cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

E-Mail Addy Help Please

N/A

E-Mail Addy Help Please

I am totally confused by E-mail and Webmail so can anyone help me please?

My requirements are one e-mail addy:

1) that I won’t need to change if I ever leave PlusNet.

2) that I can view and reply to on any pc anywhere in the world.

3) that I can download onto my home pc using Otlook Express.

4) As above but for my wife and kids as well that I can download into Outlook Express without having to enter different passwords!

I have set up a domain which I intend to assign my e-mail addys to, eg myname@mydomain.co.uk as I understand I can then keep the same e-mail names forever. I then intend to host the domain on my PlusNet acount, set up mirrored e-mail addys eg myname@myusername.plus.net and direct the domain addy to the PlusNet addy and then open them using Outlook Express. If I leave PlusNet I would host the domain on the new provider and redirect the domain e-mail addys.

Is this possible and how would I do it?
7 REPLIES
N/A

E-Mail Addy Help Please

in my example with my domain name hosted with plus net i think if you do this -

domain name and e-mail in my case

Name - mtxclan.co.uk
e-mail - admin@mtxclan.co.uk

PlusNet email - Admin@joemailey.plus.com

I think thats it. if your domain name is hosted with PN it automatically look to match the Admin@yourdomain.com with admin@yourname.plus.com

I think i'll find the documentation for you :-)
N/A

E-Mail Addy Help Please

Receiving e-mail
The default setting for mail delivery to your Domain is by POP3. If you wish to change this to deliver mail to your own Mail Server instead of that of PlusNet, you'll be able to configure the DNS records required in the advanced configuration section located under My Domains. Information on how to configure SMTP mail can be found on the SMTP mail page under the technical support section of the portal.

Note that when numerous domains are hosted on a PlusNet account with POP3 mail delivery all the mail to the same alias will be delivered to the same mailbox. For example, mail to sales@domain1.com and sales@domain2.co.uk will go to sales@username..plus.com where username is the name of the account on which domain1.com and domain2.co.uk are hosted. This problem can be rectified by hosting the domains on separate accounts or altering mail delivery so that mail is delivered to your own mail server for one of the domains.

Quote it from the link below
As close as i can fine http://www.plus.net/support/webspace/domains/domains_guide.shtml
N/A

E-Mail Addy Help Please

Thanks Joe - I think I'm ok with the domain part of it now its the other parts of my question I'm not sure about.
Ben_Brown
Grafter

Re: E-Mail Addy Help Please

1) that I won’t need to change if I ever leave PlusNet.

2) that I can view and reply to on any pc anywhere in the world.

3) that I can download onto my home pc using Otlook Express.

4) As above but for my wife and kids as well that I can download into Outlook Express without having to enter different passwords!

1) If you use a domain then if you leave us at any point you can just point the domain at your new providers and they should be able to sort out the email for you.

2) You can use our webmail system (http://webmail.plus.net) from anywhere in the world, so if your mail is pointed to us for your domain you can get it anywhere with an internet connection.

3) If you point the mail to us for the domain then you can also use any POP3 or IMAP compliant mail client to read your mail, including Outlook Express.

4) You can set up as many separate mailboxes with us as you want, so you can all have separate email accounts in effect.
N/A

E-Mail Addy Help Please

Thanks Ben. Just went to set up an addy with PlusNet and I'm asked for a password. If I have several addy's will I keep having to enter different passwords to access them?
Ben_Brown
Grafter

E-Mail Addy Help Please

If you want them to have different passwords, yes. You can use the same password for all of them if you want.
N/A

E-Mail Addy Help Please

Trying to get my head round this. Is each e-mail addy a different mailbox so the password applies to the mailbox? If that is the case can't I have several addys in one mailbox therefore one password or can I set up Outlook Express to download several mailboxes in one hit without asking for a password?

Do I need to set up my domain e-mail addys before I host it? Do you know I get charged by my domain provider (1and1) for the actual e-mail addys? It looks to me like their charge is for providing a complete e-mail service so if I use PlusNets there is no cost involved. I wish I was 15 yrs younger! I'm sure I would find this much easier!