cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EasyStart - No Refferals?

Community Veteran

According to the product info the easystart package doesnt have a refferal value. Is this right? One of my refferals has just come to me for advice about upgrading.

If he hadn't been a close friend I would have recommended normal ADSL home and got him to source hardware from me (which he would have been worse off doing though).

What incentive is thier for me to recommend this package to people?

Chris
11 REPLIES
jberry
Grafter

Chris,

The easystart package is designed to attract customers who do not want to pay anything up front and who want to be get good value for money at the same time. In order to facilitate this the profit margins on the account are slimmer than on the self install and therefore we cannot offer a referral discount on top of it - the same reason that home surf also gives no discount. If you do the math you can work out why there is a difference.

Regards,
Community Veteran

As discussed earlier- Ive done the math, this doesnt explain the reasoning for offering refferals in the first place. My point is unless refferals are offered on all accounts it is a waste of time.

Chris
N/A

Whatever the math, the approach is inconsistent and likely to confuse. You either have a referals programme or you don't.. IMO.
jberry
Grafter

Hi there,

I can see your reasoning behind this but even before easystart we did not offer referrals on every account. The home surf and biz surf accounts have never had a referrals discount.

The referral values for all of our accounts are displayed on the portal and if the problem is that someone you have referred has gone for the easystart then I am afraid that there is nothing that we can do. The decision was made when the account was spec'ed and we cannot now raise the price of the account by 50p just so that a referral can be given. Sorry if this is not the ideal response but no changes will be made to this policy.

Regards,
N/A

Yep, that's the corporate response I would expect and the one that I would give if I were in your position. I have no issues with the financial logic behind the policy, you can't give away what you haven't got. I also have no axe to grind about referrals. I recommend PlusNet to colleagues and friends largely because of the quality of service, but I've never made a penny from any who may have signed up. My choice/inaction.

The 'policy' however is inconsistent and undermines PlusNet's own marketing activities. PlusNet make a BIG play about their referral scheme and the policy as applied to EasyStart does nothing to support this. Someone needs to think about the future role of the referral scheme in PlusNet's marketing. It is obvious that as services in this space move more towards low cost commodity offerings there will be less margin to support funding of the referral scheme.
jberry
Grafter

Hi there,

I accept your concerns about this and will of course convey them to our management team for consideration - although I am not sure what response, if any, will be made.

Regards,
N/A

I still prefer Pipex's referal programme.
1 referall = 1 free month of ADSL
N/A

I still prefer Pipex's referal programme.
1 referall = 1 free month of ADSL

oooh.. I'd love that! I'm on 1Mb Homeworker, circa £44 per month.. Sadly I don't think it would work commercially for PlusNet.

Josh... you may have misinterpreted my comments... I don't have any concerns, personally, PlusNet offer a great service at a competitive price and that's my main interest/concern. I don't use the referral scheme so I'm largely indifferent to the impact of any changes in the scheme. The point I was trying to make, poorly I guess, is that there is a customer perception issue for PlusNet to manage as far as the referral scheme is concerned. I think it's inevitable that the referral scheme will become commercially unviable for PlusNet on no-frills accounts, as evidenced by the EasyStart account. If you stopped the whole referral scheme today I could care less. Others I know will disagree with my view.
N/A

EasyStart isn't no-frills, infact, you could call some of the other packages no-frills when compared. It is more of a mixed feature package, or "Somthing different to the norm".

I have to agree that there should be incentive at all times to get people signed upto your packages. It is well known that referal schemes are designed to gear existing cutomers into your advertising.

Referals just reward them for this effort.

When you start offering packages that entice the public to subscribe to them, very good, marketing is paying off. However, it is most likely that a customer that has helped in your marketing is now not going to receive a reward for there efforts.

I have allmost had to pleed with a friend to use a package that offers referal incentives (of which, I didn't get it anyway, claiming he has contacted support (though I know he aint)), rather than following the shiney new thing, the next model up (same thing, just more shine).

As such, this is leading to the customers almost using "Dixons Sales person" tactics to get them onto a refering package.

Maybe the referal sceheme should be changed to allow one off incentives.

Going the pipex way and offering a months free DSL is not the kind of thing you should do. Seems over the top to me.

However, the ability to do this, or simply a 1 off £3 discount for refering a user to the EasyStart package would give that boost again.

The incentive to recomend without force is back and it means that some users that no longer recomend, because a referal simply goes for a non-rewarding package, will return.

I am sure most here would agree, packages that currently offer no incentive, would benefit from a one off incentive.
jberry
Grafter

Josh... you may have misinterpreted my comments

No problem, I think I just worded my response incorrectly - should have used the word point instead of concerns - since this is something that our marketing department will have to keep in mind for the future.
N/A

Referral

Some accounts attract no referral fee whatsoever, however don't be discouraged from referring people to these accounts, because they might just upgrade to a referral-giving account.