cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

E-mail to AOL bounces back

Username
Grafter

E-mail sent to various AOL address are being bounced back with the link http://postmaster.info.aol.com/errors/554rlyb1.html for more info.

Is there a PlusNet user who's spamming the AOL system, and causing this problem, if so can anything be done to stop them?
10 REPLIES
Ben_Brown
Grafter

Are you sending mail from your own mailserver or using relay.plus.net?

Also, can you paste in the full error message?
N/A

If you are sending some sort of attachment it will bounce back fron Aol
Julie
Grafter

Hi,
I had exactly the same thing happen to me when I e-mailed a friend of mine yesterday. on AOL
The e-mail was returned with exactly the same error.
I sent using relay.plus.net.
it was returned immediately.
This was the exact message Ben FYI
This message was created automatically by mail delivery software.

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its
recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:

xxxxxxxxx@aol.com
SMTP error from remote mailer after initial connection:
host mailin-03.mx.aol.com [64.12.138.57]: 554 (RLY:B1) http://postmaster.info.aol.com/errors/554rlyb1.html
I have just sent it to him again, and so far it has not been returned.
Please note there was no attachment and I have sent attachments to him before, but he has to go to his webmail to download them Smiley
AOL really are a Pain Cheesy
N/A

AOLOL, AOLHELL !

Last thing I heard was someone from +net was going to talk to Aol about lifting this ban on +net domains?

It's quite embarrassing trying to keep in touch with friends who are on AOL who I can't contact, and trying to persuade them to use gmail accounts Smiley
Ben_Brown
Grafter

We actively monitor things like this and try and get us removed from AOL's blacklist (or more accurately added to their whitelist) as soon as there are problems with it but unfortunately the success of this is entirely out of our hands.
N/A

Yep completely understand, just as it is with BT on certain issues, as well I guess. It must be just as frustrating for you guys as it us for us.
N/A

I've got my own mail server and I'm having the same problems. I can receive email from AOL members, but sending mail to them is a different story.

I've had the same error as Jules. I did contact mail-abuse.org and asked them to remove me off their DUL, as mentioned on their website but they're saying that they will not do it without some form of communication with PN.

I added a ticket onto the portal, and PN said basically you're the administrator of your own mail server, so sort it out. They also said that they wouldn't contact them but I should relay my mail through relay.plus.net.

Why can't PN sort this properly? It can't be too hard.
N/A

It's happening again!

I have just had an email bounced back from AOL
This message was created automatically by mail delivery software.

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:
xxxxx@aol.com
(generated from xxxxx@xxxxxxx.co.uk)
SMTP error from remote mailer after initial connection:
host mailin-02.mx.aol.com [205.188.157.25]: 554- (RTR:CH) http://postmaster.info.aol.com/errors/554rtrch.html
554 Connecting IP: 212.159.14.234

The web page referred to shows:
http://postmaster.info.aol.com/errors/554rtrch.html
EXPLANATION:
Your IP address has generated AOL member complaints and your mail system may be compromised due to a virus or other security related issue.

SOLUTION:
Complaints:
When an AOL member clicks "this is spam" for a piece of email sent from one of your IPs, this is considered a "complaint". If you are having difficulty with the number of complaints you are receiving a feedback loop would benefit you. Once you have requested a feedback loop you will be notified when a member clicks "this is spam". See feedback loop for additional information.

Security:

Please contact your ISP or network administrator for assistance in securing your computer or network. Once your confident the issue has been resolved please contact us to have the block removed.

There were 4 AOL recipients in all, sent via a redirect from my PlusNet account and using the PN server and not one of my own.
It was fairly long and in HTML format so I've tried resending directly and in plain text.
Will post result later but in the meantime does anybody (particularly at PlusNet) have any solution or suggestion for stopping this recurring?
N/A

Wonderful that AOL use the button to blacklist IP addresses!
Although I don't use AOHELL for anything, I have in the past marked genuine marketing messages from various organisations as spam using similar methods.
I did this without realising that this would result in a global "spam" marker being added, and mail refused - rather I was under the impression that this would only mark mails addressed to me as spam, and file them accordingly - kind of a lazy rule based filter.
How many other idiotic companies do this? It seems a very ill thought out policy on AOL's part. I can't be the only person to be lazy enough to do this without realising the consequences for everybody else.
N/A

An update - sending the emails in plain text directly to the AOL addresses hasn't resulted in rejection so far.

So perhaps it's the HTML version that causes the problem - there was a small logo included.

Further suggestions as to how to avoid this welcomed.