cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dynamic ip turned into Static

N/A

Recently i have noticed that my IP doesn't change anymore each time i connect. Can anyone tell me how has this happened? I haven't changed or done anything. Any chance of getting my dynamic IP back because i realy hate static ip! Cry
Thankx Wink
14 REPLIES
___oDiN__
Grafter

are you on broadband plus?
if so its likely you have gone over the 5gb limit and a on a static ip for management purposes

tbh a static ip doesnt make u any more insecure than a dynamic one,,,,,
N/A

Permanent or Temporary?

Is it going to be permanent, because i have passed my usage reset day!
The thing is that i can't go on some websites as result of that static ip and since then the number of attacks on my pc has risen by 300%.
Community Veteran

You should have received an email stating your usage is being monitored.

ou actually get assigned a static IP when your usage looks like it will exceed the 5GB BB+ allowances. The static IP allows PN to monitor your usage more closely and if/when you do exceed the 5GB allowance, it allows them to traffic shape your connection.

I suspect it will remain static even after your billing date until such time that PN believe you will remain withing the limits of the product.

FYI: PN cannot implement traffic management measures on dynamic IPs yet, hence why you have been switched to a static.
aeroalfie
Grafter

Hello I had this a while back, you will remain on a static IP indefinitely - you should however have received an email telling you’re your account is now being monitored ( I didn’t then and still haven’t yet!!! ) there are 2 reasons why your account is being monitored your went over the 5GB peak time soft cap last billing date - or back in Nov/Dec 2005 you used more than 5GB total. (yes I know, you didn’t even know about the 5GB back then, neither did any other customer on the plus account!)
LiamM
Grafter

Just to note, the 5Gb is a certain type of usage too... I had 9Gb usage on a BB+ account last month, and no management , no monitoring. I checked with Plusnet who checked my ellacoya traffic profiles and my type of usage didnt seem to trigger any management. For example, about half of it was after midnight.
aeroalfie
Grafter

Reply to Martin family:

If you are referring to “certain type of usage” as in different protocols: surfing, gaming, file sharing etc : It is my understanding that you have 5GB during peak times no matter how you use your connection, if you go over that 5GB your account will be put on level 1-4 management.
TBH if you peak time usage was 4.5GB I’m surprised PN haven’t put you on a static IP because:
1. You are near your 5GB monthly usage.
2. To monitor individual protocol more closely.
3.ready in case they need to apply any level 1-4 management to your account.

Maybe, with you being a Moderating Administrator on the forum PN have singled you out for preferential treatment :?
theharveyfamily
Grafter

Maybe, with you being a Moderating Administrator on the forum PN have singled you out for preferential treatment

Scandalous allegation Cool
aeroalfie
Grafter

Cheesy
dmhome
Grafter

I suspect it will remain static even after your billing date until such time that PN believe you will remain withing the limits of the product.

I would hope this is not the case. I was advised that if you go over the 5gb limit in a month your account is reset at the end of the month and monitoring stops.

If what you say is correct then plusnet are not trusting their paying customers, which is not a good way to retain their customers confidence.
LiamM
Grafter

Maybe, with you being a Moderating Administrator on the forum PN have singled you out for preferential treatment

Quite right and definately not...
aeroalfie
Grafter

This is the case, if you find yourself on a static IP your on it indefinitely.
aeroalfie
Grafter

Martinfamily:

Me thinks you protest a little to much Wink :lol:
theharveyfamily
Grafter

Careful !!!!
(You'll get your wrist slapped)
LiamM
Grafter

Quite right and definately not...

Reading back what I posted - it's not quite how it may have sounded.

Quite right it's a scadalous allegation and it definately does not happen (the preferantial treatment that is).