Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dynamic IPs

craigbrass
Grafter

Dynamic IPs

Hello,

I think ALL customers on Paying packages should be able to choose, static or dynamic including broadband users on premier and pay as you go as alot of people prefer dynamic to static for obvious security reasons.

Best Regards,
Craig Brass
4 REPLIES
LiamM
Grafter

Dynamic IPs

i, personally don't see any advantages over a Dynamic IP, unless somebody is specifically targeting your address. Even so, the usage would be negligable, and if you have a decent firewall, it's not worth worrying about.

However, if the customer was given a choice, and they wanted it, for whatever reason, this could be a good idea.
craigbrass
Grafter

Dynamic IPs

Well I have seen alot of requests for it here and when I was dealing with a friend's PN account and they wanted to go dynamic, I spoke to a guy on the phone at CS and he said he gets asked this numerous times a week which shows demand for it is high.
N/A

Dynamic IPs

Many folks have routers which are left on all the time, so the connection would retain the same address, and rebooting, or disconnecting and re-connecting would not guarantee you a different address.
Equally, dependant on the DNS server, even if you have a dynamic address, its not impossible to get the same address each time you connect anyhow, because of the way that the server caches its lookups, it is likely you would still get the same one.
It would make it easier to preserve the ever diminishing pool of addresses though, but only if peeps only connect to browse the web etc, then disconnect when they're done, freeing up their IP.
Not against the idea, and not saying its a bad one, and for the most part it wouldn't make much difference to many folks, so implementing it shouldn't cause any heartache for anyone.
Would you leave everyone on Static by default, with the option to change to Dynamic, or vice versa?
craigbrass
Grafter

Dynamic IPs

Yea, leaving everyone as they are and giving them the option to change sounds the best way.