cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Easynews/Usenet/Giga news etc..

N/A

SHOCKING

I recently went back to using Easynews having given up a while back due to poor speeds via Plusnet ( ok with pipex )

Last week EN speeds where ok, but now they're TERRIBLE.

seems there's no option other than to go through LEVEL3.Net once the route hits UK shores ( not so with pipex though )

check these figures from a recent trace!

ae-1-0.bbr2.London1.Level3.net av=139.09 worst=160.39
ae-15-55.car5.London1.Level3.net av=139.94 worst=169.01
212.113.11.35 av=139.31 worst=163.56
gi12-0-204.ptn-ag2.plus.net av=139.36 worst=149.56

These are'nt the WORST figures I've seen so far, but thought it best to show the average so as not to bias this information.

Can someone at Plusnet give Level3.net a kick up the backside to make them aware of this problem? Level3 network before the jump to UK is FINE (example being last USA hop is:
so-2-0-0.gar1.LosAngeles1.Level3.net av=14.80 worst=51.33)

I dont P2P ever ( so I'm not bogging down the service ) and when I get usenet stuff , it's nearly always after midnight and I always set my download to co-operative mode so as not to max out my line.
It's not much to ask really.
I've seen others have the same problem.

Can there not be seperate shaping for http downlaods instead of bunching it all in with the heavy P2P'ers? It hardly seems fair. Huh
9 REPLIES
Plusnet Alumni (retired) _CN_
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

over the pond hops do add to the response times -

9. 10ge-6-0-0.lon11.ip.tiscali.net 0.0% 16 67.6 70.4 67.6 79.5 3.0
10. so-1-0-0.was10.ip.tiscali.net 0.0% 16 143.4 144.1 141.3 147.1 1.7

tiscali jumps 60ish to 140ish

as-3-0.bbr1.NewYork1.Level3.net 0% 10 10 60.69 61.12 62.78
ae-1-0.bbr1.London1.Level3.net 0% 10 10 125.22 133.59 196.96

level3 seems to be about the same
N/A

Is there any explanation fo rthe terrible speeds I'm getting then?
A couple of days ago it was ok, I've tried it via a pipex account and thast ok, but through plusnet it's poor ( about the same as it was when i was on regular 2mb premier, I'm on max now, and I always get good speeds elsewhere. )

I've switched routes at easynews through all their different networks, ( and all are ok at their end with good USA results ) I've tried port 80 and 81 http, 443 ssl, https at 81 etc...

I think it's Level3.net London thats the problem.

I normally get a good 200-260kbps score back from easynews trace page results, but since the problems started again it's anything from 12kbps to 90 at best.

I think Level3 staff would take more note of a request to check their router ( ae-1-0.bbr2.London1.Level3.net )from Plusnet staff as opposed to regular joe bloggs end user like me.

Also, what are your views on seperating Usenet/Http downloads from P2P traffic? when it comes to shaping policies?
The P2P bunch really do look like resource hogs if your graphs are anything to go by.
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Try disconnecting and reconnecting till you hit the dsl gateway called thn-ag1, in a traceroute your looking for lo0-plusnet.thn-ag1.plus.net, HTH
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

if your on MAX and doing lots of disconnects in a short time might be wise to kill the PPP rather than pulling the sync
N/A

HuhHuhHuhHuh?? huh HuhHuhHuhHuh?

I understand the not constantly discon/recon as it might induce a lower bras profile/max stable rate figure ( which would NOT be a good idea! )

please explain the PPP sync idea? ( in laymans terms )

cheers Shocked)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi

Sorry, not sure what router you use but on mine I shut the dialer interface to disconnect rather than pulling the adsl cable out of the BT socket, or if using a modem shut the dial connection rather than pulling the adsl cable, HTH
N/A

ah right Netgear DG834G v1 I get it, i'll disconnect.
reconnect, tracert, discon, recontracert keep going till i get to lo0-plusnet.thn-ag1.plus.net
then we'll see how my connection is!
if it's good, i'll hold off downloads till after midnight as it's the thoughful thing to do Cheesy
Alecto
Grafter

error - totally off topic, but aren't you regretting your witty user name yet? :lol:
N/A

Nah!!! I'm happy laughing at myself! it means I can join in with everyone else!

Cheesy

Oh, and I see my name more and more these days! kewl eh!