynews dl speed???

I don't personally anymore, but my brother uses Torrents, DC++ and KCEasy and has noticed a dramatic drop in speeds (from 100Kbps+ to less than 10Kbps..... and we're no-where near the cap)
N/A

Easynews dl speed???

I have the same problem with easynews... I can only advise to seek a different ISP which is what I will do
N/A

Easynews dl speed???

I too am amazed at the sly tactics plisnet are up to. I complained to them a week ago about speed I got the usual reply that i had used up all my quota and i was now being throttled on the Usenet group, so i paid my dues to newsdemon only to find that my download speed stayed the same 30-40kbs on a 2meg premier account. I was under the impretion that I was not using plusnets news server and so was not hogging their system. Could Plus net please refund me the money I have wasted joining these independent news servers that are charing and give a clear explanation as to how they know what servers i connect to. This is getting beyond a joke.

Ahaa! So you're the person that beat me to that username - if you leave can I have it? :lol:
N/A

Easynews dl speed???

This is a joke! I've been through everything in my setup after only getting 30k dl on my easynews connection for the past few days.

Why on earth am I paying for a PREMIER connection if im getting throttled on http traffic now. I pay easynews a monthly fee for access to their servers and I pay plusnet too, do plus net care? No. I have never once been informed that this was happening and find it totally unacceptable that it has.

How do I leave?
ChrisR
Grafter

Easynews dl speed???

By requesting your MAC key via a ticket.