cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

E-mail delays again!

N/A

E-mail delays again!

Hi Guy's,

I know you are experiencing e-mail problems but it's now dire and occurring on a regular basis.

I've just received this morning some e-mails that Plusnet servers received on Friday afternoon and that have only just now on Tuesday morning made it across your platforms into my mail box.

4 days! They could have posted it in the mail.

Duncan
33 REPLIES
N/A

E-mail delays again!

I got fed up with one problem after another - delayed mail, over zealous spam filters, constant timeouts - and unfortunately felt I had to move my incoming email away from Plusnet, as I needed something approaching reliability. I just see it as the loss of another value-added product attached to a diminishing service, which I will now have to do without.
Richchad
Grafter

E-mail delays again!

Just received an email sent last Saturday...4 days old , also it was marked spam and clearly it wasn't.....what a joke PN email has become...need to change email...but who to, gmail?
James
Grafter

E-mail delays again!

Whilst I'm not excusing the recent issues that we have currently seen, I've not used a residential ISP email solution for about 3 years. Have always been happy with my gmail account.
Laugh
Grafter

E-mail delays again!

I may be breaking the forum rule about quoting the post above but I am doing it to emphasize the point so please don't remove it. Thanks.
Whilst I'm not excusing the recent issues that we have currently seen, I've not used a residential ISP email solution for about 3 years. Have always been happy with my gmail account.

Ratner said the same thing about his jewelry and then the firm went bust!

Is PlusNet telling us that it's e-mail platform is so poor that we should use something else.

If that's the case then I want a refund because I'm paying for that as part of the overall service (or lack thereof!)

James, that is a totally inappropriate statement to make. Please explain!
James
Grafter

E-mail delays again!

I'm not saying that I don't use PlusNet email because of the stability issues. I've used my gmail account since I worked at MetroNet. The last residential ISP email solution I used was my freeserve account in about 2003.

I'm not justifying the email issues that we keep on seeing. They need to be fixed.
Liam
Grafter

E-mail delays again!

...And we are working to fix them at the moment.

When I say that we're receiving more emails than usual at the moment - I'm talking to the tune of around 50%. We're going to start graphing this on the Portal in the new year (the daily intake of emails) so you can see this kind of thing for yourself, in real time.

That said - we do have a new MXCore platform ready to go in in the New Year which is capable of handling more load.

Today, we will be adding 4 new servers to the current platform. Hopefully we'll have 2 in by lunchtime and 2 in by the end of the day. This should help spread the load and provide the platform with more resource.

Another Service Status will be posted by the end of the day with our progress.

You can see the queues for yourself here :

http://www.plus.net/support/network_performance/mail_queues.shtml
___oDiN__
Grafter

E-mail delays again!

no offense but i dont want to see fancy graphs just emails that were sent today ! preferable in the last hour, the last one i sent to a client (who is also on plusnet)took 3 days to arrive and was too late for that person to deal with the content of the email
stop making excuses/graphs and spin and provide a stable reliable platform for the users.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

E-mail delays again!

I've certainly been seeing a lot higher number of spams than usual over the last few days.

As you are going to graph this next year, could you make a post giving the average number per day from say a month ago and the numbers for the last few days? - just to put things in perspective.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Liam
Grafter

E-mail delays again!

We are working very hard to fix it at the moment but it's not as simple as pressing a button.

If you have a requirement for mission critical email service - then we cannot (and will not ever) be able to guarantee to provide that.

We've told you what our actions are for today - and I've said this is a highest priority problem. We won't stop until it's back to reasonable performance.
Laugh
Grafter

E-mail delays again!

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I know this is a hot potato and I'm sure everyone at PN Towers is working hard to fix it. It's probably Sod's Law that the fix you have planned for the New year will work so the system is fighting back in the meantime.

I don't use Gmail or Hotmail - I only use PN's mail because it provides me with the facility that I want. It was one of the main reasons that I opted for PN all those years ago [ when payment was made annually and not monthly]. PN's mail gives me the ability to have a mailbox for each member of the family and for them to have different mailboxes for different purposes, if needed. It's that flexibility that keeps me with PlusNet. Very few other providers give me that at the price offered by PN. But if PN cannot provide a stable mail platform (and it's about as stable as an England Cricket Team on grass at the moment!) then I may be forced to look elsewhere for my mail needs. If that was to happen then my broadband needs would probably follow.

I'm saying all that so that the message is made clear. Mail is important to me (so it's probably important to others too). The mail problem has been here for far too long and we keep hearing that Sun will fix it. Then something else will fix it. It hasn't and we now await the latest 'fix' in the New Year. I hope that that does fix it because you are running out of chances now.

On the good side, I have personal experience of ticket times being faster. I asked for non-mailbox spam to be black-holed and it was done quickly and well. So thanks to the CS Staff for that. Good work.
grimme
Grafter

E-mail delays again!

It's also the multiple mailbox aspect that we use PlusNet for.

Having said that, at the moment it all seems to be relying on the luck of the draw as to which mail gets through.

Just sent 2 test mails from one external (non-plus) account going to 2 different mail user names on the one PlusNet account.

One was sent at 11.47 and received at 11.54
Second was sent at 11.50 and has not yet arrived.
Liam
Grafter

E-mail delays again!

The mail will come through eventually... Mail is only being delayed here - not lost.
Liam
Grafter

E-mail delays again!

=As you are going to graph this next year, could you make a post giving the average number per day from say a month ago and the numbers for the last few days? - just to put things in perspective.

Sorry John... missed this.

I'm getting the data now for you.
Liam
Grafter

E-mail delays again!

OK. At the moment it's quite a lengthily process to get this data, but I have some here to start with.

The below figures represent the total number of emails hitting our MXCore servers for delivery to customer mailboxes.

Tuesday 5th December 2006 - 6,745,021 (110GB)
Tuesday 12th December - 5,698,703 (152GB)
Tuesday 19th December 2006 - 12,525,003 (259GB)

We'll be trying to get this graphed onto the Portal as early into the new year as possible, but it does show the current increase being experienced.