E-Mail Sending Failure

I am not able to send e-mails at present; getting the message
550 relay not permitted

Any solutions please?
14 REPLIES
waldron
Grafter

E-Mail Sending Failure

Are you trying to send an email from a non-PlusNet account (ie not '.plus.com') via PlusNet's SMTP servers?
Community Veteran

E-Mail Sending Failure

What SMTP server are you using to send mails through? For PN it must be relay.plus.net. If you are connected to another ISP then you can't send mail via the PlusNet SMTP server as only PN IPs are allowed to do that, you need to use the SMTP server that the ISP has.
N/A

E-Mail Sending Failure

I have not changed any settings. I am using relay.plus.net (have been for years). However I see that they are doing some maintenance which could affect the mail servers. Maybe this is the cause?
Community Veteran

E-Mail Sending Failure

Should not affect sending - I've just sent mail out OK.

Re-check/re-enter your POP3 details just in case something has corrupted them.

Also try rebooting router/pc in case your firewalls have gone funny.
N/A

E-Mail Sending Failure

Thanks Peter, I had already rebooted my PC and was rebooting the router after which your your notification came through.

All is well now; how strange it is that my router has worked without a problem for years and suddenly throws a wobbly!

Thanks again.
Community Veteran

E-Mail Sending Failure

Hi,

I believe I know why this was. I'll highlight it to one of the Comms guys to look at.
N/A

E-Mail Sending Failure

Thank you; if you do discover the reason it would be of interest to know the cause. Thanks for all your support PlusNet.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

E-Mail Sending Failure

Are you connecting on the RIN network (usernanme changed to ...@plusdsl2.net)? If so that would tie in with what we're looking at as it may be that BT have added some additional IP addresses which we need to add to our access lists for the mail servers.
N/A

I can't send out e-mails either!

Suddenly, since this afternoon, all the e-mails I send have started bouncing back (although they've been fine up until now). The error each time is "503 No recipient(s)".

I'm using Site5's popmail facility rather than PN's (with no trouble up until now). However if I switch over to PN's popmail I can send e-mails again. So I contacted Site5 support and they responded with:

"It looks like the server is blocking you because the IP address of your computer is in a range that is black listed. I would recommend contacting your Internet Service Provider [PlusNet] and notifying them of this as it looks like they probably have numerous spammers using their network.

You may send them this page:

http://www.spamhaus.org/pbl/query/PBL114869 "

Well I'd love to contact PlusNet support but I've absolutely no idea how to!

If you click on "Help & Support" you're sent round and round in circles for hours! Where on earth is the button called "Contact Support" ... or doesn't PlusNet actually have a support department?

Mark
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

E-Mail Sending Failure

Hi,

To raise a ticket you can need to go to Help & Support at the top of the page then Help Assistant. If you then select the catagory your query is about, e.g. Email, Spam, Webmail & News then you can either follow the wizard path or on the right hand sie of the page is the following:

Can't find what you're looking for?

If you can't solve your problem on the website,
get in touch with our Support Team by asking a Question here.
MacOS10
Grafter

Re: I can't send out e-mails either!

"It looks like the server is blocking you because the IP address of your computer is in a range that is black listed. I would recommend contacting your Internet Service Provider [PlusNet] and notifying them of this as it looks like they probably have numerous spammers using their network.

Yep, Plusnet are listed with SORBS again, which means my emails sent from home (on PlusNet account) are rejected from my email server at work. I've raised a ticket [ 22141664 ] requesting that PlusNet get their servers de-listed with SORBS, but this is happening far too often - every month or so.
alanPN
Grafter

E-Mail Sending Failure

Hi,

To raise a ticket you can need to go to Help & Support at the top of the page then Help Assistant. If you then select the catagory your query is about, e.g. Email, Spam, Webmail & News then you can either follow the wizard path or on the right hand sie of the page is the following:

Can't find what you're looking for?

If you can't solve your problem on the website,
get in touch with our Support Team by asking a Question here.

Would be great if that were there without having to go through irrelevant wizard pages, as there is nothing for this issue:

Yesterday tried to send an email via Squirrel form work, using a BTConnect account. Got the usual dire squiggly letters and carefully input those. It was refused 3 times, presumably because it thought I had entered wrong details, which I hadn't.

Gave up in the end, but my recipient got the email 3 times....
MacOS10
Grafter

E-Mail Sending Failure

As I previously stated, I opened a ticket due to my emails not getting through to my work address. I opened this ticket [ 22141664 ] at 11.10pm last night and there's still no response from CSC at 3.30pm today (over 16 hours later) - they're either extremely busy in Customer Services, or just can't be @rsed to reply. Either way, I'm not impressed.

I've checked the error logs at work and my emails are indeed being rejected because the sender's server (ie: Plusnet) is listed with SORBS.

EDIT: This post must have had the desired effect, just this minute finally had a reply (only 16 and a half hours later):
Dear Mr Harrington,
I am passing this to our network admin team that will be able to look at this further for you.

I wonder what the excuse will be this time?
grimme
Grafter

E-Mail Sending Failure

We had the same issue last week with SORBS, but because SORBS would charge PlusNet a fee to get de-listed, we just got a response on the ticket to the effect of:

"You'll have to contact the administrator of the mail address/provider you are trying to send to and ask them to use another service for their blacklisting"

They did also suggest that SORBS clear out their blacklist every week or so and that the PlusNet mail server may get automatically de-listed.