cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

E-mail problem ? (Newbie)

N/A

I hope someone can help me, I have just signed up to plusnet and am awaiting my BB migration from Btbohoo, everything went very well with the sign up very easy, however I set my outlook up as per instructions unfortunately it didn't work so I rang 'Tech help' spoke to very helpful gent who went though the set up with me to make sure I'd got it right ( I had) still no joy so he suggested changing my smtp from relay etc to my current BT smtp, did this still no joy he sent test messages from his end I sent them from my end no joy, so he said there may be a delay on the servers and to give it 30 mins and then ring back well I gave it 60 mins (I like to play safe) still no messages received, so rang back spoke to another very helpful gent who told me that the servers don't update till overnight and was supprised the first gent had'nt told me this, happy that the problem was now resolved of to beddy byes I went.

Came home from work ready to send my new address out to me mates and guess what 'don't work' so tried to send a test again from my Bt e-mail and it gets bounced back with ' unrouteable mail domain "barkingspider.plus.com" so I thought I would try you guys out before I got on the phone again,(great start to my new isp) any ideas would be gratefully received.
Many thanks
barkingspider Sad
16 REPLIES
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Just tried it from here and I'm getting the same. Let me look into it.
N/A

Hi there,

I came across this problem with BT a while ago.

If my understanding of your situation is correct the problem lies with the way Bt permit mail relaying, or dont for that matter.

If you are trying to send mail thru your plus.com mail account whilst connected to BT it wont happen. You will only be able to send from your existing BT email address.

This issue is mentioned on one of BT's support pages.

It was a while ago but that is my understanding of the problem.

looks like you may have to wait until the migration is complete.

Best regards

Mark
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Hi,

I think the issue is two-fold, I think first of all there is a problem with barkingspider's account which hopefully I'll have fixed shortly.

The second is as Mark says that BT may not allow you to send mail via their mailservers using a PlusNet (or anyone else's) email address.
N/A

Wow that was quick many thanks PCSNI if thats the case then at least I know it will work when the migration comes through.Thanks also DTOMLINSON am very inpressed with the quick responses look forward to seeing if you come up with the same result.
Once again many thanks

Barkingspider Smiley
N/A

From the bt online support site

Please note:
We can only relay domains owned by your organisation, and we are unable to relay other ISP domains (eg you@hotmail.com).

Does this maybe apply to your problem?

Mark
N/A

This gets more interesting i have just sent an e-mail via outlook from my plusnet account to my BT e-mail address and its gone straight through no problem so I can send but not receive.......how strange :roll:
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

OK, I think I've fixed the problem on our side. Although it might not work until tomorrow when the mail servers update and refresh the details. If it still doesn't work tomorrow let us know and we'll look into it further for you.
N/A

Thanks very much Dave, its nice to know that when problems arise as they always will with technology that you can get help and advice quickly.

Many thanks
Barkingspider Cheesy
lhorwath
Grafter

Hi,

How is it today? If you are still getting problems, please post again and I'll investigate further.

Luke
N/A

Just tried it ,sent a message with plusnet address to my Bt address and from my Bt address to my plusnet address tried it with outlook and Outlook express also did a test message on outlook and all worked.

Many thanks for your help am very inpressed with the response to my original poste can't wait for my migration to come through only 3 1/2 weeks to wait.
Tongue

Barkingspider
N/A

Hi Luke / Barkingspider,

Glad to hear the problem is resolved.

Can I ask what caused it or how you sorted it.

As my original post stated, we experienced this a month or two back with a client of ours and basically just left it alone as we thought it was as Bt had stated on their website, not possible. :?

Your resolution would be of interest to us.

best regards

Mark
N/A

Hi Mark
I don't know how they did it, its all voodoo to me but just sent my bro an e-mail he's replied so no problem there, just set up a second named mailbox tried that and it works just got 2 e-mails from plusnet congradulating me on setting up the mailbox and receiving my first e-mail.

so what ever they did it works

barkingspider
N/A

Glad to here that its working for you.

maybe Luke or Dave will pick up on this and point me in the right direction.

best regards

Mark
lhorwath
Grafter

Hi Mark,

Just to get a full understanding, are you having problems sending or receiving from a PN account to BT, or the otherway?

BT (& us) definately won't allow people to relay through an external mailserver if connecting with them. IE you connect with us, you can only use relay.plus.net.

Luke