cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EVER so SLOW

N/A

EVER so SLOW

Since thursday my 2mb premier has been extremely slow, asian websites takes between 2 - 5 mins to load / time out completly, email keeps timing out, downloads are pretty useless, off-peak p2p is below bb+ speeds. Spoke users who use +net and they all says that +net is SLOW

Looking at the Broadband Bandwidth Usage Chart, bandwidth usage is down for yesterday and today. Should'nt this mean overall faster SPEEDS for web / email and web downloads??

I do hope this is being investigated ...
26 REPLIES
N/A

EVER so SLOW

I'm seeing a real slowdown testing speeds on ADSLGuide tester that usually shows the results in my sig, I'm now getting:

Downstream 925 Kbps (115.6 KB/sec) 999 Kbps (inc. overheads)
Upstream 248 Kbps (31.0 KB/sec) 267 Kbps (inc. overheads)
N/A

EVER so SLOW

i agree, over the last week, p2p hit low levels, streaming media constantly interupted, more time outs than succeful loaded pages, msn stopping and disconecting. its getting rather tedious luckily im on a month to month contract, a change may be in order.

How the goverment think broadband will really hit full coverage is beyound me, these companies (and i have been a big promoter of plusnt) promise, fast multimedia rich experience, maybe 4 years ago yes, but now no, what will they do if they have a full 100 percent customer base on broadband, we will see the following

ultra cheap 50mb broadband, with restrictions in place from 1 am to 12 am, and a download linit of 500mb, no doubt cynical i know.

i get the feeling that its a cost cutting way to get the real money the buisness users. guaranteed low download rates, yet high revenue, and rather than enhance their capacity, they throttle the home user thus encurring no costs. good buisness plan indeed.

except, it only takes someon like ukonline to offer a better package, and off we all go to them, and thus the cycle begins
N/A

EVER so SLOW

AG Tester is ok for me but p2p and usenet slow speeds 10 - 20kb/s

Downstream 1863 Kbps (232.9 KB/sec) 2012 Kbps (inc. overheads)
Upstream 245 Kbps (30.6 KB/sec) 264 Kbps (inc. overheads)
Ben_Brown
Grafter

EVER so SLOW

Has anyone tried the BT Speed Test?

The majority of speed issues at the moment are down to contention at your local exchange.
N/A

EVER so SLOW

The majority of speed issues at the moment are down to contention at your local exchange.

Contention should'nt affect timing out / extremely slow web pages should it? Even when my exchange was in the red, web pages came down fine with no timeouts etc. I know you trying to help Ben, but this only started after +net had "transit problems" and seing that there is more bandwidth available since thursday, I would presume web surfing SHOULD be faster?

I can handle contention / SLOWER speeds but if my connection is timing out or is dailup is faster for web surfing, then I conclude there is something wrong on the network?? ... NO?
Ben_Brown
Grafter

EVER so SLOW

If there is a problem with contention at your exchange then you could well get timeouts on webpages.

If you do some BT Speedtests we'll be able to see if the problem is with contention or if it is something else.

Are you having problems with specific sites or all the sites you're trying?
pjay
Dabbler

EVER so SLOW

I'm getting 400-500Kbps on my 2MB Premier the last couple of days. I have tried the BT Speed test and my exchange is green. Nothing changed in my setup (Netgear DG834G router).

Should I raise a ticket to get my line checked?
N/A

EVER so SLOW

Do you get that speed on the BT speed test?Huh
N/A

EVER so SLOW

Timeouts are mainly from china, some are from korea, japan and hong kong.

Guess I have to live with SLOW web pages for the time being
Ben_Brown
Grafter

EVER so SLOW

If you are only having problems with sites from a particular part of the world then it is likely that there may be a problem with an international link somewhere which will affect more than just our customers.

Have you tried running a traceroute to one of the affected sites?
N/A

EVER so SLOW

I'm on 2Mbit ADSL currently crawling at ISDN speeds third weekend in the row:

adslguide speed test
Downstream Actual Speed 68 Kbps (8.5 KB/sec)

bt test
The speed test has completed on test server speedtester2.nat.bt.com for user [here my phone number] and you have downloaded a 1.7Mb file at a speed of
1755 kilo bits per second (Kbps), your service bandwidth will have been quoted to you in kilo bits per second.

As you can see it's not exchange or line

Here's current ping to www.plus.net from router, all machines at home disconnected:
PING 212.159.8.137 (212.159.8.137): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 212.159.8.137: icmp_seq=0 ttl=249 time=750.0 ms
64 bytes from 212.159.8.137: icmp_seq=1 ttl=249 time=1030.0 ms
64 bytes from 212.159.8.137: icmp_seq=2 ttl=249 time=950.0 ms
64 bytes from 212.159.8.137: icmp_seq=3 ttl=249 time=760.0 ms

Gateway Telehouse East, Juniper 4 (pte-ag2)

Pings from yesterday around 22:50 pm:
Reply from 212.159.8.137: bytes=32 time=1120ms TTL=248
Reply from 212.159.8.137: bytes=32 time=1246ms TTL=248
Reply from 212.159.8.137: bytes=32 time=954ms TTL=248
Reply from 212.159.8.137: bytes=32 time=1009ms TTL=248

Can't play, can barely browse, forget about heavy activities. Switched off Windows machine and booted Solaris box, ping times and browsing is also at ISDN speed levels, so it's not spyware or anything flying on the local network...

Can you do something about it?
Ben_Brown
Grafter

EVER so SLOW

Have you tried powering down the router for a bit and trying again? This might get you connected via a different gateway.

I've checked your account and it all looks ok, can you allow icmp requests on your firewall so I can see what sort of ping speeds I get from here to you?
N/A

EVER so SLOW

You can try pinging me now
N/A

EVER so SLOW

mine went to 1meg for the best part of today seems to be ok now